Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - What am I doing wrong?

What am I doing wrong?

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

What am I doing wrong?

Postby KooriKame » Wed 07.12.2006 1:41 pm

No matter wat i do...

i cant get japanese right... i cant remember hirigana or katakana... :|

i never pronounce the word right... :@

and my parents think learning japanese is a waste, and they wont let me take a class...

i wish i was a giving up kind of person... :(

http://www.myspace.com/full_fledged
SAYO ♥s YOU!
KooriKame

RE: What am I doing wrong?

Postby kanadajin » Wed 07.12.2006 1:58 pm

Not many people take japanese classes.. just buy a book or something. Pronounciation is easy, it shows you how in the grammar section of TJP It's the first thing there.

If you want your pronounciation to be better get skype and talk to people on the mic, or watch anime or something where there are native Japanese speakers.
kanadajin

Postby DuffMan » Wed 07.12.2006 2:10 pm

have you tried the hiragana & katakana lessons from this site?
I find them very easy to learn with the mnemonics and stuff but just don't try too hard on them. I first tried 4 lessons a day but that didn't went very smooth so i just tried a couple of lessons less in a day. Just see what works best for you, you'll make it. Learning a language isn't impossible you know ;) some people just need more time with languages.
がんばって!
Last edited by DuffMan on Wed 07.12.2006 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DuffMan

Postby kanadajin » Wed 07.12.2006 2:43 pm

Yes, and japanese isn't hard at all.. It just seems that way.
kanadajin

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 07.12.2006 4:15 pm

KooriKame wrote:
No matter wat i do...

i cant get japanese right... i cant remember hirigana or katakana... :|

i never pronounce the word right... :@

and my parents think learning japanese is a waste, and they wont let me take a class...

first, hiragana and katakana are not the easiest things to remember. i remember how hard it was for me. but when it clicked, it was awesome.. keep up the work. All you need is some encouragement. that is all

pronounciation is a bit tricky but once you get teh 5 vowel sounds down, it's as easy as punch..

and as for your parents, it really makes me sad when parents do not encourage their little ones. encouragement is the key to learning anything. as for then thinking it is a waste, well, even if they think so, and i disagree with them, as they are obviously not thinking of you or your likes and desires.

maybe you should compose your thoughts and call them together and explain why you think it is important to you and what you would like to do with it..

they are more than likely concerned with why? how much? where? when? and who ? those questions should be addressed to them..

good luck and hang in there.. it will all work out in the wash.
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby kanadajin » Wed 07.12.2006 5:53 pm

first, hiragana and katakana are not the easiest things to remember. i remember how hard it was for me

Kana IS easy, You probably didn't learn a easy way. A good way to help you learn them is the kana program on TJP in the download section.

and as for your parents, it really makes me sad when parents do not encourage their little ones. encouragement is the key to learning anything

Yup, It's weird how they would do that.. Oh well, LIke I said get a book, Japanese lessons isn't something many people do.

maybe you should compose your thoughts and call them together and explain why you think it is important to you and what you would like to do with it..

That sounds like a good idea to me.. Unless you know your parents wont care, but i'd still give it a shot.

i wish i was a giving up kind of person...

No you don't, Japanese is the best language.. Sometimes I've thought of quiting and I have quit many times but the members of TJP without even knowing I quit got me to start again. TJP is a great place not just to learn japanese, but everyone here is awesome.
kanadajin

Postby KINGZ » Wed 07.12.2006 6:27 pm

Hiya there KooriKame.
Everyone has their unique way of learning, and some things take longer than other things. I’m someone new to Japanese language myself, only started on my own last month. But being this is my third language it’s getting easier.

I have found "Power Japanese" software to very helpful. It starts you off with the hiragana or katakana and their Proper pronunciation with sound files, and teaches stroke. It has a few games and test to help you out to. Thats just the start with.

It takes some time, but after awile it all start to come together other than Kanji
ahhhhhhhh.:D
Last edited by KINGZ on Wed 07.12.2006 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KINGZ

Postby Sakana_12345 » Wed 07.12.2006 6:48 pm

Yeah I've only been learning for a few weeks, I was discouraged at first when I saw the amount of characters I had to learn, but now that I've just finished learning hiragana I WANT to learn more. Keep practicing regulary and accomplish something, theres nothing better than the satisafaction of knowing you have accomplished something useful.
Sakana_12345

Postby DuffMan » Wed 07.12.2006 8:24 pm

My god even I am completely in joy when I see this wonderfull community, everybody's encouraging each other, you truly are wonderfull people :p look at me being all sensitive and shit :o
no but you really shouldn't give up on japanese, once you get the grip of it it's wonderfull,
did you ever thought of the fact that maybe it's all in your head that you can't do it or that it's hard, if it is so you should , every time you catch yourself thinking it's hard, think the exact opposite and that you CAN do it, if so many people on this website, heck even so many people in the world can do it, why not you. You've got the chance to do it, why not grab it and don't give a shit about what your parents think ( i hope your parents aren't reading this :p)
DuffMan

Postby Viche » Thu 07.13.2006 4:03 pm

My god even I am completely in joy when I see this wonderfull community, everybody's encouraging each other, you truly are wonderfull people look at me being all sensitive and shit
no but you really shouldn't give up on japanese, once you get the grip of it it's wonderfull,
did you ever thought of the fact that maybe it's all in your head that you can't do it or that it's hard, if it is so you should , every time you catch yourself thinking it's hard, think the exact opposite and that you CAN do it, if so many people on this website, heck even so many people in the world can do it, why not you. You've got the chance to do it, why not grab it and don't give a shit about what your parents think ( i hope your parents aren't reading this )

see this is why i love learning japanese here the whole comunity is so srtong and everyone rallies each other on. Dont worry about thinking ure gonna fail 'cause sometimes its nice when you prove yourself wrong. Take that negitivity that your parents aregiving you and turn it around let it spur you on and aspire to prove them wrong. then when you are successful you can show them how wrong them just how wrong they are.

Anyone else thinking of quiting? Don't! just remember that it is possible if you try.

がんばって!!:D
Viche

Postby Super S aka Satomi » Thu 07.13.2006 4:50 pm

lmao... their not reading it duffman...
本当に大切なもの以外
全て捨ててしまえたら
いいのにね
現実はただ残酷で

Super S aka Satomi

Return to General off topic