Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - reading japanese? (not reading club)

reading japanese? (not reading club)

Discussions on Japan's history or Japanese books!

reading japanese? (not reading club)

Postby shiratori » Mon 07.17.2006 11:38 am

I've just found this site and I've seen the reading club forum but I wondered if anyone was reading any different (maybe more difficult) novels in Japanese. I've read a lot of Haruki Murakami novels now and full-length Murakami seems to be about my level. Does anyone have any recommendations for someone other than Murakami? I liked 火車 (All She Was Worth - not sure if I got the kanji right) by Miyuki Miyabe and Level 7 was quite good too. Other than that I find my choices tend to be out of my genre (like people like Ekuni Kaori) kind of difficult or just plain bad.

http://www.f.waseda.jp/mjewel/jlit/literary_history/concise_modern_timeline.html
gives some pretty good suggestions though they often fall into the 'kind of difficult' category. Also I have problems with availability as I'm in Korea now.

Anyhow any suggestions or anyone interested in talking about reading full length Japanese novels please reply.

I'm currently reading カンガルー日和 by 村上 of course.
shiratori

RE: reading japanese? (not reading club)

Postby Shibakoen » Mon 07.17.2006 3:15 pm

Actually, try some Edogawa Rampo. He stole his name from Edgar Allen Poe because that's the style writer he is, if you're into the whole horror thing. He has novels and short stories and essays and everything. He actually wrote quite a bit.
Shibakoen

Postby shiratori » Wed 07.19.2006 9:41 am

I checked him out a little bit on the net and he looks interesting. I'll have to give him a try. Still interested in any other suggestions.
shiratori

Postby coco » Sat 07.22.2006 1:42 am

このスレッドのInsanityRanchさんの書き込み(08-02-2006) に、お勧めの本のリストがまとめられています。ご参考までに。
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Postby Namakielin » Sat 07.22.2006 5:22 am

i read japanese shonen jampu
Namakielin

Postby kawada2998 » Sat 07.22.2006 6:33 am

I read Naruto Mangas - Translated of course :p
But i pick up some words in the background..
Image "I know lucidity." (-_-)
kawada2998

Postby shiratori » Mon 07.24.2006 12:49 pm

ありがとうcocoさん. Actually I did see the list before but I must have forgotten it. Some of the books sound good but I'm not so keen on reading fiction on the computer.

I've got a 'Yonda' pamphlet with some suggestions (the yellow one with a panda). I wonder if there's anything else like this, especially on the web. If you (coco) or anyone knows a good Japanese site about books please let me know.

A bit off-topic but I was surprised I could never find a top 100 Japanese albums anywhere when I was in Japan. Some people hate these kinds of lists but I find them a really good way into an area you don't know much about. A good quality top 100 Japanese books or CDs would be really interesting.
shiratori

Postby coco » Thu 07.27.2006 3:50 am

shiratori wrote:
I've got a 'Yonda' pamphlet with some suggestions (the yellow one with a panda). I wonder if there's anything else like this, especially on the web. If you (coco) or anyone knows a good Japanese site about books please let me know.

もしかすると、もうご存知かもしれませんが、yondaはここでも見られます。
http://book.shinchosha.co.jp/bunko/fr_yondaclub.html
(新潮文庫)

書評が少ないかもしれませんが、これも参考になるかもしれません。
http://www.kinokuniya.co.jp/01f/kinobes ... s05top.htm
(紀伊国屋書店、今年のベスト30)
http://www.honn.co.jp/index.html
(ブックレビューガイド)

文庫×新刊×書評サイト×(好みのジャンル)あたりで検索をかければ、
きっとたくさんのサイトがみつかると思いますよ。:)
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)