Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - seemingly safe places to live in japan

seemingly safe places to live in japan

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

RE: seemingly safe places to live in japan

Postby Infidel » Wed 06.21.2006 7:08 am

actually, many crimes don't get reported. I'll have to dig pretty deep to retreive the article, but in an article I read about 3 years ago many crimes are not reported because the people don't expect the police to do anything about it. There was a specific quote about a woman that escaped an attempted rape. When she complained to the police, the officer responded, "Well the boys were just being boys." The woman now won't bother to report anything to the police anymore.

In a way, Japan seems to have a lot in common with the Spanish Inquisition. In both, being accused means it's over. If you get accused then you fall into the 99% bracket of people that will be found guilty. There is no innocent until proven guilty clause there, you have to prove your innocence, beyond a reasonable doubt. Your word vs. anyone else's won't cut it, especially as a foreigner. If you are innocent then the officer that brought you in will lose face as well as the entire chain of command and that is'nt something the judge wants to see happen. Besides, they like pointing to a very high conviction rates as proof of the effectiveness of the police force when what it really proves is the appaling number of people that aren't getting a fair trial.

To keep the city's reported crime rates down the police officers are also encouraged to discourage citizens from reporting crimes. Which leads to situations like the one above, where officers will ignore attempted rape charges. After all, she wasn't really raped, so no problem.
Last edited by Infidel on Wed 06.21.2006 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby Oyaji » Wed 06.21.2006 8:01 am

Unfortunately, what Infidel says is true. Most convictions come from "confessions" which are very often given under questionable circumstances and without the benefit of an attorney. Confessions require very little detective work, as no evidence is needed, and a conviction is a sure thing. Although there are legal limits to the time police can hold someone without pressing charges, there are loopholes that make it possible for someone to be held for a very long time.

There have been some high profile cases where some of these practices (which are pretty much unknown by the typical Taro on the street) have been put in the spotlight. Human rights groups are becoming more active as well, so there is hope for reform, though it will be slow in coming.

It's not like some third world country where you might just "disappear" or anything like that, but I would certainly try and avoid being arrested. (I mean by not committing a crime, or for some reason coming under suspicion, not running from the police ;) )

As I said in an earlier post "I think some of the things Japan does to maintain this level of safety are not good. I would go as far as saying there are human rights issues involved."

I have several friends who are policemen, and they are generally very good people. Understandably they don't like talking about this.
Oyaji

Postby Oracle » Wed 06.21.2006 8:10 am

Oyaji wrote:
There have been some high profile cases where some of these practices (which are pretty much unknown by the typical Taro on the street) have been put in the spotlight.

This is probably one of those incidents:

http://www.asahi.com/english/Herald-asahi/TKY200604140159.html
Oracle

Native language: English

Postby keatonatron » Wed 06.21.2006 8:25 am

Recently the police have been getting a horrible rap.

There have been a lot of creepy murders lately, and a lot of people are kinda freaked out about it. In one instance, a little boy was killed. The police decided it was an accidental drowning... until another young child was killed in the exact same place. NOW they know there's a serial killer on the loose.

Another time the cops knew the location of a murder, but they waited to move in for some reason (I don't remember why...) and he got away. :@

Needless to say, after all this many people don't have any confidence in the police force anymore.

But the stuff about lost and found is true. You can drop a wallet full of money in the middle of the street, and by the next day you'll get a phone call from the police saying it was turned in, without a single yen missing. That NEVER happens in America, no matter where you live.
keatonatron

Postby coco » Tue 03.27.2007 11:36 pm

I hate to tell you such news though...
UK woman's body found buried in bathtub in Japan.
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Postby keatonatron » Wed 03.28.2007 2:16 am

coco wrote:
I hate to tell you such news though...
UK woman's body found buried in bathtub in Japan.

This morning I ran into my landlady (大家さん), and she said "You aren't teaching English are you? It's dangerous! I heard on the TV that some Nova teacher was killed!"
keatonatron

Postby chikara » Wed 03.28.2007 3:00 am

Well if you dress like a nice and sexy British woman what can yo expect ;)
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby hiwa » Wed 03.28.2007 4:59 am

I don't like to participate in this thread, but ...

若い女性の安易な(easygoing?, thoughtless?, wishful?, lightly?, or?)一人旅が凶悪犯罪に代浮ウれるようなfatalなaccidentに遭うことは、ときどきある。なにも、今回の事件や日本という国が特異なわけではない。It's not a singularity of Japan. 日本人女性がAUやUSやそのほかの国で殺されることは、過去に何度かありました。

だから、今回の事件をこのようなforumで取り上げるのは、まったくirrelevantと思います。
hiwa

Postby coco » Wed 03.28.2007 6:02 am

hiwa wrote:
若い女性の安易な(easygoing?, thoughtless?, wishful?, lightly?, or?)一人旅が凶悪犯罪に代浮ウれるようなfatalなaccidentに遭うことは、ときどきある。なにも、今回の事件や日本という国が特異なわけではない。

もちろん、日本が特異だという意味で紹介したのではありません。
日本での生活を考える人に、このような事件に巻き込まれないように注意を促す意味でも、治安情報は意味があると考えます。

Please allow me to excuse why I posted URL of such a terrible and unpleasant case.
I hate that such atrocious crimes happen to anyone.
If someone had told her about a terrible case that there was a murder by a pervert who loves foreigner, so that she could pay attention...She might not have been killed.
That is the reason I posted the URL.
(I hope this makes sense.)
Last edited by coco on Wed 03.28.2007 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Postby hiwa » Wed 03.28.2007 6:25 am

> 治安情報は意味があると考えます。
If you install a new thread titled "safety tips for young gaijin girl", it would really do.
Go ahead, please. I also would like read it.
hiwa

Postby keatonatron » Wed 03.28.2007 8:32 am

I think it's important to remind people that there are dangerous places and situations no matter where you go in the world. For most of this thread we have been saying that Japan is quite safe compared to other countries, but it would be bad for people to think there are no dangers at all.

I think Coco's post is relevant, and I think starting a new thread about the incident would just upset people (in its own thread it would make Japan look too scary! Here, it contrasts the nice things we said about Japan to show that dangers still exist).
keatonatron

Postby hiwa » Wed 03.28.2007 8:59 pm

I seriously recommend you to have a subforum titled Safety and Security in Japan. It would become one of the most viewed/posted subforums in a year. In the ever spreading globalization trend, Japan is no more a much safer country compared to others. It is an outright lie, or a kind of exploiter's stance, if you keep talking about Japan as a dream land. If it was one year ealier and she had access, the girl might not be killed. If you want Japan to be a nicer country, you should openly talk about its bad aspects, with the intention of lessening them.
Last edited by hiwa on Wed 03.28.2007 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hiwa

Postby larousse » Thu 03.29.2007 12:47 am

Ah, I agree with the suggestion for the creation of such a subforum. Since this is "the Japanese page" and all, it would be very helpful to include articles/posts, with truthful information, on topics other than the Japanese language, so as to widen the knowledge circle of the users here. (By "users," I mean the "Move to Japan, Become English Teacher" hopefuls, and others who have not traveled to/lived in Japan yet.)

As morbid as talking about violence, death, and crime is, if the public is not accurately informed of these things, then they would be sheltered and continue to dream of the happy-go-lucky stereotype many construct of Japan.

If not, links to other such sites offering advice about safety in Japan would be widely appreciated. ;)
Last edited by larousse on Thu 03.29.2007 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
クーキーが好きです☆~
larousse

Postby keatonatron » Thu 03.29.2007 1:09 am

Well, feel free to start a new thread and fill it full of links to news articles and whatnot. I really doubt Clay (or anyone else) is a safety expert qualified to write articles on "safety in Japan".

People should be cautious whenever they travel, no matter where they go.
keatonatron

Postby ss » Thu 03.29.2007 2:33 am

Thanks Keat 小仔 ^^

>> Hiwa
You can always start a new thread on that topic if you like to, but don’t insist in asking other to do the way you like to see it.

Life itself is tedious. Let’s make the environment here more comfortable and less tense. No need squawk over every single small matter. Your life can be shortened y’know.
Last edited by ss on Sun 04.22.2007 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
ss

Native language: English speaking family

PreviousNext

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan