Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Anime on TV in Japan

Anime on TV in Japan

Anything relating to Anime or Manga - what's new, what you like, etc...

Anime on TV in Japan

Postby Datadog » Fri 05.06.2005 3:06 pm

Who exactly is the target audience for anime over in Japan? I just finished watching an episode of "Chobits," and it occurred to me that if you took out all the sparse dirty perverted jokes and boob fondling, you'd have a show suitable for a pre-schooler. And then it occured to me that many other series are also like that - childish plotlines and overdosing on sex, drugs, violence, etc.

How often can you find anime on TV over in Japan? Based on all the stuff we get over here, it seems like it must on every channel 24/7. I can expect shows like "Pokemon" and "Hamtoro" to be Saturday morning material, and "Cowboy Bebop" and "Neon Genesis Evangelion" would fall into prime-time or late night time slots, but where do the rest that don't even seem to know if they're for children or adults fall and what kinds of people watch them?

Just curious.
Datadog

RE: Anime on TV in Japan

Postby Datadog » Fri 05.06.2005 5:41 pm

I could also sum all that up into one question:

How do the Japanese perceive anime differently than we do?
Datadog

Postby Daisuke » Fri 05.06.2005 6:10 pm

Datadog wrote:
I just finished watching an episode of "Chobits," and it occurred to me that if you took out all the sparse dirty perverted jokes and boob fondling, you'd have a show suitable for a pre-schooler.

Chobits has a very good story, if you tried look 'behind' the pictures. It's typical that some people just watch the anime just because it's anime, instead of finding out what the anime is exactly about, and if the writer (writers in this case) of the original manga tried to tell something with it.

I guess many Japanese people find the perverted stuff fun, because Chobits is a very popular manga and anime in Japan. And i don't guess they would buy/watch it if they didn't find it entertaining.
Daisuke
Site Admin

Postby Datadog » Sat 05.07.2005 2:22 pm

I know that in the long run, it has a very good story, but I'm talking about how certain episodes play out. For instance, this one I watched has the characters all going to the beach, and most of the episode up until the end revolves around them having fun and teaching Chii things. If it weren't for Hideki staring at all the boobs, it would have been right on par with a typical episode of Hamtoro.

I know I should talk considering that I'M one of those people who watches it, but I'm talking about people on a much larger scale. For instance, you can rarely get an anime film to do well in an American box office, but over there, it would make millions.
Datadog

Return to Anime and Manga Discussions