Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Birthday Party

Birthday Party

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Birthday Party

Postby Oyaji » Sun 07.09.2006 9:51 pm

Recently one of my sons had a birthday. For his party we had hot dogs with Polish sausages and all the works (everything bought at Costco). The boys drank Dr. Pepper (Costco) and my wife and I enjoyed some Guinness (Costco). The cake was an ice cream cake (Baskin Robbins) which my wife and I enjoyed with coffee (Starbucks) (there are Tullys and Seattle's Best Coffees nearby as well). For his presents he got a game for his Nintendo ds (Toys backwards "R" Us) and a sweat shirt (The Gap). The day we bought most of this my wife and I had lunch at the Hard Rock Cafe.

None of this sounds too unusual, unless you consider we live in one of the most rural areas of Japan, and all of those places are within an hour of our house.

Of course the boys are just as likely to want sushi or yakiniku for their birthdays as hot dogs, and don't worry, by default our lives are far more Japanese style than American. But for a long-timer, having these things nearby does make life a little easier.

When I first came here, every month or so I would drive an hour and a half for a Big Mac, and that was about all there was.
Last edited by Oyaji on Sun 07.09.2006 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oyaji

RE: Birthday Party

Postby clay » Sun 07.09.2006 9:55 pm

That's great! I remember shouting for joy the day I discovered a store that actually carried flour tortillas.
clay
Site Admin

Postby kanadajin » Sun 07.09.2006 10:33 pm

lol clay..

Let me get this straight, you drove an hour just to go to mcdonalds.... WHY?
kanadajin

Postby Oyaji » Sun 07.09.2006 10:44 pm

kanadajin wrote:
lol clay..

Let me get this straight, you drove an hour just to go to mcdonalds.... WHY?

:D It does sound strange doesn't it.

When you live in a foreign country long term, there are times when you want something familiar from your home country - anything. I rarely ate at McDonalds in America, but sometimes that craving is just there.

I had a friend from Germany who, when he first got here, thought I was crazy for going to Macs. After a few months he was going with me. :o :D

It appears that for many foreigners in Japan, McDonalds has been replaced by Starbucks as the most popular place for that "familiar taste of home."
Oyaji

Postby w the cat » Sun 07.09.2006 11:45 pm

lol:D
...no, of course i wasn't sleeping... i just had a really long blink...
w the cat

Postby AJBryant » Mon 07.10.2006 12:40 am

When I lived in Japan, it was much harder. There was ONE store -- I can't recall where, now, but it was downtown somewhere in Tokyo -- that was basically a "foreign food" store. The only place to get decent cheese, American peanut butter, and so on.

Shortly before I left, a couple of companies started up mail order businesses of foreign food in bulk. Now, with the internet, I think one could live anywhere in Japan and still get the staples of foreign food life.

But it's nice to know that there are more brick and mortar places to go, as well.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby Infidel » Mon 07.10.2006 12:50 am

I can see Oyaji walking into McDonalds,  looking around, a single tear flows down his face.

なつかしいぃぃぃなぁぁぁ
Last edited by Infidel on Mon 07.10.2006 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby Oyaji » Mon 07.10.2006 1:34 am

Infidel wrote:
I can see Oyaji walking into McDonalds,  looking around, a single tear flows down his face.

なつかしいぃぃぃなぁぁぁ

:( Twenty-some years ago that was my reality.

Tony wrote:
When I lived in Japan, it was much harder. There was ONE store -- I can't recall where, now, but it was downtown somewhere in Tokyo -- that was basically a "foreign food" store. The only place to get decent cheese, American peanut butter, and so on.

That would be National Azabu Supermarket, no doubt. I made many a pilgrimage back in the day. My coworkers always wondered why I needed such a large suitcase for a one day trip to Tokyo. :D

Shortly before I left, a couple of companies started up mail order businesses of foreign food in bulk. Now, with the internet, I think one could live anywhere in Japan and still get the staples of foreign food life.

The Foreign Buyers Club is probably the most popular. I remember their first catalogue: a photocopied print out. Like you say, you had to order in bulk, and it took at least a month to arrive. Now they have a good selection of single items that arrive in a couple days of ordering, of course from the internet.

But it's nice to know that there are more brick and mortar places to go, as well.

I honestly never imagined it would change as much as it has.
Oyaji

Postby Harisenbon » Mon 07.10.2006 7:51 am

My friends and I sometimes make a pilgramage down to the Kobe costco all the way from Gifu. We get my mother-in-law's van, drive down there, shop till we drop, and come back with 300 dr peppers and 14 roast chickens and stuff like that.

I'm always surprised at the number of import food stores, even in the middle of inaka. Every mall that opens up now-adays seems to have at least one, and they're good for getting your small fixes of sodas and tortillas and whatnot.

hmmm.. now I've started wanting tacos...
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby hyperconjugated » Mon 07.10.2006 9:20 am

Tasty food samples every saturday
at price club/costco. I had no shame.
"i'll have one more, plz"
Irgendwann fällt jede Mauer
hyperconjugated

Native language: Finnish

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 07.10.2006 10:36 am

i remember walking into a macdonalds and ordering the meal and realising that i still needed to order the drink and fries seperately.. it was the oddest thing.. nearly 1100 yen for the meal too.. then i bit in, thinking oh thank heaven for mac..

"what the frag this burger tastes like fish:....... and that was teh last macdonalds i had.. mosburger had better burgers in my opinion.. lol..
two_heads_talking

Postby keatonatron » Mon 07.10.2006 11:13 am

two_heads_talking wrote:
it was the oddest thing.. nearly 1100 yen for the meal too..

That is odd. It doesn't cost nearly as much nowadays. Maybe you're dating yourself (might want to be careful about that!) B)

**Dating as in "showing how old you are"
keatonatron

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 07.10.2006 1:13 pm

i am 39 and i have posted that up many times.. i have no issues with it.. but it seems you might..;)
two_heads_talking

Postby battousai » Mon 07.10.2006 3:19 pm

!
Last edited by battousai on Mon 07.10.2006 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
battousai

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 07.10.2006 3:29 pm

trolling is so much easier than winning a pissing match as well.. sorry, move along..
two_heads_talking

Next

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan