Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Kanji animation won't show

Kanji animation won't show

Spotted any errors or found anything that doesn't work?

Kanji animation won't show

Postby Xmax » Fri 04.29.2005 8:09 am

Hi,

in several Kanji Study Center pages, e.g.
http://www.thejapanesepage.com/kanji/kanji.php?u=1&kanji_id=1
my browser doesn't show the Kanji animation: a big square with the "broken pic" icon is shown instead. Unfortunately, right-clicking on the icon to see the file properties doesn't work, so I'm not able to proceed further to solve my issue. :(
What plug-in should I install to be able to see them?

Note: on some (very few) of the pages I am able to see the animation, e.g.
http://www.thejapanesepage.com/kanji/kanji.php?kanji_id=15&ro=
in this case, the file is a macromedia flash, for which I have the plug-in installed. Therefore, I'm also wondering whether different formats are used in different pages...

Thanks in advance!
Kind Regards,
Xmax
Xmax

RE: Kanji animation won't show

Postby clay » Fri 04.29.2005 9:29 am

Yes, the problem is 99% of the animated files are Quicktime. Most Windows based computers don't have that installed as default. I wish they were in flash or WMF format. You will need to install Quicktime for your browser. It is a free install.

The one Flash link you gave is the only Flash file we have. All other animated files are Quicktime.

Sorry about that. I will make a mention that the files are Quicktime on the page.

-------
UPDATE
-------

I have a program that converts .mov to swf (flash). Unfortunately, it cannot do a batch so I have to open all 500 individually. I've gotten about 100 done now, but will have to finish this next week. Then I will have to upload it all and get the file names straight in the database.

Hopefully, this will help since Quicktime doesn't seem to be used nearly as much as Flash.

Clay
Last edited by clay on Fri 04.29.2005 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
clay
Site Admin

Return to Problems