Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Ignoring users

Ignoring users

Spotted any errors or found anything that doesn't work?

RE: Ignoring users

Postby Reeni » Mon 07.17.2006 11:33 am

i agree with kingz.. however maybe i am one of those people who annoy you so much. i like this page because its a place where there is a community available for everyone to learn together. people are going to make mistakes, people are going to be *unintentionally* rude. some people just dont know. i think the best way would be just to say something to them. i'm sure the administrators have a handle on things here. if a change is not made after 3 warnings, perhaps their membership should be revoked?
i'm a beginner! so bear with me please!!

ありがとうございます!!
Reeni

Postby Budomaru » Mon 07.17.2006 12:38 pm

i dont think unintentionally rude goes like this:

"hi i'm new to japanese, i need a teacher fast because i want to learn. i could use one, like right now! PLSSSSS kthxbai"

or

"what does X mean?" a minute later "noone answers me..." another minute later "..."

and cases like this. this kind of person rarely, if ever, contributes or benefits from other people's posts (they tend to disappear fast). although its true ignoring doesnt align with the philosophy the mods and admin have on the topic, i'd love to be able to just click a button and ignore someone for a week or two - then i might reconsider. if they're still around, they might actually be serious and willing to try.
Last edited by Budomaru on Mon 07.17.2006 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You know you've been hanging around a forum too long when people start quoting you and agreeing :P
Budomaru

Postby caroline » Mon 07.17.2006 1:22 pm

I was wandering if to have the posts that initiated this thread was really annoying or not, for quite a long time. I found that they were an hymn to the admin/mods who treated them with gentleness and a lot of patience, and that - though not english and thus quite prone to mistakes in english, I could quite skip reading them, or at least not spend too much time on them.
Nevertheless, one of the charms of this site is the variety of "levels" of the posts, and sometimes the answer to something I might really have wanted to ignore.
So, I would be quite unsure about ignoring someone in a definitive way...
caroline

Native language: Français

RE: hey

Postby kingthe30051101 » Mon 07.17.2006 2:17 pm

does anyone know why i try to do the chat thing it says username cannot be used i tried 1000 different ones
kingthe30051101

Postby shinzou » Mon 07.17.2006 2:22 pm

shizuki uchiha wrote:
does anyone know why i try to do the chat thing it says username cannot be used i tried 1000 different ones

As a new member you can't sign on. You need to be involved with this website for a bit before you can use chat.

Also, you may want to try asking such questions on appropriate threads/pages.
That was TOTALLY off topic.

-Jon
shinzou

Postby Sumi » Mon 07.17.2006 2:24 pm

We are all going to make mistakes when is comes to typing/writing our mother language. I don't think that we should kick someone off TJP just because they don't have good grammar skills. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if that's they way they were taught to speak(keep in mind, our education is a filthy toilet).
Just ignore it & go about your business. There is no need to just kick someone off.
ねえ、あのう、弟さん、ここに遊んじゃだめだよ。あそこは酸があるんだよ。
Sumi

Postby Mariya » Mon 07.17.2006 2:41 pm

If these users are really annoying to you, then I guess you could let the mods know and they'll keep an eye open. But either way, unless they do something over the top, they'll be around.
Mariya

Postby Schattenjedi » Mon 07.17.2006 3:11 pm

@Sumi and Mariya: Please read the OP. Who said anything about kicking people off? The discussion is about whether users should have the option of ignoring other users who add nothing to discussions/ are annoying/ can't be bothered to write a legible post. A user deciding to ignore one other user would only have an effect on which posts are visible to the ignorer. The point is to make the forum easier on the eyes, if you will.
Schattenjedi

Postby Budomaru » Mon 07.17.2006 11:11 pm

+2 Schattenjedi

how many times do i have to say its not about grammar/syntax/spelling? its about behaviour. there's a whole bunch of people that just pass from this site, post 2-7 times and all their posts are just rubbish. after that they just disappear after making a mess. i'd rather be able to click an ignore button than have to get aggravated reading their posts which tend to have the form i described in my previous post.

it feels like being poked with a stick while trying desperately not to react :|
You know you've been hanging around a forum too long when people start quoting you and agreeing :P
Budomaru

Postby oKawa » Mon 07.17.2006 11:36 pm

:(:(

I think everyone has a different degree of what is annoying. I'm new here, and I understand that this site is a bi lingual site. Of course, not everyone is from an English speaking country. I frequent several other sites, and I found many situations were people are not using correct "English" grammar, but I'm still able to understand what they are trying to say. I accept it because I know that they may not understand or be an English major.

I don't claim to be an English major myself, but things like PLEASSSSS are some times used by people for emphasis in a non verbal environment, and I even understand that. I agree, I don't think this is the right road to travel, being in a community of bi lingual's were most people are trying to learn. I'm sure that there are also a wide range of age differences were communication is apparent and acceptable within those groups.

I think it would be good to just ignore the ones who are unwittingly annoying you.B)
oKawa

Postby Budomaru » Tue 07.18.2006 12:04 pm

i think i'm not getting across at all. -_- but i think i made my point clear to those for whom it matters anyway, so i'll give up now *_^
Budomaru

Postby hyperconjugated » Tue 07.18.2006 1:05 pm

Budomaru wrote:
its about behaviour. there's a whole bunch of people that just pass from this site, post 2-7 times and all their posts are just rubbish. after that they just disappear after making a mess. i'd rather be able to click an ignore button than have to get aggravated reading their posts which tend to have the form i described in my previous post.

it feels like being poked with a stick while trying desperately not to react :|

I think you'd just be collecting
a list of users that "just disappear
after making a mess".
In practise you would still
have to read their initial posts
and wonder, "hmmm, this sounds
like one of those posters, well
i'll give still him/her the benefit
of the doubt." Then when you
come back and read their next
post you are like "he/she _is_ one
these posters, damn I'm annoyed,
*clicks BAN*" Then they leave and
never post and the next day a five
new users post the same stuff putting you
through the same process and
creating a list of inactive irrating
people. Of course it would work
agains chronicly annoying people
like me ;) Maybe some sort of filters
could do the trick. Not showing any
posts containing magic words like
"manga" "PLZ" "how do you say?"
"romanji" "minnasan" etc. etc.
Irgendwann fällt jede Mauer
hyperconjugated

Native language: Finnish

Postby redfoxer » Tue 07.18.2006 1:20 pm

As handy as having an "ignore" somebody option would be, I think it could just leave to further complications. Duplicate replies as someone stated, because someone who is being ignored will post a reply which could answer something and then repeated by someone else who chose to ignore the first user etc, and since people are ignoring one another, i think alot of problems could arise. Just a sort of surface of problems if you will. Kind of like ignoring the problem won't solve it, sort of idea.

Im not for or against this idea/theory. just putting in my thoughts. I think sticking to the conventional, if they keep posting crap just ignore any of their post manually, sort of idea to be more effective with less complications.
Last edited by redfoxer on Tue 07.18.2006 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
日本語はとても面白いと思いますよ!私は日本語が大好きです!
redfoxer

Postby Budomaru » Tue 07.18.2006 2:22 pm

i kinda agree with you both - i'm glad i had the chance to express my feelings on the matter B) though nothing may change, at least we know why :P
Budomaru

Postby ComradeJoe » Tue 07.18.2006 2:35 pm

I know my opinion means close to nothing because i'm "the new guy", but I think you shouldn't be complaining about a few random guys who ask silly questions or express their beliefs that, in Japan, ninjas direct traffic or such, all the while packing hundreds of spelling mistakes in their 4 word posts. The simple fact that in my short stay here I haven't seen the kind of mess one would see on *gasp* gaming forums or, God forbid, manga/anime forums, stands as proof that this place is, I daresay, clean.
So an ignore button is going a little far in this case. You don't like me? Scroll past my reply when you see my name. B)
Last edited by ComradeJoe on Tue 07.18.2006 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ComradeJoe

PreviousNext

Return to Problems