Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Important points when writing in Japanese

Important points when writing in Japanese

Japanese, general discussion on the language

RE: Important points when writing in Japanese

Postby chikara » Wed 07.12.2006 11:02 pm

keatonatron wrote:
Here are some important things to keep in mind when writing Japanese on this forum. This is a mental list I have compiled while reading people's posts and Japanese practice.

Point one: Kanji

Do not greet everyone with "今日は".

I obviously hadn't read this thread before my first post on these forums yesterday as I started my post with that exact Kanji. :o

I am interested to read that this should not be used as the reason I use it is that my Japanese teacher, a 日本人, starts her emails this way. I admit that the first time I saw 「今日は」 I thought "as for today".
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby Infidel » Wed 07.12.2006 11:07 pm

teachers trying to familiarize their students with kanji will do that until the kanji become familiar, then they usually tell the students to stop it later on.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby ss » Thu 07.13.2006 4:44 am

Coco-san wrote
It's very hard to explain ( at least for me ).
It must be "unreasonable/absurd/incongruous/etc." enough for you (even for me), but it is. Also not so many people try to tell you about these very important/ delicate topics, I think. Therefore I believe this thread is very important.

Related threads might be
Usage of 二人称の人代?
絶対におかしい
Bored Japanese Ranting ^_^
Feminine and Masculine Japanese
礼節の問題
Politeness levels
Related articles by clay-san.
The Various Degrees of Politeness
I, me, you, thou...

Everyone appreciates politeness. A smile, a few friendly words, a show of concern, an offer of help - gestures of kindness like these brighten our days.

Just as we appreciate other people being polite to us, others appreciate it when we are polite to them. That's why it is important to learn to be polite, because it will help make our relationships and interactions with others more satisfying and free from problems.

But it is not always easy to be polite and respectful. Somtimes we are caught up in our work and responsibilities, being polite and kind are the last thing we feel like doing. Tjp is such an awesome place as we, not only learning the languages, but manners. Practising politeness is like playing the piano : the more you practise, the better you become.

May this thread help to bring us peace and joy as we learn .......
ss

Native language: English speaking family

Postby paul_b » Thu 07.13.2006 4:53 am

Nobody seems to have mentioned みんなさん yet. You wouldn't believe the number of times I see that used but it should really be みな, みんな or みなさん.
paul_b

Postby AJBryant » Thu 07.13.2006 9:49 am

Nobody seems to have mentioned みんなさん yet. You wouldn't believe the number of times I see that used but it should really be みな, みんな or みなさん.

I've corrected a few people in the past with that one. I don't know why, but みんなさん/minna-san is one of my buttons...

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby keatonatron » Thu 07.13.2006 10:00 am

That was someone's sig in the old forum. I guess I hadn't noticed it enough here to think to include it.
keatonatron

Postby two_heads_talking » Thu 07.13.2006 11:33 am

AJBryant wrote:

I've corrected a few people in the past with that one. I don't know why, but みんなさん/minna-san is one of my buttons...

Tony

of course if your last name is minna it works perfectly.. (evil grin)
two_heads_talking

Postby paul_b » Thu 07.13.2006 11:59 am

AJBryant wrote:
I don't know why, but みんなさん/minna-san is one of my buttons...

I think the reason it bugs me is that it (and probably romanji) is one of those things that people learning Japanese have been "teaching" each other. I get the feeling that if you don't nip it in the bud there'll be another generation growing up to use it. :-/
paul_b

Postby AJBryant » Thu 07.13.2006 1:55 pm

Agreed, Paul. That's one of the inherent dangers of peer-teaching.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby Super S aka Satomi » Thu 07.13.2006 3:34 pm

thats what it translates out to... today...
本当に大切なもの以外
全て捨ててしまえたら
いいのにね
現実はただ残酷で

Super S aka Satomi

Postby Jon13 » Fri 07.14.2006 8:09 pm

Well i found this thread both very interesting and in a sense a little horrifying.
Interesting because it's given me a good idea of just how important politeness in the language is as well as how deep a pool i've jumped in trying to learn it.

What does worry me is how easy it would be to offend people. Despite being an absolute beginner i'd love to post more and even spend some time in the chat room to both practise and speak to other people learning the same language. After reading this thread though i'll always have the worry of offending someone out of my ignorance of the language. Though i know it'll probably become less of a problem as i learn more.

But in the mean time is there anything i can do to avoid sounding like an Ass/idiot when i start using japanese to speak to others?
Jon13

Postby tanuki » Fri 07.14.2006 8:45 pm

Don't worry too much at the beginning. If you want to start using Japanese right away with "real people", I suggest you take the "masu-path". That is, find books/resources that start by teaching you the masu (i.e. polite) forms of the verbs. They will also tell you which pronouns to use and other things to not sound impolite. That way, you probably won't offend people even if you try.

Oh, and don't use people as guinea pigs. For example: "Today I learned 貴様. I wonder how will someone react if I say it to them?" :) .
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby keatonatron » Fri 07.14.2006 9:44 pm

AJBryant wrote:
Agreed, Paul. That's one of the inherent dangers of peer-teaching.

I think we need to start a new thread about all the crazy crap we've heard about Japan from someone who's "friend's cousin went there and said it was like that".

It really bothers me to see the people who don't know much anything teaching the people who really don't know anything. I shudder whenever I see some comment in the shoutbox similar to "minasan and minnasan are the same, the second one is just more polite".

Jon13,
If you start every conversation with "I am a beginner, please feel free to fix my mistakes" then you shouldn't offend anyone ;)
keatonatron

Postby AJBryant » Fri 07.14.2006 10:41 pm

What I really love is American actors (I'm thinking Tom [ack, ptui] Cruise, in particular) who spends a couple of months in Japan making a movie, and all of a sudden is an incredible expert on the country, customs, and so on. I love watching these morons on talk shows.

:roll:

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby Miette » Thu 07.20.2006 1:59 pm

Wow, this was so helpful... I've mostly known about politeness levels, but the kanji thing really helped! I used to use 今日は all the time, and it always seemed a little odd... thanks for the tip!! (And the other examples of non kanji used words was helpful, as well!! Thank you!):D
Miette

PreviousNext

Return to Japanese General Discussion