Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - im going to japan...hopefully can you help me?

im going to japan...hopefully can you help me?

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

im going to japan...hopefully can you help me?

Postby dreader » Tue 06.27.2006 3:42 am

hello fellow japanese loving people im am currently in the process of trying to go to sendai japan for 10months and all was going good until we found out that we also had to host a japanese student here for 10months which i can completly not do, so aparently the only way around this little hitch is to find a family that is willing to host me for free for 10 months sooooooooooooooooo i was just wondering if there was anyone out there that would know if i have any chance of finding a certain family like that (as i have no idea weither or not japanese families are generous like that or not) please tell me anythink you can think of that would help.
Regards
desperate guy
dreader

RE: im going to japan...hopefully can you help me?

Postby keatonatron » Tue 06.27.2006 4:46 am

That's a pretty big request for a few reasons:

1. The family has no idea you aren't a serial killer.
2. Even if you pay for your own food and transportation, it can be very expensive adding another person to the household for 10 months.
3. What would you be doing in Japan? In order to get a visa for that length of time, you'd have to be sponsored by a school.

For these reasons (and more), host families usually go through some sort of mediation company, i.e. a company that does background checks on all the people involved and even pays the host family a certain amount of money per month (that is, if they aren't also losing one of their own to an exchange :D). Even so, these programs usually cost you (the hostee) money, and require you to be attending a school in Japan.
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 06.27.2006 8:58 am

hmm, if you can't put up the japanese for 10 months, is almost bears in mind someone or most couldn't do the same.. sendai is a lovely place, spent 4 years there myself.. but you should really reconsider being able to host a student.. it only makes sense. you learn of japan, they learn of your country. both learn .. i am concerned that you post up a church as your location yet mention that you cannot do it.. most churches already pre screen their families and make sure each family knows that they will host as well as go..
two_heads_talking

Postby keatonatron » Tue 06.27.2006 9:43 am

two_heads_talking wrote:
hmm, if you can't put up the japanese for 10 months, is almost bears in mind someone or most couldn't do the same..

Huh?

but you should really reconsider being able to host a student..

My guess is that he can't host the student because he'd be in Japan :D Usually exchanges like this happen at the same time (or else one family would have an extra member and the other family would be missing one). The only problem is that people who are living by themselves don't have a family for the other exchangee to live with.
keatonatron

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 06.27.2006 10:17 am

actually if you look at his original post he says we found out.. meaning more than just him.. now the we could be implied in many ways, it isn't exactly clear to base one definition or other..
two_heads_talking

Postby Oyaji » Tue 06.27.2006 10:42 am

two_heads_talking wrote:
i am concerned that you post up a church as your location

I believe Christchurch refers to his city, not an actual church. ;)

OP, are you asking if we can actually help you find a family, or are you just asking if, from our collective experience, we think it would be possible to find such a family?

What are your circumstances? Are you being sponsored by some organization? Are going to go to school? Work? Are you just hoping to hang out in Japan for a while, and need a place to stay?

I don't know if anyone here can actually help you or not, but if you can be a little more specific we can certainly give it our best.
Oyaji

Postby dreader » Wed 06.28.2006 3:45 am

hey guyz so many responces so quick u guyz rock! um yes Christchurch is a city in New Zealand not an achual church lol :) well im a student at a school in chch and sendai school is our sister school so it would be organised through the schools and we would attend their school over there and we would already be paying for our plane ticket insurence and spending money which all works out to be quite alot so we cant afford to pay the host family fees ontop of all that and they would of corse be doing back groung cheaks on myself and the host family(and i am not a serial killer thank you very much). so yes all i was asking was if u would think their would be much of a chance their would be a family there that would be willing to host me for free, coz from where im sitting that doesnt seem very likely and that'll piss me right off coz im so pumpd bout going!! ive been to kurashiki japan and that was awsum! and would love to go again
dreader

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 06.28.2006 9:29 am

there might be, but not living in sendai, i would not be of much help.. sorry
two_heads_talking

Postby keatonatron » Wed 06.28.2006 9:29 am

It all depends on the program your school offers. Usually they have to accomidate you; I'd be really surprised if they forced you to find your own housing. If it's a college you're talking about, they should have dorms you can stay in. In any case, many schools have a prgram where they find local families to host students (they get paid rent of course), and the students aren't required to host a Japanese person in return.

Obviously the best way to get the answers is to talk to your school :|
keatonatron

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan