View topic - Japan Trip

Japan Trip

Japanese, general discussion on the language

RE: Japan Trip

Postby Elumi » Sat 04.23.2005 8:17 pm

Gaijinian wrote:
For more on Nikko, check out
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikko
(It's worth it just to see the pictures!)

Hmm... I totally agree! I like the Kegon falls. Wow! Sugoi, ne? It is so nice!

Enjoy Japan! I might... maybe be in Japan myself around that time...
B)

My sis was just asking me if anybody was going there that we could meet up with. That'll be nice if we do see each other there. ;)
-=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=-
Saru mo ki kara ochiru
(Even Monkeys fall from trees)
Elumi

Postby Elumi » Sat 04.23.2005 8:27 pm

Shibakoen wrote:
I'm afraid you may have opened the floodgates. I've got many suggestions for the Tokyo area.

Oh, what did I unleash!!! :) I'm actually glad to have opened it. You're full of information. Too bad I'm only staying for a week and a half. I'm this close |<-- -->| to deciding to stay there for six months. :D

My personal favs around Tokyo are Kamakura (the old capital with lots of Temples, much closer to Tokyo than Kyoto), Roppongi Hills, Odaiba, and ESPECIALLY Harajuku for shopping, Asakusa for the sites (kinda touristy), Shibuya (just look for the Hachiko exit at Shibuya train station) and Roppongi for the clubs, Shimokitazawa had some great night life but I hear they're building a highway through it. Ueno has a park and a zoo and several museums. Basically just go around the Yamanote line in Tokyo. Almost every stop has something.

I like old capitals! Yay! If I take a day to take Yamanote line I would truly enjoy a brief visits on those you mentioned. I will tell my friend in Japan to check those out for us. Appreciate it!

And definately find time to go to Yokohama. It's very close to Tokyo; I suggest the Tokyu Toyoko/Minato Mirai Line from Shibuya which unfortunately is not a JR rail line but it's not expensive at all, and since they just added new stops and new trains it's very nice (I took it to work everyday). The Yokohama train station has LOTS of shopping with several huge department stores, but the really cool stuff is a little further along the Minato Mirai train line. In Yokohama you can go see Minato Mirai with the Queen's Square Mall and Landmark Tower (the tallest building in Japan with the fastest elevator in the world) and the Kosomo World amusement park. Akarenga ('Red Brick') and Motomachi are great places to shop and Japan's largest Chinatown (Chukagai) are all REAL close. They've also got a really nice park there and the foreigners grave yard is right by Motomachi.

Wow! how long did you stay in Japan to see all these?! But it sound so wonderful! I wonder how much all these will cost me :(

If you ever miss the western culture, Tokyo Disney Land and Disney Sea are very nice and it's on the way to Chiba prefecture.
*takes note*
If you're looking for beaches, I have to suggest Shimoda in Shizuoka prefecture. It's only a few hours by train from Tokyo and it is very pretty, no, spectacular. There's this gondola you can take to the top of this mountain and you can overlook an amazing harbor. There's also an aquarium that has shows with dolphin and seals. This is actually the place where the western world first made contact with Japan, so there's quite a bit of history there. I think the 150th anniversary of the "Black Ships" is either this year or last year. I have a friend of mine (who features prominently in all my pictures) who is from Shimoda so I might be a little biased, but I really think you'd like it.

More notes on that. Interesting... I'm starting to form more plans with these.

Where are you planning on staying and for how long?

Well, I only have two weeks vacation at work. My friend who is studying there is looking for a cheap place for us to stay at.

If you want to, you can probably rent a room in a gaijin house for a few weeks or a few months since hotels can be a bit pricey.

That's what I noticed in the travel package that's why I scratched that and decided to plan our trip with the help of you guys! Much obliged!

If you want specifics on restaurants or anything as you narrow down the places you want to go, just let me know. One restaurant I have to suggest (it's kinda pricey but absolutely amazing food, very romantic) is this place called Queen Alice in Minato Mirai at the Queen's Square Mall. Well, this was supposed to be short, but as I thought of the places, more and more great memories flooded back to me. You can go see a baseball game, but I forget the name of the station the Giant's stadium is located, and there's a mall near there, too. Arg. I can go on and on. Anyway, I hope you find some of this helpful and if you'd like more info send me a private message or email me at shiba501(at)hotmail.com. Shiba, by the way, is the neighborhood I lived in while I was in Tokyo. It's right next to Tokyo Tower and pretty close to Roppongi and Azabu Juban and the Tokyo fish markets. I hope you have a great trip. Just think, at least you won't have to deal with the all the pollen from the Japanese Cedar trees.

You're a well of information and my bucket is full with what you offer. I would like to hear more so I will get in touch with you soon. Domo arigatou gozaimasu! :)
-=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=-
Saru mo ki kara ochiru
Elumi

Postby Shibakoen » Sat 04.23.2005 8:30 pm

Kabuki-cho is notorious for being the Yakuza/Triad controlled red-light district. Supposedly crime filled. I didn't go to Shinjuku much since there's so much stuff to do in other places. My school's head office was in Shinjuku, and that was about the only time I'd go there. Most of the rest of the time I'd go to Shibuya or Roppongi (my train pass covered Shibuya, not Shinjuku).
Shibakoen

Postby Elumi » Sat 04.23.2005 8:43 pm

Shibakoen wrote:
Kabuki-cho is notorious for being the Yakuza/Triad controlled red-light district. Supposedly crime filled. I didn't go to Shinjuku much since there's so much stuff to do in other places. My school's head office was in Shinjuku, and that was about the only time I'd go there. Most of the rest of the time I'd go to Shibuya or Roppongi (my train pass covered Shibuya, not Shinjuku).

My friend wanted us to check out Roppongi. He also mentioned a place where he's going skiing. I'm so jealous!

So did you study in Japan?
-=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=-
Saru mo ki kara ochiru
Elumi

Postby Elumi » Sat 04.23.2005 8:48 pm

Matsumoto_hideto wrote:
ahha

im going in august too

but for a exchange

i have to definately check some of these places when im not in (koko!)

As a student? I so envy you. It's a wonder why I finished early in college. But I guess it is time to take that Master's degree. B)
-=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=-
Saru mo ki kara ochiru
Elumi

Postby Isamu-san » Sun 04.24.2005 7:25 pm

Whatever you do, go to okinawa. Go to narwa too. The deer there aren't shy.
Isamu-san

Postby Matsumoto_hideto » Sun 04.24.2005 8:37 pm

Elumi wrote:
Matsumoto_hideto wrote:
ahha

im going in august too

but for a exchange

i have to definately check some of these places when im not in (koko!)

As a student? I so envy you. It's a wonder why I finished early in college. But I guess it is time to take that Master's degree. B)

masters in japanese???

if so tell me how it is

im planning on majoring comptuer sciences and minoring in japanese

my dream is to work for Konami of Japan

:'(

i can dream cant i?

this exchange im going on is the first step!!!!

im so excited i cant sleep
自由た〜!!!
All things appear and disappear because of the concurrence of causes and conditions. Nothing ever exists entirely alone; everything is in relation to everything else.
Matsumoto_hideto

Postby Elumi » Mon 04.25.2005 12:10 am

Shibakoen wrote:

*shivers*
I don't think I want to go to Shunjuku anymore. Not that I would stand out since I look very much Asian. I just don't like triads/Yakusa/gangs/fraternities/whatever-name-is-out-there... *shivers* I can't stand them...
-=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=-
Saru mo ki kara ochiru
Elumi

Postby Elumi » Mon 04.25.2005 12:11 am

Isamu-san wrote:
Whatever you do, go to okinawa. Go to narwa too. The deer there aren't shy.

Is it true that I can feed deers there? I have to tell my friend that one too! Kewl... do they have like rangers there to protect deers? I don't think deers attach you, right? :D
-=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=-
Saru mo ki kara ochiru
Elumi

Postby Elumi » Mon 04.25.2005 12:17 am

Matsumoto_hideto wrote:

masters in japanese???

:D No... Master's degree in counseling of Psychology.

im planning on majoring comptuer sciences and minoring in japanese

My friend is taking Master's in computer science and it's really tech-y from my end. It's always good to know a second (or third in my case) language that relates well with your course. For example, Cooking/Baking/cuisine courses should include French, Italian or Spanish. Fashion Design courses should have French (I think). And Japanese language for those taking computer stuff and programming. ;)

my dream is to work for Konami of Japan

:'(
i can dream cant i?

Gambatte kudasai! That's a great dream. You have a goal and the next step is to reach for it! Yay! I'm so excited for you. ... ah, gomenasai... my counseling practice just came out there. But truly, that's worth gold to have a goal that you can work on now.

this exchange im going on is the first step!!!!
im so excited i cant sleep
:D Well, make sure you do go to sleep since you'll need it. Enjoy it there and keep reminding yourself the goal so that you won't divert too much in the path you chose. (Sounds like starwars) :D
-=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=-
Saru mo ki kara ochiru
Elumi

Postby Matsumoto_hideto » Mon 04.25.2005 7:20 pm

SUGOI!!!!!!!!!!!

pshyc!!! DUDE

i have always been interested in the acts of subcontious thought!!!!!

its the coolest!!!

well i speak a few languages

farsi
english
german
japanese
korean
and a lil turkish

DuDE its gonna be hard work in the comp industry

especailly if iwant ot work fro konami

i mean there are ppl in india
that will work twice as hard as i will for half the pay

damn indians.......:@
自由た〜!!!
All things appear and disappear because of the concurrence of causes and conditions. Nothing ever exists entirely alone; everything is in relation to everything else.
Matsumoto_hideto

Postby Smooth » Mon 04.25.2005 8:00 pm

do you find it hard keeping all those languages seperated in your head?

Also I'm in Okinawa, and one thing you must do if you do come here is hit the dive spots! Nothing beats swimming next to a huge bus sized whale-shark

上の写真をクリクして
Smooth

Postby Elumi » Tue 04.26.2005 8:59 am

Smooth wrote:
do you find it hard keeping all those languages seperated in your head?

Also I'm in Okinawa, and one thing you must do if you do come here is hit the dive spots! Nothing beats swimming next to a huge bus sized whale-shark

Did you say whale sharks? Are you deliberately trying to scare me?!!!! :D I'll probably check it out then. What's the exact location to visit these?

I just inter-mix the language sometimes. How about you? How many language do you speak?
-=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=-
Saru mo ki kara ochiru
Elumi

Postby Elumi » Tue 04.26.2005 9:03 am

Matsumoto_hideto wrote:
SUGOI!!!!!!!!!!!
pshyc!!! DUDE

i have always been interested in the acts of subcontious thought!!!!!

its the coolest!!!

I totally agree :)

well i speak a few languages
farsi
english
german
japanese
korean
and a lil turkish

:o What tod you mean few? :) I've always wanted to speak German and Japanese. I don't know why. Although it has nothing to do with World War II as my other friend puts it.

DuDE its gonna be hard work in the comp industry
especailly if iwant ot work fro konami
i mean there are ppl in india
that will work twice as hard as i will for half the pay

You don't want to offer less than what people from India offers? lol Cool! If you're hard working and really believes in yourself, you can do it. So I believe in you! Look at that! You just convinced me to believe that you can make it! But if you do make it, free games!!!! :p :D
-=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=-
Saru mo ki kara ochiru
Elumi

Previous

Return to Japanese General Discussion