Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Kanji and japanese schools

Kanji and japanese schools

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Kanji and japanese schools

Postby Budomaru » Fri 06.23.2006 11:33 am

this might sound like a stupid question but what the heck :P

are flashcards used in japanese schools to teach kanji? i've been wondering for quite a while about how children learn kanji at school.
You know you've been hanging around a forum too long when people start quoting you and agreeing :P
Budomaru

RE: Kanji and japanese schools

Postby Oyaji » Fri 06.23.2006 12:09 pm

I am sure something like flashcards exist, but I've never really seen them used. They learn kanji by writing them over and over and over, using drill books. A typical lesson is in four parts. In the first part the list of kanji for that lesson is presented, including stroke order, on and kun readings, and some common compounds.

Next they practice writing the kanji, first writing over printed samples, then on their own.

The third section would be a list of sentences which include the kanji, and they must write the correct hiragana.

The final section is a similar list of sentences, this time written in hiragana, and they must write the kanji.

They repeat this over and over.

My youngest son was in the 6th grade last year, and his teacher gave them a list of 180 kanji, and each day they would do one "kanji card" as homework. This entailed writing the kanji, listing all on and kun readings, writing ten compounds which include the kanji, and then writing a full page of sample sentences which they had to come up with themselves. This was in addition to the regular drills I explained above. Of course they also had homework for math, science, etc. He probably spent around two hours a day on homework.
Oyaji

Postby LustBaka » Thu 07.06.2006 12:33 pm

my, oh my, that is a lot of work.
LustBaka

Postby KINGZ » Thu 07.06.2006 12:49 pm

おう :o hmm two hours, I think the only time I would study two hours, was for something like French class.

Hmm Flash cards, not a bad idea, I have been avoiding kanji, for now, trying not to get over loaded. At one point soon, I guess Ill have to start. ahhh no stay away kanji.....
KINGZ

Postby Schattenjedi » Thu 07.06.2006 12:53 pm

KINGZ wrote:
Hmm Flash cards, not a bad idea, I have been avoiding kanji, for now, trying not to get over loaded. At one point soon, I guess Ill have to start. ahhh no stay away kanji.....

It doesn't have to be an overwhelming experience. A lot of the beginner's level kanji are really easy.
Schattenjedi

Postby KINGZ » Thu 07.06.2006 2:00 pm

Yea, might as well get stated this month with it. EAK!!!!! :( ok I'm going to buy
1. Kanji Flashcards 1 Revised 3rd Edition
2. Audio Companion for Japanese Kanji Flashcards, Volume 1, Revised Edition
3. Japanese Kanji Practice Book (for writing)

Anyone know if ordering from "white rabbit" or Thejapanesestore helps the thejapanesepage.com, they both are advertised here on the webpage. I know advertise hits raise money and purchase hits are worth more if they are set up to do that.
???
KINGZ

Postby Kates » Fri 07.07.2006 11:32 am

Schattenjedi wrote:It doesn't have to be an overwhelming experience. A lot of the beginner's level kanji are really easy.

True... but "beginner's level kanji" only last for so long! The kanji Oyaji-san's son was studying would be around the 900-1000th kanji this boy has learned. I'm sure they are pretty complex.

Oyaji-san! Your son knows more kanji than me! T___T (This makes me so depressed to think 4th graders could best me in a kanji quiz...)
Kates

Postby paul_b » Fri 07.07.2006 11:35 am

Kates wrote:
Oyaji-san! Your son knows more kanji than me! T___T (This makes me so depressed to think 4th graders could best me in a kanji quiz...)

Test your Japanese skills against 5th year primary school kids
http://www5e.biglobe.ne.jp/~lead/2005yonntaku.htm
(look for 小学5年生コース NO.1国語 and NO.2)
paul_b

Postby Budomaru » Fri 07.07.2006 11:58 am

i found the method Oyaji posted pretty good, considering its a method used by japanese. however there is a small snag i hit :P the method pretty much assumes you know japanese but simply dont know kanji. although i'm still very eager to use it, i'm afraid it will probably have to wait.

and another thing i've realised: everyone learns differently, but the most important thing about tackling a task as difficult as learning the joyo kanji is deciding to do it slowly, surely and patiently - no matter what you do, it will take a long time to learn all that - hell it takes the natives a long time :P

PS. i didnt thank Oyaji back when i read his post cause i didnt have anything to add, but i'll do it now - thanks ^_^ for a great post and sorry it took me so long ^_^
You know you've been hanging around a forum too long when people start quoting you and agreeing :P
Budomaru

Postby Schattenjedi » Fri 07.07.2006 12:43 pm

Yeah...Japanese kids have it much easier learning Kanji because they have a decent vocabulary to work with. The ideal situation is to know a word before you learn the Kanji for it.
Schattenjedi

Postby Budomaru » Fri 07.07.2006 1:27 pm

and enough japanese to make an intelligible sentence to practice the kanji in :P
Budomaru

Postby Oyaji » Fri 07.07.2006 11:21 pm

I can read more kanji than my sons, though that may no longer be true with the oldest who is in his second year of high school. He knows several that I don't and vice versa, so it's hard to tell. All three of them can write a lot more than I can, and have a much more thorough command of the ones they know than I do. When it comes to a word processor I can type more than the two youngest, both in jr. high, but I'm sure the oldest has me beat, unless it's in a field in which I have more experience.

They have grown up learning kanji in a completely different way from me, and the difference shows.
Oyaji

Postby Sumi » Thu 07.13.2006 12:27 am

One word: Wow. It's similar to the method we used to learn meanings of vocabulary words when I was in 1-4th grades & in Spanish class. Write the word over and over, use it in sentences.
Yep, that seems so familiar. Ah, I can't wait to try it out. It could most likely help me! I also give thanks to Oyaji!

[center]Doumo arigatou gozaimasu![/center]
ねえ、あのう、弟さん、ここに遊んじゃだめだよ。あそこは酸があるんだよ。
Sumi

Postby kanadajin » Thu 07.13.2006 12:36 am

Anyone know if ordering from "white rabbit" or Thejapanesestore helps the thejapanesepage.com, they both are advertised here on the webpage

Haven't heard of white rabbit.. I would buy it from Thejapanshop ;)
kanadajin

Postby spo3zr » Sat 07.15.2006 1:49 am

Is there a website that has a plan on learning kanji from Grade 1 to above?

An organized study of kanji would be very helpful. Mine kanji is mixed up when I'm learning. That's probably not such a good thing.:(
spo3zr

Next

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan