Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - World Cup 2006

World Cup 2006

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

RE: yeah

Postby Reeni » Sun 07.09.2006 8:26 pm

that was pretty interesting to see. i was working at the time, and we have tvs at the bar. i was really shocked. overall i really enjoyed the game. i'm glad italy won. it was an intense game. (i'm italian so dont hate me for my preference!!)
i'm a beginner! so bear with me please!!

ありがとうございます!!
Reeni

RE: World Cup 2006

Postby Sachi » Sun 07.09.2006 8:45 pm

Can't believe I missed the finals! :o:o:o

After the US's defeat, I was rooting for Brazil ;) We have relatives there. Italy's still awesome, and I'm happy with the results ^^
Sachi

Postby becks23 » Mon 07.10.2006 5:59 am

Sachi wrote:
After the US's defeat, I was rooting for Brazil ;) We have relatives there. Italy's still awesome, and I'm happy with the results ^^

...So you were going for Brasil the entire tournament??:D

Zizou's headbutt was obviously stupid, no question. However, I get the feeling Zizou was motivated, there is no way he would do it unprovoked.

Congrats to Italy...but damn:@ 4 years of torment to go along with another penalty loss...why am I mocked so??
Last edited by becks23 on Mon 07.10.2006 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Beckham has done it again at Old Trafford!!"
becks23

Postby Sakana_12345 » Mon 07.10.2006 7:31 am

Yeah he was definately provoked, no question about it.
If you look at his past hes been involved in some related incidents involving red cards e.g. stamping on someone, another headbutting.
Bah we know Zidane can control the ball but he can't control himself. :@
Sakana_12345

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 07.10.2006 10:19 am

not controlling yourself (unless you are diving/flopping) is a common futbol/soccer trait..
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby Taojinn » Mon 07.10.2006 11:12 am

Zidane took that guy to the floor, very unsportsman like, not only that he could have cost them the game. France had to play one less player. Either way it doesn't matter now, Italy got the cup. My street was going crazy when Italy won, it's a mostly italian street. Congrats Italy!!!
Knowledge is the only salvation for those who seek to exist, otherwise it's just cool.
Taojinn

Postby hyperconjugated » Mon 07.10.2006 11:16 am

two_heads_talking wrote:
not controlling yourself (unless you are diving/flopping) is a common futbol/soccer trait..

you can say that again
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlaqsOPlt-0&search=materazzi
Irgendwann fällt jede Mauer
hyperconjugated

Native language: Finnish

Postby Sakana_12345 » Mon 07.10.2006 11:30 am

Forgetting about that incident, I am pleased that Zidane managed to win the Golden Ball award, he deserved it.
Sakana_12345

Postby Mariya » Mon 07.10.2006 12:53 pm

Forgetting about that incident, I am pleased that Zidane managed to win the Golden Ball award, he deserved it.

Did he? >.> I thought he didn't get any awards, seeing as he wasn't even called out when the awards were being given out....
Mariya

Postby Daisuke » Mon 07.10.2006 6:46 pm

Mariya wrote:

Did he? >.> I thought he didn't get any awards, seeing as he wasn't even called out when the awards were being given out....

The results was first published the day after the final, as far as I know. Or at least later that night.

And yes Zidane deserved that award.. About the situation between him and Materazzi... Materazzi must have provoked him. Of course it's still wrong to act like Zidane did.
Daisuke
Site Admin

Postby becks23 » Tue 07.11.2006 7:28 am

Taojinn wrote:
Zidane took that guy to the floor, very unsportsman like, not only that he could have cost them the game. France had to play one less player. Either way it doesn't matter now, Italy got the cup.

Could've?? He did, Zizou's dismisal took out France's best PK kicker and their leader. When you are already without Henry and Viera and you add the incident, you just lost your 3 best players and penalty takers. Who leads France now?? Bartez?? France only had to play 10 men for about 3 mins, which translates to nothing as the match was heading to penalties anyway. All the incident did was take France's top kicker out of it.

I agree with Zizou getting the Golden Ball. Without him, France is nothing. Look at qualiying, France was heading for an embarassing exit to the Swiss, Ireland or Israel. His return breathed life into a wasteful side heading for humiliation. Now in Germany was the same, he stepped up when it mattered. Aganist Togo he orchestrated the first goal, finished off Spain and Portugal, and MOST IMPORTANTLY he fed Henry the goal to knock out Brasil. He is a remarkable talent, no question, it's unfortunate that he will be remembered for the red.
becks23

Postby Sakana_12345 » Tue 07.11.2006 10:12 am

http://www.alternet.org/story/38780/ great article.

I praise Zidane for naming and shaming this racist, Materazzi.
Sakana_12345

Postby Shibakoen » Sat 07.15.2006 11:29 am

Sorry, but I will never accept Italy as a World Cup Champion. As far as I'm concerned there was no champion this year. The only reason Italy advanced is because they're a team of flopping cheaters. With the scandal over match rigging in Italian soccer and all of the money that goes into the game, I'm really suspicious of them now. It's a shame because soccer can be such a pretty game when the people playing aren't a bunch of fat, whining, diving, racist cry-babies. I was so excited about this year's World Cup, but, well, color me disappointed.:@:(

[Edit] One last comment about the whole Zidane thing... He should be stripped of the golden ball. I'm not defending Materazzi, but come on. Who here hasn't played a sport and hasn't engaged in trash talk. Hell, there's trash talk in poker and even chess! If Zidane wanted to get back at Materazzi, he should motivate himself to put the ball in the back of the net -- not get sent off. The day after, when everyone was still in shock, NPR had a great interview with a French police captain. His basic point was his boys [the other cops] all have to deal with unruly people and take insults all day. During the riots of last year they had to hear some of the most vile slurs. He said that Zidane's action sets a terrible example. So, in responce to the article you posted: No, his action is inexcusable and indefensible. Like Jordan and Jeter never heard insults before? Guys who over-react like Ron Artest should be banned from professional sports, and Zidane should be stripped of his award. They really do need to do something about diving in soccer. Its prevalence has turned a beautiful sport into an ugly act. The World Cup trophy symbolizes the Oscar of professional sport. May the best actor win.
Last edited by Shibakoen on Sat 07.15.2006 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shibakoen

Postby becks23 » Sat 07.15.2006 8:31 pm

Shibakoen wrote:
One last comment about the whole Zidane thing... He should be stripped of the golden ball. I'm not defending Materazzi, but come on. Who here hasn't played a sport and hasn't engaged in trash talk. Hell, there's trash talk in poker and even chess! If Zidane wanted to get back at Materazzi, he should motivate himself to put the ball in the back of the net -- not get sent off. The day after, when everyone was still in shock, NPR had a great interview with a French police captain. His basic point was his boys [the other cops] all have to deal with unruly people and take insults all day. During the riots of last year they had to hear some of the most vile slurs. He said that Zidane's action sets a terrible example. So, in responce to the article you posted: No, his action is inexcusable and indefensible. Like Jordan and Jeter never heard insults before? Guys who over-react like Ron Artest should be banned from professional sports, and Zidane should be stripped of his award. They really do need to do something about diving in soccer. Its prevalence has turned a beautiful sport into an ugly act. The World Cup trophy symbolizes the Oscar of professional sport. May the best actor win.

He should be stripped of his Golden Ball?? Though that seems easy enough to say, how can you strip it when he obviously deserves it. HE WAS VOTED before kick-off, during AND after the final as the player of the tournament. I pose this question then. AFTER THE INCIDENT why didn't FIFA disqualify him immidiately?? The whole "Stripping the Golden Ball" thing is no more than a scare tactic in my eyes. Over react?? Tell me this. If somone you know starts insulting your mother and family repeatedly, do you "stay cool" or stand up for them?? Obviously ignoring them is the easy way out, but there is only so much you can take before you finally snap. Enter Zizou's predicament and a racist insulting his sick mother and naming his sister. Are you still telling me he over reacted??
Clearly you don't know about the issue of racism in football. People seem to think "wow unbeliveable" and say it shouldn't be in the sport. BUT WHO DOES ANYTHING?? Players like Materazzi are known racists and are still allowed to continue doing what they do and, when convicted, only receive a slap on the wrist. THAT is football's black eye not the whole "you dive so I dive" scenario.
becks23

Postby Shibakoen » Sun 07.16.2006 1:11 pm

becks23 wrote:

He should be stripped of his Golden Ball??

Yes.

Though that seems easy enough to say, how can you strip it when he obviously deserves it. HE WAS VOTED before kick-off, during AND after the final as the player of the tournament.

This was the mistake of the committee in charge of the award. They had already decided to give it to him, regardless of the outcome of the final game. He definitely did play well, though I dispute the idea that he was even the most valuable player on the team, much less in the tourney. Face it, it was a great story line and a way to show respect to a great footballer.

I pose this question then. AFTER THE INCIDENT why didn't FIFA disqualify him immidiately?? The whole "Stripping the Golden Ball" thing is no more than a scare tactic in my eyes.

I think the soccer world was much too stunned to react to it. They had all of the hardware all ready for him to receive it, but face it, one could make the argument that that act cost France the title. Does that sound like the action of the MVP? Costing your team the title? Hell, one should consider giving it to Materazzi for getting the cry-baby sent off.

Over react?? Tell me this. If somone you know starts insulting your mother and family repeatedly, do you "stay cool" or stand up for them??

Stay cool. I'm not a child.

Obviously ignoring them is the easy way out, but there is only so much you can take before you finally snap. Enter Zizou's predicament and a racist insulting his sick mother and naming his sister. Are you still telling me he over reacted??
Clearly you don't know about the issue of racism in football.

Ha! Yes, I do. And I am particularly aware of it as a fan of Spanish football. Eto'o gets called some nasty names. It's a very big problem. Not just in football but in life. But come on, they're just words. When you are representing your country on the biggest stage in your sport you should act like a man and not like a four year old. And I say that to both sides. You shouldn't call anyone names like that and you also shouldn't react like such a child. If you want to be MVP you should be above it and act like a true sportsman, not a Neanderthal.

People seem to think "wow unbeliveable" and say it shouldn't be in the sport. BUT WHO DOES ANYTHING?? Players like Materazzi are known racists and are still allowed to continue doing what they do and, when convicted, only receive a slap on the wrist. THAT is football's black eye not the whole "you dive so I dive" scenario.

Actually both are. The "you dive so I dive" problem is what makes the game ugly to watch. The last pretty game of the whole World Cup was Argentina vs. Mexico. It was a fantastic game even though there was no scoring during the middle of the game. Very suspenseful, great football. It was also what disappointed me with Ronaldo's performance in the France/Brazil game. France played beautifully, especially Zidane, Ribery, and Henry. But Ronaldo fell down every time he got the ball near the box because he was so desperate for a penalty. It was pathetic. Neither can I bring myself to watch another game involving the Italians because I have yet to see one of their games where they didn't flop every time they got the ball. After this disgraceful World Cup I'll be surprised if I watch another game, especially if it's not involving the US. For some reason they haven't become a team of floppers and I give them respect for that. They didn't play well to start the Cup. They were a bit lazy with the ball, couldn't pass, and got humiliated and ultimately knocked out of the cup because of it. But until the refs get a handle on the acting, I'm not watching any more.

Yes, the most serious issue is the racism in the game. However, that's not what makes the game ugly to watch on TV. It's what makes it ugly in the papers and off the field. They need to hand out serious bans on racist players and coaches. That's a fact. But it's also a fact of life that people are going to be ignorant and racist. Even though I love Japan, living there was the first time I was exposed to racism. However, aside from comments and petty crap that some ignorant people say (The cops told my girlfriend that it was probably the Chinese or Koreans who broke into her apartment) Japan's a really cool place and I really like it. However, that doesn't make it excusable to lash out physically at something they say. A smart man can put someone in their place by using reason. (um... no... I doubt it was some random Chinese person. More likely the repair man who was at her place last week, given that the person DRILLED through her door and knew that she even had things worth taking.) A patient man can wait five minutes, put his PK in the back of the net and dedicate his World Cup victory and his Golden Ball to Matterazzi, the man who gave him the determination to win because of his ugly attitude. Then, if the comments were racist, FIFA could investigate and ban Matterazzi from play and give him a big fine. But, if the comments were really just about his sister and mother, he could laugh them off -- not childishly fly off the handle.

So yes, if Zidane doesn't give the Golden Ball to someone more deserving, like Ribery, FIFA should strip it from him. But the most important thing is fans shouldn't be applauding him for acting like a baby. It was an ugly incident and does not represent a good example of sportsmanship.
Shibakoen

PreviousNext

Return to General off topic