fbpx

0 Comments

February 26, 2023

Fun Japanese ~り Onomatopoeia Adverbs

Here are a few fun words all ending with a り. These onomatopoeia are adverbs (modifies verbs, adjectives, or other adverbs) or する nouns. If you are a Makoto+ member, here's your bonus download

Learn Japanese Vocabulary Digital Bundle

For more on fun sound words as well as Japanese proverbs and idioms, check out our Japanese Vocabulary instant digital download booster pack for half off savings. Exclusively at TheJapanShop.com (or sister store!)

Bonus Download

Before we get started, if you are a Makoto+ member (any level), great news! You can download bonus content for this lesson. Download a 12 page PDF that covers 50 more of these special words. The download also includes all the example sentences sound files, and a 100 card Anki flashcard deck with pitch accent diagrams and sound. Click here if you are a member. Click here if you aren't a member to learn more about our Makoto+ membership program. It's cheap in price but not in content!

About these Words

This collection of words are hard to classify neatly other than:

• They all are made of four hiragana,
  • End in ~り,
  • Most include a small っ, and
  • Most are onomatopoeic

They are adverbs, but not always. Some can be adjectives or する verbs. びっくり (to be surprised) is usually a する verb, for example.

The と after Onomatopoeic Words

You’ll notice a と placed after some of the words in the example sentences. This is because these words are onomatopoeic in nature and onomatopoeic adverbs are often followed by the と particle.

This doesn’t change the meaning, but gives emphasis to the word.

Some words sound better with the と, some sound better without it, and sometimes it is just added for emphasis. Unfortunately, this is just something you'll have to get a feel for through experience.

Sound as Meaning

Onomatopoeic sounds in Japanese convey meaning much more so than in English. Keeping this in mind might help remember these words. Also, the small っ often describes something that comes and goes suddenly. For example: 

• さっ words tend to emphasize “speed” or “nimbleness”
  • ばっ words are sudden and explosive
  • きらっ words flash brightly

Ready to get started? Let's learn these 12 very useful ~り words. Spend time working through the example sentences to understand how they are used.

びっくり To Be Surprised

(きゅう)に、(うし)ろから(かた)をたたかれたので、びっくりした。

Someone suddenly tapped me on the shoulder, surprising me.

Vocabulary

がっかり To Be Disappointed

テストの点数(てんすう)(わる)かったので、とてもがっかりした。

This week’s test score was bad, therefore I was deeply disappointed.

Vocabulary

こっそり Stealthily

こっそりと(いえ)をのぞいている(ひと)がいたので、警察(けいさつ)電話(でんわ)した。

Someone was sneaking around the house, so I called the police.

Vocabulary

のんびり In a Relaxed Manner

今週(こんしゅう)(いそが)しかったので、明日(あした)はのんびりしたい。

This week was busy so tomorrow I will take it easy.

Vocabulary

そっくり Exactly Like

あの二人(ふたり)は、双子(ふたご)なので(かお)がそっくりだ。

Those two, being twins, look exactly the same.

Vocabulary

うっかり Carelessly

()(もの)しようとスーパーに()たが、うっかり財布(さいふ)(わす)れたことに()()いた。

I went to the supermarket wanting to go shopping when I realized I had carelessly forgotten my wallet.

Vocabulary

たっぷり In Plenty

(かれ)は、たっぷりと(ねむ)った。

He slept plenty.

Vocabulary

ちょっぴり A Tiny Bit

あの()は、野菜(やさい)をちょっぴりしか()べなかった。

That child only ate a little bit of his/her veggies.

Vocabulary

ゆっくり Slowly

動物園(どうぶつえん)で、ライオンがゆっくりと、おりの(なか)(ある)いていた。

At the zoo, the lion slowly walked around his cage.

Vocabulary

うっとり With Rapt Attention

彼女(かのじょ)は、大好(だいす)きな俳優(はいゆう)写真(しゃしん)()てうっとりとしている。

She looked at a photo of an actor she likes with rapt attention.

Vocabulary

はっきり Clearly

眼鏡(めがね)をとりかえたら、すべてのものがはっきりと()えるようになった。

When I changed glasses, I was able to see everything clearly.

Vocabulary

すっきり Refreshingly

掃除(そうじ)をしたら、(いえ)(なか)がすっきりした。

After cleaning, the whole house was pleasantly refreshed.

Vocabulary

Want more? Members get 50 more words!

Bonus Download

If you are a Makoto+ member (any level), great news! You can download bonus content for this lesson. Download a 12 page PDF that covers 50 more of these special words. The download also includes all the example sentences sound files, and a 100 card Anki flashcard deck. Click here if you are a memberClick here if you aren't a member to learn more about our Makoto+ membership program. It's cheap in price but not in content!

Sharing is caring!

{"email":"Email address invalid","url":"Website address invalid","required":"Required field missing"}

Level up your Japanese!

free-kanji-or-hiragana-offer-final

For Total Beginners

Japanese for beginners - Beri-Beri Shoshinsha

This 15-book study guide + worksheets bundle is ON SALE. For just one-time payment only, you will get this bundle for a very low price plus you will get future contents for free (no additional charge).

Easy to follow and understand

This bundle is perfect for absolute beginners. It's thorough without being wordy, giving you exactly enough information to understand the concepts without overloading you with information. 

TheJapanShop.com Customer

Makoto+ Membership

You'll notice many TheJapanesePage.com lessons have bonus content for Makoto+ Members. Well, membership goes well beyond that. Members also get our monthly magazine for learners of Japanese (Beginners to Intermediates), weekly exclusive lessons, Podcast bonus content, and much more.

>