Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Japanese Myth and Legend

Japanese Myth and Legend

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

RE: Japanese Myth and Legend

Postby Taojinn » Sun 06.25.2006 1:21 pm

This became so what I did not intend it to be, and your right about isolated tid-bits of information but what you fail to see is that is usually what spurs interest. You read or hear a little about a topic and it gets to you and you decide to research more on that subject. That's all I wanted to do, I already know a majority of mythology from various cultures but I wanted to know what others thought and heard about it.

Also sadly enough these new generations are kicking books right between the legs, they rather check the"WEB" .What happen to feeling the weight of the book in your hand and flipping the pages, all you hear now is "click click".
Knowledge is the only salvation for those who seek to exist, otherwise it's just cool.
Taojinn

Postby Reno » Sun 06.25.2006 2:08 pm

I dont think thats a bad thing though, the web is really good for information, like this site. This site will help me more with my Japanese than a Japanese-learning book at the moment.
Good luck with studying everybody and I hope one day I will be able to pick it back up.

Until then, a nice goodbye from me to you ;)
Reno

Postby Infidel » Sun 06.25.2006 2:15 pm

Taojinn wrote:
Also sadly enough these new generations are kicking books right between the legs, they rather check the"WEB" .What happen to feeling the weight of the book in your hand and flipping the pages, all you hear now is "click click".

To me text is text, And however those books may feel individually in you hands, carrying several box loads from one house to another when I move isn't worth it. I now try to buy most if not all of my fiction in e-book format nowadays.

The problem isn't people using the web, the problem is people having easy access to instant answers on the web and not using it.

Having a person refer a book to read is much better than just grabbing the first link off of google. Sometimes there is just too much information. That's my problem with jdic too, too many synonyms and no quick way to determin which to use.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby kanadajin » Sun 06.25.2006 2:28 pm

funny how off topic this thread is already.. :P
kanadajin

Postby Taojinn » Sun 06.25.2006 2:42 pm

I suppose you are right but old ways should be respected aswell, instant information is a good thing but not for all purposes and tense, instant info on building a bomb for one, is bad. Books also have a few advantages aswell, won't damage your eyes after a prolonged period (no matter how low radiation your screen is it is damaging), computers consume what, energy (unless your comp is powered by pedals) books are powered by your hands that's all, they also usually have trustworthy information and more of it (much like your last statement). Either way I wasn't too serious about the book statement it was more of a jab, because I aswell ofcourse read up online. Eitherway books won't get phased out anytime soon, bookstores and libraries are still very popular.
Knowledge is the only salvation for those who seek to exist, otherwise it's just cool.
Taojinn

Postby Infidel » Sun 06.25.2006 3:40 pm

kanadajin wrote:
funny how off topic this thread is already.. :P

トッピックが何これ
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Previous

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan