Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - 変わりゃせぬ

変わりゃせぬ

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

変わりゃせぬ

Postby Kamishiro Rin » Sun 05.01.2005 1:53 am

こんにちは、皆様!
初めまして、インタネットで神城・凛【かみしろ・りん】と?#92;します。どうぞ宜しくお願いします。

ここから、英語を使います。

I am translating a song, and I have run across a small grammar-point. I would post this in "translation" but I feel that because I'm only asking about the single grammar-point, this is the more appropriate place.

Anyway, in the song, I came across:

〜と変わりゃせぬ。

which very obviously seems to be a modification of 「変わる」- "something changes." Perhaps someone can enlighten me about this ~senu business. I tried googling it, and found several instence of 変わりゃせぬ not always preceeded by 「と」, but sometimes by 「も」 and other particles. I also found 「ありゃせぬ」 as well.
Kamishiro Rin

RE: 変わりゃせぬ

Postby Mukade » Sun 05.01.2005 9:31 pm

Kamishiro Rin wrote:

〜と変わりゃせぬ。

which very obviously seems to be a modification of 「変わる」- "something changes." Perhaps someone can enlighten me about this 〜senu business. I tried googling it, and found several instence of 変わりゃせぬ not always preceeded by 「と」, but sometimes by 「も」 and other particles. I also found 「ありゃせぬ」 as well.

The せぬ form is a classical negative verb form that has survived (in a limited sense) in modern Japanese. It's not something you'll hear in speech too often (barring any dialects that might still use it), and is mostly limited to writing these days.

So, 変わりゃせぬ would be "doesn't change."
ありゃせぬ would be "isn't there/don't have."
Mukade

Native language: English

RE: 変わりゃせぬ

Postby Kamishiro Rin » Mon 05.02.2005 1:45 pm

Mukade wrote:
Kamishiro Rin wrote:

〜と変わりゃせぬ。

which very obviously seems to be a modification of 「変わる」- "something changes." Perhaps someone can enlighten me about this 〜senu business. I tried googling it, and found several instence of 変わりゃせぬ not always preceeded by 「と」, but sometimes by 「も」 and other particles. I also found 「ありゃせぬ」 as well.

The せぬ form is a classical negative verb form that has survived (in a limited sense) in modern Japanese. It's not something you'll hear in speech too often (barring any dialects that might still use it), and is mostly limited to writing these days.

So, 変わりゃせぬ would be "doesn't change."
ありゃせぬ would be "isn't there/don't have."

Makoto ni arigatou gozaimashita!
Kamishiro Rin

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems