Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Eating in Japan...

Eating in Japan...

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

RE: Eating in Japan...

Postby I-samu » Sat 02.25.2006 5:55 pm

theshadowtaker wrote:
Image 中Mcdonalds日本、you see the sacuce on this? what is it? Its looks really nasty. Is it like the Japanese version of mayo? And if you know what it is, is it rude, to order it like. "I would like a #1 with only ketchup pelase?" or "I would like a #1 w/o (insert the name of that sauce here). anyway what is it? and what does it taste like? and one more thing? is 560¥ roughly equal to $4.99? and is that expensive for Japan? Plus a side not in the little circle price thingy why is the en symbol on the left? I thought it went on the right, Maybe Japan is becoming even more americanized..

The Japanese McDonalds tastes just like the American McDonalds. Except the meat tastes better in Japan. 560¥isn't really expensive, and roughly equals 4.99-5.30.
[][][][]
I-samu

Postby Shibakoen » Sat 02.25.2006 11:36 pm

The Japanese Big Mac really isn't bad. Just about everything (Kit Kat, Fanta, Pepsi, Coke) is changed a little bit for local tastes. Anyway, I gained MANY pounds eating those damn Big Macs when I would go out to get a bite at my lunch break. Haven't been to a Makkers since I got back to the US. What tripped me out was they had these really good fish nuggets instead of chicken nuggets when that whole Avian Flu thing broke. I guess KFC is probably crushing them in the chicken department. Anyway, if I had it to do over again, I would avoid Makkers at all cost! It's not good enough to justify the calories. Some nice yaki-tori or anything would be better...
Last edited by Shibakoen on Sat 02.25.2006 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shibakoen

Postby Infidel » Sun 02.26.2006 12:15 am

err, it just looks like thousand island sauce. That is a big mac after all, big macs use thousand island not mayonase. I eat them all the time, well before my diet. It makes me hungry looking at that picture.
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby Gan » Sun 02.26.2006 2:10 pm

I knew it was a big mac, i just didnt know what the weird looking sauce was, whats it taste like? is it fish sauce? and if i go to japan will i have to eat fish? I hate fish.
Gan

Native language: English

Postby I-samu » Sun 02.26.2006 8:52 pm

theshadowtaker wrote:
I knew it was a big mac, i just didnt know what the weird looking sauce was, whats it taste like? is it fish sauce? and if i go to japan will i have to eat fish? I hate fish.

Unles they changed their formula from last year, it tastes the same as American big macs.
[][][][]
I-samu

Postby Infidel » Mon 02.27.2006 12:40 am

Dude. It's thousand island. It's a salad dressing that is used not only as the "special sauce" in Big Macs but for the Reuben as well. Ahh. Corned Beaf, Sauerkraut and thousand Island on Rye. Yummy.
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby Takeo Saeki » Mon 02.27.2006 1:30 am

I will not read past this first page. The food that you all described sounds extremely delicious and is making me all the more frustrated that I can't go to Japan, not to mention hungry for fish. I can't wait to go to Japan. I will go there soon after I leave home less than two years from now.
Takeo Saeki

Postby punkgrl326 » Sat 03.11.2006 11:29 pm

I like mixing ketchup up with a little mayo as dipping sauce for my fries. Call me weird, but the stuff tastes great. ;)
punkgrl326

Postby Gan » Thu 07.20.2006 3:28 pm

Okay i have come back with another question. what is Qoo? All i know is that it is made by the Coca-Cola Company. (Ko-ka-Kora) and that it's japanese name is Ku---. (sorry no IME, I'm in the library). Is this a soda, a snack, a fruit drink? Why does it cost $13.00?!!! Is it good? is it nasty? Is it eatable? Where can I get it? Sorry if these are stupid question, but I went to the Qoo homepage and it seems like it has a good popularity and all. I just want to know what it is.
Gan

Postby AJBryant » Thu 07.20.2006 6:15 pm

Dude...

New subject, new thread. M'kay?

People who might be able to answer the question will SEE it that way.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby two_heads_talking » Fri 07.21.2006 10:15 am

punkgrl326 wrote:
I like mixing ketchup up with a little mayo as dipping sauce for my fries. Call me weird, but the stuff tastes great. ;)

that's actually done quite frequently in the west.. in utah, idaho, wyoming, there is a company that markets it and calls it fry sauce. ketchup, mayo and some worchestashire sauce.. i like it as well. it goes great on burgers too.
two_heads_talking

Postby Oyaji » Fri 07.21.2006 11:47 am

theshadowtaker wrote:you see the sacuce on this? what is it?

Don't you young people know the "Big Mac Song"?

"Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun."

And yes, "special sauce" is thousand island dressing, and is the same in Japan and America.
Oyaji

Postby Gan » Fri 07.21.2006 1:01 pm

AJBryant wrote:
Dude...

New subject, new thread. M'kay?

People who might be able to answer the question will SEE it that way.

Tony

DUDE.. This is the eating in JAPAN thread. Breverages fall into this catagory.
If I go to japan and someone offers me Qoo I want to know what I am drinking.
Besides IF I started a new thread, there would be flames telling me to post in the appropriate thread. This question has nothing to do with any other subject then what is specified. I have found the answer to my question elseware, but still. Qoo is not offered or sold in America but Japan and China. You telling me to make a new thread just for one beverage seems like a completly insane thing for me to do.
Where I come from beverages are listed in the food section, its totally appropriate to ask this question here. Saying that it's not is like saying food marts don't sell soda, water, juice, tea, fruit drinks, coffee, kool-aid, sports drink, energy drinks.. etc... What are they all? Beverages, and in a food mart no less.

Here is some information for all interested parties.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qoo
http://www.cocacola.co.jp/webshop/qoo_pages

EDIT: Had to fix url links Image
Last edited by Gan on Fri 07.21.2006 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gan

Postby Ezrach » Fri 07.21.2006 2:00 pm

theshadowtaker wrote:
Image 中Mcdonalds日本、you see the sacuce on this? what is it? Its looks really nasty. Is it like the Japanese version of mayo? And if you know what it is, is it rude, to order it like. "I would like a #1 with only ketchup pelase?" or "I would like a #1 w/o (insert the name of that sauce here). anyway what is it? and what does it taste like? and one more thing? is 560¥ roughly equal to $4.99? and is that expensive for Japan? Plus a side not in the little circle price thingy why is the en symbol on the left? I thought it went on the right, Maybe Japan is becoming even more americanized..

It's a big mac. The sauce is Thousand Island dressing (AKA "Big Mac sauce", AKA Ketchup, Mayo, and Relish mixed together). It's the same in every country hosting a McDonald's. Here's a link to some general information on it.

Moving on. If you decide to eat fast food in Japan, avoid the American chains. Try MOS Burger.

theshadowtaker wrote:

As far as I know, there is no government branch task force of agents that force feeds visitors fish - you don't HAVE to eat fish. They do have other food in Japan.
Last edited by Ezrach on Fri 07.21.2006 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ezrach

Postby two_heads_talking » Fri 07.21.2006 3:12 pm

keatonatron wrote:
snippity snip

I've had snails, and the normal sushi and sushimi style stuff (octopus, various fish, eel). I'd say the rarest non-seafood thing I've eaten raw was horse. It was delicous! My favorite type of sushimi :p

snippity snip

sushimi? i have heard of sashimi but not sushimi. is that a typo or is there a dish i never go the opportunity to try?:p
two_heads_talking

PreviousNext

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan