Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - View/Type Japanese

View/Type Japanese

Feel free to practice writing in Japanese or romaji. Help each other out with corrections or replying back in Japanese

View/Type Japanese

Postby okashi_yasha » Sat 04.23.2005 8:16 pm

Hello, i was wondering if any of you know where i can download anything to view japanese because when i see it online, it only comes out in numbers and symbols. Also i would like to know where i can download font to type in japanese on microsoft word. Any suggestions would be very appreciated ^_^ :)...
okashi_yasha

RE: View/Type Japanese

Postby Shibakoen » Sat 04.23.2005 8:46 pm

There needs to be something on the site dedicated to this question because this exact thing gets asked almost every day. I don't intend to be mean or anything, I'm just noting that many threads are created asking this question over and over. Maybe if there was a FAQ in the Downloads section or a cyber-neon sign pointing to where you can find instructions on how/where to download the appropriate software from Microsoft. I'm not very well versed in computers, so I don't know exactly how to explain it, but basically if you go to the microsoft website they have free downloads for language fonts. To read Japanese in your browser, hit Alt+v and select Character Encoding under the View menu. There you should be able to select the Japanese characters and this will let you read Japanese websites. There's also another download you can get from Microsoft that allows you to get a "Language Bar" that you can use to type in Japanese.
Shibakoen

RE: :)

Postby okashi_yasha » Sat 04.23.2005 8:53 pm

Shibakoen wrote:
I don't intend to be mean or anything, I'm just noting that many threads are created asking this question over and over.

Thanks!!!! and yeah i bet that gets pretty annoying... ^_^
okashi_yasha

Postby Shibakoen » Sat 04.23.2005 9:36 pm

It's not a big deal. It's just that it would be a good idea to have all that info in some place that's really obvious so everyone will find it when they first check out the site, or go to a page with kana and kanji.
Shibakoen

Postby dreamingxashley » Sat 04.23.2005 10:02 pm

The IME stuff and info is all located on the micro$oft site.
--Ashley
dreamingxashley

Postby okashi_yasha » Sun 04.24.2005 9:37 pm

Ok Thanks ^_^ :D!!!
okashi_yasha

Postby Daisuke » Mon 04.25.2005 7:55 am

Shibakoen wrote:
There needs to be something on the site dedicated to this question because this exact thing gets asked almost every day. I don't intend to be mean or anything, I'm just noting that many threads are created asking this question over and over. Maybe if there was a FAQ in the Downloads section or a cyber-neon sign pointing to where you can find instructions on how/where to download the appropriate software from Microsoft. I'm not very well versed in computers, so I don't know exactly how to explain it, but basically if you go to the microsoft website they have free downloads for language fonts. To read Japanese in your browser, hit Alt+v and select Character Encoding under the View menu. There you should be able to select the Japanese characters and this will let you read Japanese websites. There's also another download you can get from Microsoft that allows you to get a "Language Bar" that you can use to type in Japanese.

There is allready a faq. Click 'FAQ' to the left, and then click 'Computers & Software'.

[Edit]: Just noticed it isn't an IME faq, it is how to install the Japanese Language pack with the windows cd.
Last edited by Daisuke on Mon 04.25.2005 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Daisuke
Site Admin

Postby kossori » Mon 04.25.2005 9:07 am

First off:

To view Japanese on a Windows System via Internet Explorer you do not NEED Global IME Japanese. Just:

View -> Encoding -> More -> Japanese to start the download.

If you wish to type Japanese download the Global IME Japanese from the http://www.microsoft.com website. Install, Restart, Return, open the IME and type away. :)
私達は決して実際に存在していない・・・私達が覚えられていなければ
kossori

Postby ohemgee » Mon 04.25.2005 1:58 pm

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en

How does it work? Type romaji in, and out comes kana/kanji. You'll have to play around with it to figure it out.
ohemgee

Postby okashi_yasha » Mon 04.25.2005 2:18 pm

Thanks for all the help everyone!!! :D
okashi_yasha

Postby keiko » Mon 05.30.2005 3:09 pm

i have a question about all of this...

i went to the micorsoft site to get the download but it says that there is already a version of this on my windows and that i don't need to download it. i searched all over and used the windows help like it said and could make sense of any of it!

any suggestions?

Edit--
Ok, i went ahead and downloaded the program (it's huge!) but i'm really not sure how to use it. i tried using it in word but the directions are really confusing and weird things keep happening. is the language bar really that complex to use???
Last edited by keiko on Mon 05.30.2005 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--keiko
keiko

Postby dai » Sun 07.03.2005 7:44 pm

you have to go to Start>Control Panel>Regional and Language Settings>Language and click on "Install files for east asian languages" then apply. You may need the Windows CD to install the files.
Nan da yo!? Nante shitsurei na. Kiero!
dai

Postby Flawed77 » Mon 08.08.2005 7:37 pm

Then you can open a new text document, right click in the text area and click open IME then type and it turns into the japanese characters. Oh, before that on the toolbar at the bottom of the screen you have to change it to Japanese.
Last edited by Flawed77 on Mon 08.08.2005 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flawed77

RE: Microsoft IME usage

Postby dreimer » Thu 08.18.2005 7:32 pm

The IME certainly displays Hiragana, Katakana, but it doesn't really explain under what circumstances you would use either. It's a bit difficult to figure out, and there is no comprehensive tutorial that I've been able to find yet. For example, I have a few flyers I got in Nagasaki, and I haven't been able to duplicate the flyer's version of "Nagasaki"...The IME gives a bunch of different versions, but none the look anywhere close. If I type in ENGLISH "Nagasaki", and hit "Translate", and go from ENGLISH to Japanese, it converts perfectly to what the flyer shows.

So...in summary, the IME is good at displaying the kana, but doesn't tell you HOW to use the kana...

Make sense? I Hope so...I'm just starting to learn this stuff too, and this confused me for a while...
dreimer

Postby Christian_ » Thu 08.18.2005 7:36 pm

If you have Windows XP Home you do not need to download anything to type in japanese or view it you just have to enable it.
Goals:
1) Have decent proficiency in Japanese, enough to get around/talk/read/write.
2) Visit Japan for a week or so one summer.
Christian_

Return to 日本語の練習 (Practice Japanese)