Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Disney Vs Truth

Disney Vs Truth

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

Disney Vs Truth

Postby mosiesk » Wed 07.19.2006 2:11 pm

http://www.kimbawlion.com/rant2.html

It's an article saying how Disney ripped of a Japanese TV series called 'Kimba the white lion'. See the similarities to 'The Lion King'?

Most of you probably have heard about this but I have only just read and was quite annoyed about it considering I was quite a big Disney fan prior to anime. And because the Lion King has won awards for being the most original animation.

Disney sure kept this quiet.:@

Please let me know if anyone knows any more or if you know exactly what happened?
Last edited by mosiesk on Wed 07.19.2006 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Tell me, when the snow melts what does it become?"
mosiesk

RE: Disney Vs Truth

Postby Nibble » Wed 07.19.2006 2:22 pm

"You must avenge my death, Kimba... I mean, Simba."

This debate has been around for a long time. Relevant Wikipedia articles are here and here.
Nibble

Postby hyperconjugated » Wed 07.19.2006 2:34 pm

Hibbert:
Well, only one in two million people has what we call the "evil
gene"
. [holds up a card showing DNA] Hitler had it, Walt
Disney had it
, and Freddy Quimby has it. [chuckles]
Last edited by hyperconjugated on Wed 07.19.2006 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Irgendwann fällt jede Mauer
hyperconjugated

Native language: Finnish

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 07.19.2006 2:49 pm

what you don't think people that draw cartoons don't get ideas from other places? let's take a good look at anime, lots of idea sharing there (you steal from one animator, you have stolen from 100) it's like radio.. only one person can come up with an idea first.. but everyone wants to be the one person.. lol..

basically who cares.. ?
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby mamba » Wed 07.19.2006 5:01 pm

Wow, I remember watching Kimba the White Lion a whiiiilleee ago in Saudi Arabia. I barely remember it, just reading that title probably sparked some memory, but wow, that is super old.
mamba

Postby KaitosKun » Wed 07.19.2006 5:36 pm

Lol、IAlways thought Kimba was disney LOLOLOL....Well then x.x; IVery dislike Disney now :P
KaitosKun

Postby Budomaru » Wed 07.19.2006 11:21 pm

its true ideas always get shared in art - there is no artist that hasnt been affected by others and noone that hasnt actually used something in a way you could say they "stole" it. however, as this is natural in art (and necessary) you cant blame people for doing it.

that said, if you havent already, you will notice that western cinema (amongst other forms of art, but cinema is where you see it the most i think) has very often borrowed features or even copied asian cinema. examples of this are the american transfer of 七人の侍 (cant remember the title) and various others. this is excusable in some cases, where there is a meaningful piece of art created, while not in others where plain copy-paste is done. i havent really looked deeply into this, but i have noticed it many times though no examples come to mind now :P
You know you've been hanging around a forum too long when people start quoting you and agreeing :P
Budomaru

Postby chikara » Wed 07.19.2006 11:30 pm

Budomaru wrote:......examples of this are the american transfer of 七人の侍 (cant remember the title) and various others......
The Seven Samurai was remade by Hollywood as The Magnificent Seven
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby mosiesk » Thu 07.20.2006 4:52 am

No, I do know that people use other people's ideas but when you look at the artwork then the screen shots are too alike. And then for the Lion King to be awarded most original is just not right.
"Tell me, when the snow melts what does it become?"
mosiesk

Postby Reno » Thu 07.20.2006 12:01 pm

Budomaru, When I read through this thread I was forming an awnser in my head. I dont have to post that anymore though because you basically wrote it all down :).

The fact is being original is also very very hard because you also get influenced without even realizing you are.
Good luck with studying everybody and I hope one day I will be able to pick it back up.

Until then, a nice goodbye from me to you ;)
Reno

Postby Ongakuka » Thu 07.20.2006 12:14 pm

As far as the name is concerned, I'm sure it is a coincidence. Simba is an authentic African name is it not?
なぜなら、おまえは・・・・・・人形だ
Ongakuka

Postby Infidel » Fri 07.21.2006 12:05 am

like most disney character names. Simba just means lion in one of the many African languages.

It reminds me of that scene from draco. "So you don't want to just call me dragon, so you name me after a foreign word that means dragon?" Or something like that.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby Budomaru » Fri 07.21.2006 10:47 am

Infidel wrote:
It reminds me of that scene from draco. "So you don't want to just call me dragon, so you name me after a foreign word that means dragon?" Or something like that.

that was from Dragonheart right? i dont remember the exact words but i think you got the point ;)
You know you've been hanging around a forum too long when people start quoting you and agreeing :P
Budomaru

Return to General off topic