American English to Japanese

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture
Schattenjedi

RE: American English to Japanese

Post by Schattenjedi » Mon 06.19.2006 3:35 pm

Not to defend his nonsense, but the guy is probably in a tough situation. If he doesn't speak a major language like English, German, French, or Chinese as a first language, then he has to go to a site which uses his second language (probably English) in order to get any help on Japanese.

User avatar
paul_b
Posts: 3210
Joined: Thu 06.01.2006 9:35 am

RE: American English to Japanese

Post by paul_b » Mon 06.19.2006 4:06 pm

Schattenjedi wrote:
Not to defend his nonsense, but the guy is probably in a tough situation. If he doesn't speak a major language like English, German, French, or Chinese as a first language, then he has to go to a site which uses his second language (probably English) in order to get any help on Japanese.
Yeah, and the first thing to do in cases like that would be to explain your situation. Otherwise you're just going to confuse and annoy people.

Iwark
Posts: 160
Joined: Sat 04.08.2006 6:05 pm

RE: American English to Japanese

Post by Iwark » Mon 06.19.2006 11:51 pm

richvh wrote:
If you don't understand the English, then why in the world are you asking for a translation into Japanese, a language you understand even less, and especially translations of such shoddy source material?

Also, literal translations of such idioms as "jumping the gun" rarely make sense. "Jumping the gun" comes from racing, where someone starting before the starting signal has "jumped the gun."
So... "Jumping the gun" literally means to get ahead, right?

User avatar
keatonatron
Posts: 4838
Joined: Sat 02.04.2006 3:31 am
Native language: English
Gender: Male
Location: Tokyo (Via Seattle)
Contact:

RE: American English to Japanese

Post by keatonatron » Tue 06.20.2006 3:21 am

Not quite. It means to do something before you're supposed to.

Yes, for a few seconds the runner who started early would be ahead of the others, but then he'd be disqualified and end up with nothing.

Machina Maw
Posts: 480
Joined: Sat 01.28.2006 9:39 pm

RE: American English to Japanese

Post by Machina Maw » Tue 06.20.2006 4:54 am

keatonatron wrote:
Iwark,
If English isn't your first language, perhaps you should try translating from your native language to Japanese? If English is you're first language.... maybe you should just give up on talking altogether :|
LOL.

Iwark
Posts: 160
Joined: Sat 04.08.2006 6:05 pm

RE: American English to Japanese

Post by Iwark » Wed 06.21.2006 10:18 pm

I have a new sentence for you to translate:

"I'm going to the bathroom. No, really! I'm not going to ask mommy for the rice."

Incorrect translation:"Boku wa toire ni iku. chigau, hontou da! Ore wa okaasan wo raisu ni asuku sanai."

Can someone please translate this? I want a direct translation. I want it to make sence.

Machina Maw
Posts: 480
Joined: Sat 01.28.2006 9:39 pm

RE: American English to Japanese

Post by Machina Maw » Wed 06.21.2006 10:38 pm

Where in the name of all things holy would you ever get the chance to use that saying? O_____________O

Iwark: I assume you joined this site to learn Japanese: so learn it! You've asked for enough translations already. If you want to translate English to Japanese, why don't you learn Japanese? And maybe English while you're at it.
Last edited by Machina Maw on Wed 06.21.2006 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Schattenjedi

RE: American English to Japanese

Post by Schattenjedi » Wed 06.21.2006 11:25 pm

Iwark wrote:
"I'm going to the bathroom. No, really! I'm not going to ask mommy for the rice."
:D:D:D

Iwark
Posts: 160
Joined: Sat 04.08.2006 6:05 pm

RE: American English to Japanese

Post by Iwark » Thu 06.22.2006 12:00 am

Machina Maw wrote:
Where in the name of all things holy would you ever get the chance to use that saying? O_____________O

Iwark: I assume you joined this site to learn Japanese: so learn it! You've asked for enough translations already. If you want to translate English to Japanese, why don't you learn Japanese? And maybe English while you're at it.
I'd showed you my effort and you don't correct it?

User avatar
becks23
Posts: 116
Joined: Tue 06.06.2006 4:54 pm

RE: American English to Japanese

Post by becks23 » Thu 06.22.2006 6:04 am

Iwark wrote:
I'd showed you my effort and you don't correct it?
No offence but "I'd showed" doesn't make any sense. "I showed" is the correct answer here.

...who says we don't correct;)
"Beckham has done it again at Old Trafford!!"

User avatar
AJBryant
Site Admin
Posts: 5313
Joined: Sun 10.09.2005 11:29 am
Native language: English
Gender: Male
Location: Indiana
Contact:

RE: American English to Japanese

Post by AJBryant » Thu 06.22.2006 10:09 am

Look, guy.

Perhaps if you'd explain WHY you are trying to create such nonsensical things we could help. NONE of these "English" sentences are correct, or even make sense to start with. What do you want and what are you trying to do?

Or are you just yanking our chains?


Tony

User avatar
two_heads_talking
Posts: 4137
Joined: Thu 04.06.2006 11:03 am
Native language: English

RE: American English to Japanese

Post by two_heads_talking » Thu 06.22.2006 11:21 am

Iwark wrote:
I have a new sentence for you to translate:

"I'm going to the bathroom. No, really! I'm not going to ask mommy for the rice.".
ok let me translate for you..

To the bathroom I am going. Really, I am! And as for rice, I am not going to ask mommy for it.

did that help? :o

Iwark
Posts: 160
Joined: Sat 04.08.2006 6:05 pm

RE: American English to Japanese

Post by Iwark » Thu 06.22.2006 11:54 am

two_heads_talking wrote:
Iwark wrote:
I have a new sentence for you to translate:

"I'm going to the bathroom. No, really! I'm not going to ask mommy for the rice.".
ok let me translate for you..

To the bathroom I am going. Really, I am! And as for rice, I am not going to ask mommy for it.

did that help? :o
No it didn't. I thought you would translate to japanese..

User avatar
two_heads_talking
Posts: 4137
Joined: Thu 04.06.2006 11:03 am
Native language: English

RE: American English to Japanese

Post by two_heads_talking » Thu 06.22.2006 12:06 pm

well, if i knew what the hades you meant in english it would help me translate to japanese.. what i am asking for in order to help is a little help from you.. as tony mentioned, maybe a bit of back info on where these sentences are being used and why..

User avatar
AJBryant
Site Admin
Posts: 5313
Joined: Sun 10.09.2005 11:29 am
Native language: English
Gender: Male
Location: Indiana
Contact:

RE: American English to Japanese

Post by AJBryant » Thu 06.22.2006 1:41 pm

Heck, this is pointless and he doesn't REPLY to questions. I'm starting to think about a lock on the thread.


Tony

Locked