Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - World Cup 2006

World Cup 2006

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

RE: World Cup 2006

Postby Reno » Sun 07.16.2006 1:28 pm

Zidane shouldn't be stripped for the golden ball. He deserves it as a great trophy for a great career in footy.

PS: I didn't really enjoy this WC much.
Good luck with studying everybody and I hope one day I will be able to pick it back up.

Until then, a nice goodbye from me to you ;)
Reno

Postby Mariya » Sun 07.16.2006 2:54 pm

May the best actor win.

Here, here. :D

HE WAS VOTED before kick-off, during AND after the final as the player of the tournament.

I guess they didn't tend to think that something of this gravity could happen in the
final match. Surprise, anything's possible.

somone you know starts insulting your mother and family repeatedly, do you "stay cool" or stand up for them??

Sticks and stones. Him saying stuff wasn't going to change anything about Zidane or his family anytime soon.

if Zidane doesn't give the Golden Ball to someone more deserving, like Ribery, FIFA should strip it from him.

I don't think they would do that. Regardless of what happened, he has still been an important and great player in the past. I guess one mistake can be forgotten..?

PS: I didn't really enjoy this WC much.

I second that. I wish they would re-do it somehow lol...-____-...
Last edited by Mariya on Sun 07.16.2006 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mariya

Postby Shibakoen » Sun 07.16.2006 6:06 pm

if Zidane doesn't give the Golden Ball to someone more deserving, like Ribery, FIFA should strip it from him.

I don't think they would do that. Regardless of what happened, he has still been an important and great player in the past. I guess one mistake can be forgotten..?

Certainly not. He had a great career and a really good World Cup '06. However, he was not the Most Valuable Player in the tournament. It's arguable that his actions cost France the title. A career is one thing, but giving the guy the Golden Ball based on "his great career" vs. "actual tournament performance" is like giving someone (who shall remain nameless) an academy award for a decent roll because they had several other earlier rolls which should have been recognized but weren't. Yes, "legacy awards" are given all the time, but the actor doesn't headbutt the usher on the way up to accept the award, either.

<edit> I do agree, however, that they won't take the award from him because FIFA's a spineless governing body. Acting and bigotry have really tarnished the game but they haven't got the "Golden Balls" to do anything about it.
Last edited by Shibakoen on Sun 07.16.2006 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shibakoen

Postby becks23 » Mon 07.17.2006 5:44 am

Samuel Eto'o goes through so much and I truly feel for him. It's honestly a sickening scene to watch and hear. Although it isn't much I did manage to snag the Nike Stand up Speak up bracelets on my most recent trip back home(I miss you:() and you wouldn't know it's an issue in England. There are racists there, don't get me wrong, but they are such a minority. People are more focused on rivalries than the colour of your skin. Anyone been to a Manchester United v Liverpool or Manchester United v Manchester City or Manchester United v Arsenal(I'm a Red Devil:p) match?? Absolute insanity in the stands. Heck just last season some Liverpudlin threw feces into the Man United section at Anfield. Though clearly not on the same level as rasicm, it's a "I win you suck" mentality.

My point on the whole family matter business is that there is only so much one person can take before finally snapping. EVERY person is this way, tolerance is what serperates us all(but even that has a limit)

Yes, "legacy awards" are given all the time, but the actor doesn't headbutt the usher on the way up to accept the award, either.

I would find it hilarious should someone do that. Why?? Perhaps it's due to the recent events that unfolded, or perhaps just the imagery, but Dave Chapelle's Oprah skit comes to mind.
Last edited by becks23 on Mon 07.17.2006 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Beckham has done it again at Old Trafford!!"
becks23

Previous

Return to General off topic