Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - tips for learning japanese???

tips for learning japanese???

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

tips for learning japanese???

Postby C0kaCoLa » Fri 07.14.2006 11:38 am

I have just started taking a course on japanese and i want to know if there's any tips that can help me improve my japanese as i attend the class???
C0kaCoLa

RE: tips for learning japanese???

Postby saraLynne » Fri 07.14.2006 1:28 pm

Do what they tell you. Practice a lot on your own time writing the characters you learn and saying example sentences to yourself. If they don't require you to do all the exercizes in your textbook, do all of them anyway. The more you put into it, the more you'll get out.
saraLynne

Postby Yuri Yuri » Fri 07.14.2006 2:25 pm

saraLynne wrote:
Do what they tell you. Practice a lot on your own time writing the characters you learn and saying example sentences to yourself. If they don't require you to do all the exercizes in your textbook, do all of them anyway. The more you put into it, the more you'll get out.

Wow nice advice... That is true... you have a duty as a student to learn on your own... if the resources are available to you, then you should take advantage of them. You cant blame the teacher for what the student didnt want to do! DOnt worry if you follow SaraLynne's tips you'll be fine! :D
Yuri Yuri

Postby Jon13 » Fri 07.14.2006 4:08 pm

Can't say i know if these work in the long term as i only started studying recently myself.
But i found the following has helped me so far.

Putting Kana/Kanji on flashcards and testing yourself regularly.
Getting someone you know to randomly pull spot tests on you.
If you find yourself getting bored or tired when studying take a break and come back later to see if what you've learned has stuck.
Try to find a friend or talk someone else into studying with you.
And from what i've heard (which is what i've been doing) is it's best to avoid romanji as far as possible when learning.

that's all i can think of, off the top of my head, but either way best of luck.
Jon13

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips