Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - japanese names ???

japanese names ???

Do you have a translation question?

japanese names ???

Postby Ryuuzaki_Raito » Sun 05.01.2005 12:04 pm

can somebody explaine why 月(tsuki) 夜 (yoru)神(kami) are pronounced as raito yagami....i'm confused.
And is it ok to write なると(hiragana) instead of ナルト(katakana) for naruto's name. thnx ;)
Ryuuzaki_Raito

RE: japanese names ???

Postby Kamishiro Rin » Sun 05.01.2005 1:07 pm

Ryuuzaki_Raito wrote:
can somebody explaine why 月(tsuki) 夜 (yoru)神(kami) are pronounced as raito yagami....i'm confused.
And is it ok to write なると(hiragana) instead of ナルト(katakana) for naruto's name. thnx ;)

Well, I can't explain "raito" but . . .

音読み: - YA
訓読み:よ、よる - yo, yoru

And, 神「かみ」changes to 「がみ」often in cases where it follows a voiced syllable like ヤ.

Finally, I imagine that なると would be perfectly acceptable.
Kamishiro Rin

Postby clay » Sun 05.01.2005 1:09 pm

Ryuuzaki_Raito wrote:

I have never heard of 月 having a name reading of 'raito.' Perhaps someone is playing with words. Since 月 (moon) gives light, they made a nickname for themself?

But YA is a reading for 夜 and the K in kami changes to a harder G when combined.

I don't think 'naruto' is a name. But I could be mistaken. My wife is asleep so I can't ask :D
clay
Site Admin

Postby Ryuuzaki_Raito » Sun 05.01.2005 10:12 pm

Ohh....now i understand. I read this manga DEATHNOTE and the one of the main charater was named Yagami Raito, but now they changed it to Yagami Light ;)
Ryuuzaki_Raito

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion