Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Kenpo Karate

Kenpo Karate

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

Kenpo Karate

Postby Christian_ » Thu 07.20.2006 2:40 pm

Has anyone taken/know anything/ about Kenpo/Kenpo Karate? I've been taking it for about a month now and it's great. Does anyone here take Karate, or know how Kenpo and Karate are related at all? I've read everything on wikipedia.
Goals:
1) Have decent proficiency in Japanese, enough to get around/talk/read/write.
2) Visit Japan for a week or so one summer.
Christian_

RE: Kenpo Karate

Postby Hiroyuki kun » Thu 07.20.2006 3:45 pm

I do Goju Ryu karate. It's from Okinawa which is the largest of the Ryukyu islands, south of the Japanese mainland.

Goju Ryu, like Kenpo, also has Chinese routes. I can't go into a lot of detail here but the paths of Kenpo and Goju Ryu do cross somewhere in history. You can read about all this stuff from various sources on the internet. Just do some searches. You can get a lot of information but everything is not reliable so good luck.

Ganbatte!
Hiroyuki kun

Postby Christian_ » Thu 07.20.2006 4:06 pm

Ok thanks, its nice to know other people take martial arts. I read that Kenpo is a lot like southern shaolin kung fu, but uses karate for basics.
Goals:
Christian_

Postby Sakana » Thu 07.20.2006 4:25 pm

Well, you might say that...

I took Goju for a few years awhile back. Since then, I have shifted over to the chinese martial arts, and one of those is a style of southern shaolin, Hung Gar. Comparing the two, they are slightly similar, but not much. Goju seems to use the basic punching and kicking basics of it, but not much beyond that. But, that alone is still pretty darn good. It seems like the chinese martial arts are way more confusing, if anyone here has done/does xing yi quan, baguazhang, or taijiquan, you probably know what I mean.

As far as Kempo goes, most of what i have seen of it looks like karate to me, but with sort of a different flavor.Can't say much though, I have never done kempo before.
Last edited by Sakana on Thu 07.20.2006 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Man is trying to tell these pirates to not came back. If the pirates come back, the man will punch them. But the pirate came back, so the man continueously punch them.

-Iwark
Sakana

Postby Christian_ » Thu 07.20.2006 4:28 pm

I read the reason Kenpo Karate uses Karate for basics is because you can be black belted in 3-5 years, but kung fu can take 10-20 years.:o
Goals:
Christian_

Return to General off topic