Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - American English to Japanese

American English to Japanese

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

RE: American English to Japanese

Postby Iwark » Thu 06.22.2006 1:58 pm

AJBryant wrote:
Look, guy.

Perhaps if you'd explain WHY you are trying to create such nonsensical things we could help. NONE of these "English" sentences are correct, or even make sense to start with. What do you want and what are you trying to do?

Or are you just yanking our chains?

Tony

What is "yanking our chains" mean?
Iwark

Postby Sachi » Thu 06.22.2006 2:14 pm

"Yanking our chains" is another idiom. I think Tony-san basically means, "...What do you want and what are you trying to do? Or are you just teasing us (with all the nonsensical English and asking for translations)?"

But could you please clarify? The members here were asking nicely for you to explain your situation and reason for the translations, but you didn't answer them. Do you want translation practice? Are you trying to write some type of story and wanted to write it in Japanese but are not sure how? Is English your second language? Just tell us why you need the translations, and what you're using them for, and maybe we can help better.

And also, it does seem English is not your first language. If you type something gramatically incorrect in English, take the others' advice on it and learn it correctly. :) ("What is 'yanking our chains' mean?" should be "What does 'yanking our chains' mean?", for one thing.)

-Sachi
Last edited by Sachi on Thu 06.22.2006 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sachi

Postby two_heads_talking » Thu 06.22.2006 2:17 pm

AJBryant wrote:
Heck, this is pointless and he doesn't REPLY to questions. I'm starting to think about a lock on the thread.

Tony

well on this i would agree. ...(not that my agreement means a whole helluvalot):o:D
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby Iwark » Thu 06.22.2006 2:51 pm

Sachi wrote:
"Yanking our chains" is another idiom. I think Tony-san basically means, "...What do you want and what are you trying to do? Or are you just teasing us (with all the nonsensical English and asking for translations)?"

But could you please clarify? The members here were asking nicely for you to explain your situation and reason for the translations, but you didn't answer them. Do you want translation practice? Are you trying to write some type of story and wanted to write it in Japanese but are not sure how? Is English your second language? Just tell us why you need the translations, and what you're using them for, and maybe we can help better.

And also, it does seem English is not your first language. If you type something gramatically incorrect in English, take the others' advice on it and learn it correctly. :) ("What is 'yanking our chains' mean?" should be "What does 'yanking our chains' mean?", for one thing.)

-Sachi

You mean I have to explain why I want you to translate? All over again?
Last edited by Iwark on Thu 06.22.2006 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Iwark

Postby Iwark » Thu 06.22.2006 2:58 pm

Iwark wrote:
Konnichiwa, minna-san. Ogenki desu ka? I have something to tell you.. I'm intrested in seeing sentences translated from American English to Japanese..
I'm wondering of the translation, and I can't think of it.. That's why I need you help.. I want a direct translation. To translate, you must translate it's feelings,
just it's sentence. If you don't, the translation will be poor. I want someone who can translate. Today's sentences:"It's camera angles are poor. And did I remind you of the voice acting? It gets cheezy all of the sudden.." If someone can translate it, I will be thankful.

Wakatta, minna-san? The new sentence is actually "I'm going to the bathroom. No, Really! And I'm not going to ask mommy about the rice."

Incorrect Translation:"boku wa toire ni iku. chigau, hontou! Soshite, Ore ga okaasan wo asukusanai".

The reason the translation is incorrect is because of "No, really". That's why the translation don't make sence to the Japanese people. What does "No, really" means in this case?
Last edited by Iwark on Thu 06.22.2006 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Iwark

Postby two_heads_talking » Thu 06.22.2006 3:06 pm

Iwark wrote:

I'm wondering of the translation, and I can't think of it.. That's why I need you help.. I want a direct translation. To translate, you must translate it's feelings,
just it's sentence. If you don't, the translation will be poor. I want someone who can translate. Today's sentences:"It's camera angles are poor. And did I remind you of the voice acting? It gets cheezy all of the sudden.." If someone can translate it, I will be thankful. Wakatta, minna-san?

well, unfortunately my japanese isn't good enough for all the acting vocabulary.. sorry.
two_heads_talking

Postby paul_b » Thu 06.22.2006 3:07 pm

I've stayed away from this ... thread for four pages but ...

Iwark wrote:
Wakatta, minna-san?

Well as far as I can tell from your English you want to see how English sentences are translated into Japanese just for the heck of it and you're writing them yourself for that purpose.

Nobody is likely to do that.

Even if they wanted to do it your sentences are badly written and hard to understand.

If you want to see English sentences translated into Japanese then you might as well just go to some dictionary or another that has example sentences and search on random words.
paul_b

Postby Iwark » Thu 06.22.2006 3:14 pm

paul_b wrote:

Iwark wrote:
Wakatta, minna-san?

Well as far as I can tell from your English you want to see how English sentences are translated into Japanese just for the heck of it and you're writing them yourself for that purpose.

Even if they wanted to do it your sentences are badly written and hard to understand.

If you want to see English sentences translated into Japanese then you might as well just go to some dictionary or another that has example sentences and search on random words.

You mean my english is still not clear?
Iwark

Postby Iwark » Thu 06.22.2006 3:28 pm

Iwark wrote:
paul_b wrote:

Iwark wrote:
Wakatta, minna-san?

You mean my english is still not clear? I want to know what does "No, really" means in this case. I seriously want to know...
Iwark

Postby richvh » Thu 06.22.2006 3:47 pm

The problem is that your sentences, as presented, don't make sense in the context you present them. Where in the world are you finding these examples?
"I'm going to the bathroom. No, Really! And I'm not going to ask mommy about the rice."

I would expect the sentence after "No, really!" to have something to do with the preceding sentence. As it is, we can't help you translate because your source sentences don't make sense in English.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby two_heads_talking » Thu 06.22.2006 4:07 pm

my best help would be put the sentences you want translated in seperate lines

for example..

i am going to the bathroom.

no, really!

i am not going to ask mommy for the rice.

3 seperate sentences that mean nothing with each other.. if they do mean something together, well , then i am completely stummped
two_heads_talking

Postby Iwark » Thu 06.22.2006 4:18 pm

richvh wrote:
The problem is that your sentences, as presented, don't make sense in the context you present them. Where in the world are you finding these examples?
"I'm going to the bathroom. No, Really! And I'm not going to ask mommy about the rice."

I would expect the sentence after "No, really!" to have something to do with the preceding sentence. As it is, we can't help you translate because your source sentences don't make sense in English.

"No, really" doesn't appear in this web site. "No, really" doesn't appear in WWWJDIC either.
Last edited by Iwark on Thu 06.22.2006 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Iwark

Postby paul_b » Thu 06.22.2006 4:24 pm

Iwark wrote:
"No, really" doesn't appear in this web site.

It did in the other one

まあ、本当?
Oh, no really?
paul_b

Postby richvh » Thu 06.22.2006 4:26 pm

We're not asking you were you're not finding them, we're asking where you're finding them in the first place, and why you're trying to translate them into Japanese when you don't understand them in English.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby Iwark » Thu 06.22.2006 4:30 pm

richvh wrote:
We're not asking you were you're not finding them, we're asking where you're finding them in the first place, and why you're trying to translate them into Japanese when you don't understand them in English.

I get this dialogue from jeffrey.
Iwark

PreviousNext

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan