Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Tapdancing

Tapdancing

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Tapdancing

Postby Budomaru » Fri 07.14.2006 4:52 pm

i just watched "Zatoichi" for the second time (the new film with ビートたけし :P here's me boasting i know his nickname B))... mmm looks like a spoiler, i'll post it in tags :P

[spoiler]
what caught my attention was the tapdancing they do at the end of the movie. there was a part where there were 4 people with those japanese spirit/demon mask things, and sticks, doing tapdancing of some sort using the sticks as well. then there was a bunch of actors doing tapdancing in those wooden japanese shoe things (i dunno the name of those - which is odd now that i think about it) - thing is, although they were dancing to taiko music, they didnt look like they were dancing in a japanese sort of way, it looked pretty western.

so i was wondering, whether there is a form of native japanese tapdancing or not.
[/spoiler]

*thanks spoiler tags* ^_^
You know you've been hanging around a forum too long when people start quoting you and agreeing :P
Budomaru

RE: Tapdancing

Postby aKuMu » Fri 07.14.2006 5:39 pm

Well in allmost all his Films he's credited as Beat Takeshi ;)
aKuMu

Native language: German

Postby Txkun » Fri 07.14.2006 5:57 pm

It's something I was wondering about too. I think also I saw some matsuri photos with dancers with similar masks (tengu?). By the way the shoes are called geta (げた-下駄). I hope someone can shed light on this... :D
Txkun

Native language: Italian

Postby keatonatron » Fri 07.14.2006 10:07 pm

There is no "Native Japanese Tapdancing" :D

In fact, in traditional Japanese arts there is no fast dancing, so to make the film more exciting for modern viewers Takeshi added the modern dancing style. I think it makes it more fun, because they spend the whole movie sucking you into the era of the film, and then break you out at the very end.

If he really wanted a TRADITIONAL art for the ending to the film, you'd have to sit through an hour of Noh which would make your head explode.
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby Budomaru » Sat 07.15.2006 1:27 am

keatonatron wrote:
There is no "Native Japanese Tapdancing" :D

In fact, in traditional Japanese arts there is no fast dancing, so to make the film more exciting for modern viewers Takeshi added the modern dancing style. I think it makes it more fun, because they spend the whole movie sucking you into the era of the film, and then break you out at the very end.

If he really wanted a TRADITIONAL art for the ending to the film, you'd have to sit through an hour of Noh which would make your head explode.

thanks for throwing a bucket of light on it ^_^ and yes i'm glad there wasnt an hour of Noh :P i havent seen any, but i've seen a 1,5hr kabuki performance (which was watered down and a bit adapted for western audiences though, since the sum of the show was some classic kabuki theatre pieces and in the end a performance to classical -european- music instead of japanese) and it was tough :P. though i honestly believe an original performance of either would have been more interesting.

i've also seen taiko drummer shows twice. hard to actually follow, but i guess that like noh and kabuki, its an art form that you need to have experience with and understand in order to enjoy.

Txkun wrote:
It's something I was wondering about too. I think also I saw some matsuri photos with dancers with similar masks (tengu?). By the way the shoes are called geta (げた-下駄). I hope someone can shed light on this... :D

thanks for clearing up the shoe thing - my dictionary had a bunch of words on "shoes" but no specification of what shoes each word meant. and yes i think those masks are tengu masks.

aKuMu wrote:
Well in allmost all his Films he's credited as Beat Takeshi ;)

true, but on greek version dvds, he's more often credited as Takeshi Kitano ;)
You know you've been hanging around a forum too long when people start quoting you and agreeing :P
Budomaru

Postby keatonatron » Sat 07.15.2006 5:15 am

i havent seen any

You should probably keep it that way. I had to watch a 2-hour noh video in school once... the longest two hours of my life.

They don't.... move.
keatonatron

Postby AJBryant » Sat 07.15.2006 9:46 am

Hey, I *love* noh.

There's no drama like Noh drama (like noh drama I know).

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby crowfeather » Sat 07.15.2006 10:10 am

>>There's no drama like Noh drama (like noh drama I know).<<

Tony<<

LOL Tony-san. This is a cleaver play on words. This may have gone over the heads of the younger members who never heard this song.

"There is no business like show business------------"
crowfeather

Postby Txkun » Sat 07.15.2006 2:31 pm

I didn't google so I may be stoned to death for this but... :)
is there any DVD of Noh? Or of Bunraku? I really would love to see them. :D
Txkun

Native language: Italian

Postby keatonatron » Sat 07.15.2006 8:08 pm

Bunraku is awesome!

Noh is... interesting. But even after you study the theories, techniques, and stories, it's still boring as hell. :D That's my opinion anyway.

For that reason, I really don't think you should purchase a Noh DVD. Try looking at the library. A large college library would probably have something.
keatonatron

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan