Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - I need the following translated

I need the following translated

Do you have a translation question?

I need the following translated

Postby Elumi » Mon 05.09.2005 9:02 am

Hey guys, could you help me in translating the following? Thanks in advance!:)

1. Saru mo ki kara ochita.
2. Gojira wa okii bakemono desu.
3.. Nihongo wa chotto muzukashii desu ne?
4. Mina o koroshita hito wa itachi desu.
5. Kino tabeta sushi o sugoi oishikatta desu.

The following has to be translated to Japanese... this one is harder for me:
6. The movie I went to yesterday was fun
7. The movie I went to yesterday with my friend, Sasuke, and his older brother itachi was really fun, but itachi was a little scary.

Domo Arigatou gozaimasu!!!!
-=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=-
Saru mo ki kara ochiru
(Even Monkeys fall from trees)
Elumi

RE: I need the following translated

Postby clay » Mon 05.09.2005 9:05 am

Hi,

To help you, why don't you post your ideas and everyone can help with corrections or advice.

For example:
monkey-even-tree-from-fell
Even a monkey fell from a tree.

Give it a shot. having others do all the work for you won't help you really :)
clay
Site Admin

Postby Elumi » Mon 05.09.2005 3:39 pm

clay wrote:
Hi,

To help you, why don't you post your ideas and everyone can help with corrections or advice.

For example:
monkey-even-tree-from-fell
Even a monkey fell from a tree.

Give it a shot. having others do all the work for you won't help you really :)

Clay, you're a meanie!!! :( (I don't mean that, just teasing). But I know what you mean. I did try to translate several already... check these out:
Translate into the opposite language...
1. Saru mo ki kara ochita. Even monkeys fall from trees. (that's my signature anyway).
2. Gojira wa okii bakemono desu. Godzilla-(subject ind.)-okii?-stupid-is.
3.. Nihongo wa chotto muzukashii desu ne? Japanese language-(subject ind.)-very-difficult-is-ne?
4. Mina o koroshita hito wa itachi desu. Everybody-by -killed-person-(subject ind.)-Itachi-is.
5. Kino tabeta sushi o sugoi oishikatta desu. - Yesterday-ate-sushi-of-great-goodness-is
6. The movie I went to yesterday was fun Watashi wa 殆ent?-kinyo eiga ga omoshiromite
7. The movie I went to yesterday with my friend, Sasuke, and his older brother itachi was really fun, but itachi was a little scary.
[i]哲O idea on this one!!! Waaah I felt so behind already But if you help me with no. 6 I値l do my best in doing no. 7 all by myself Please!!!納/i] :(;)
-=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=-
Saru mo ki kara ochiru
Elumi

Postby redfoxer » Mon 05.09.2005 3:55 pm

Elumi wrote:
2. Gojira wa okii bakemono desu.
3.. Nihongo wa chotto muzukashii desu ne?
4. Mina o koroshita hito wa itachi desu.
5. Kino tabeta sushi o sugoi oishikatta desu.

Ill help you with 3 and 5 :P as 5 you've practically done it yourself.

3. Japanese is a little difficult isnt it?
nihongo (japanese). Chotto (little). muzukashii (difficult/hard). desu ne (dont you agree? isnt it?)
5. Youve already done this so i dont know if you need help but its says...
Yesterday i ate sushi and it was amazingly good.

To tell the truth you got most of the translating done, all you need to do is put it together, dakara ganbarre ne!
日本語はとても面白いと思いますよ!私は日本語が大好きです!
redfoxer

Postby InsanityRanch » Mon 05.09.2005 5:13 pm

OK, here's my best shot:

>1. Saru mo ki kara ochita. ・Even monkeys fall from trees.

ALMOST. But the verb is in past tense. So, "Even the monkey(s) fell from the tree(s)." Ought to be correct.

>2. Gojira wa okii bakemono desu. ・
>Godzilla-(subject ind.)-okii?-stupid-is.

"bakemono" means monster. And "ookii" means big. So "Godzilla is a big monster."

>4. Mina o koroshita hito wa itachi desu.
>Everybody-by -killed-person-(subject ind.)-Itachi-is.

OK, this is one of those backwards Japanese sentences (from our pov) that takes a bit of getting used to. The first five words are a subordinate clause: "The person who killed everybody is Itachi." We sometimes say it that way in English, but more likely we'd say "Itachi is the one who killed everybody." You CAN turn that sentence around in Japanese to mirror the English order, but this order (with the subject near the end) is VERY common in Japanese compared to English. Sometime I will quote you my favorite example of this sort of delayed subject sentence but... not now <g>.

>5. Kino tabeta sushi o sugoi oishikatta desu. - >Yesterday-ate-sushi-of-great-goodness-is

OK, I think there's a couple of errors here. The "o" (most likely s/b wo) is not right. Again, I am supposing the first three words form a subordinate clause and the meaning is "The sushi I ate yesterday was really delicious." But the particle after sushi ought to be ha. I think. And the sugoi ought to be sugoku. So I think the sentence ought to be:

"kinou tabeta sushi ha sugoku oishikatta desu."

Now you should be able to do sentence 6 based on the pattern of sentence 5, correct? Wanna give it a try, and then we can work on the trickier #7?

Shira
"Give me a fruitful error any time, full of seeds, bursting with its own corrections. You can keep your sterile truth for yourself." -- Vilfredo Pareto
InsanityRanch

Postby Elumi » Tue 05.10.2005 12:58 pm

Ill help you with 3 and 5 :P as 5 you've practically done it yourself.

3. Japanese is a little difficult isnt it?
nihongo (japanese). Chotto (little). muzukashii (difficult/hard). desu ne (dont you agree? isnt it?)
5. Youve already done this so i dont know if you need help but its says...
Yesterday i ate sushi and it was amazingly good.

To tell the truth you got most of the translating done, all you need to do is put it together, dakara ganbarre ne!

Domo Arigatou! *bow* *bow* You're so kind!!!
-=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=-
Saru mo ki kara ochiru
Elumi

Postby Elumi » Tue 05.10.2005 1:42 pm

InsanityRanch wrote:
OK, here's my best shot:

>1. Saru mo ki kara ochita. ・Even monkeys fall from trees.

ALMOST. But the verb is in past tense. So, "Even the monkey(s) fell from the tree(s)." Ought to be correct.

>2. Gojira wa okii bakemono desu. ・
>Godzilla-(subject ind.)-okii?-stupid-is.

"bakemono" means monster. And "ookii" means big. So "Godzilla is a big monster."

>4. Mina o koroshita hito wa itachi desu.
>Everybody-by -killed-person-(subject ind.)-Itachi-is.

OK, this is one of those backwards Japanese sentences (from our pov) that takes a bit of getting used to. The first five words are a subordinate clause: "The person who killed everybody is Itachi." We sometimes say it that way in English, but more likely we'd say "Itachi is the one who killed everybody." You CAN turn that sentence around in Japanese to mirror the English order, but this order (with the subject near the end) is VERY common in Japanese compared to English. Sometime I will quote you my favorite example of this sort of delayed subject sentence but... not now <g>.

>5. Kino tabeta sushi o sugoi oishikatta desu. - >Yesterday-ate-sushi-of-great-goodness-is

OK, I think there's a couple of errors here. The "o" (most likely s/b wo) is not right. Again, I am supposing the first three words form a subordinate clause and the meaning is "The sushi I ate yesterday was really delicious." But the particle after sushi ought to be ha. I think. And the sugoi ought to be sugoku. So I think the sentence ought to be:

"kinou tabeta sushi ha sugoku oishikatta desu."

Now you should be able to do sentence 6 based on the pattern of sentence 5, correct? Wanna give it a try, and then we can work on the trickier #7?

Shira

Domo Arigatou! Let's try no. 6:
6. The movie I went to yesterday was fun
Ans: Kinou (how do you say went?) eiga ha omoshiromite desu. Did I get that right?
Ans: Kinou (went?) eiga wa tomodachi no Sasuke (or is it Sasuke no tomodachi?) to ------waaaahhhh!!! I can't do it!!! Itachi wa okii kowaii desu!
-=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=-
Saru mo ki kara ochiru
Elumi

Postby Daisuke » Tue 05.10.2005 1:43 pm

Don't double post.
Daisuke
Site Admin

Postby InsanityRanch » Tue 05.10.2005 2:17 pm

>6. The movie I went to yesterday was fun
>Ans: Kinou (how do you say went?) eiga ha omoshiromite desu. Did I get >that right?

Hmmm. I guess Kinou mita eiga or kinou mi ni itta eiga ha.....

But why are you writing omoshiroMITE? This last bit makes no sense.

The example sentence 5 was

kinou tabeta sushi ha sugoku oishikatta desu.

What form of "oishii" is "oishikatta"? And how do you make the same form of "omoshiroi"?

Shira
"Give me a fruitful error any time, full of seeds, bursting with its own corrections. You can keep your sterile truth for yourself." -- Vilfredo Pareto
InsanityRanch

RE: just tryin to help

Postby Ogawa » Wed 05.11.2005 3:16 pm

went or "to go" is (IKU).

hope this helps:D
fear not death, it ends only your life. nothing else.
Ogawa

RE: trying to help

Postby Ogawa » Wed 05.11.2005 3:18 pm

that would be omoshirokatta.
fear not death, it ends only your life. nothing else.
Ogawa

Postby redfoxer » Wed 05.11.2005 6:47 pm

iku is to go (short version) ikimasu is the masu form for to go
Last edited by redfoxer on Wed 05.11.2005 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
日本語はとても面白いと思いますよ!私は日本語が大好きです!
redfoxer

Postby Elumi » Wed 05.11.2005 8:49 pm

Gomenasai...
I'm so sorry for demanding what I asked needed translation... that was really bad of me. Also, sorry for posting twice because I wasn't sure how to take a quote and then add another quote... sorry D.

Well, let me see. I am trying to formulate it. Somehow I got the words right but when I start arranging it into a sentence I'm not sure where the words go. Is there a set of formula like in english for longer sentences? I understand the Subj-verb thing but those are simple sentence... *sigh*
-=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=-
Saru mo ki kara ochiru
Elumi

Postby InsanityRanch » Fri 05.13.2005 1:37 pm

Hi, Elumi!

I understand your frustration. I distinctly remember hitting that particular problem: I could do basic sentences but not string bits together into complex sentences.

Forgive me if you know some of this, but I'd like to start by pulling apart your example sentence:

>kinou tabeta sushi ha sugoku oishikatta desu

The basic sentence would be: sushi ha oishikatta desu
The sushi was delicious. (sugoku just means "extremely", so we'll ignore it from here on out!)

It's not clear to me if you understand that word oishikatta, so if you do, just bear with me here! oishii means "is delicious". It can stand alone at the end of a sentence, no verb required. In this case, the desu is just added to raise the politeness level.

Because i-adjectives are for many purposes verbs, they conjugate as verbs. oishii = is delicious oishikunai = is not delicious. oishikatta = was delicious. oishikunakatta = was not delicious. The root is oishi and -i, -kunai, -katta or -nakatta are added to change the meaning. You can add "desu" after any of these forms to make the sentence polite.

OK so far? So the end of the sentence you are trying to form must look like this:

eiga ha omoshirokatta desu.

the movie was interesting.

or eiga ha tanoshikatta desu
The movie was fun.

Now looking at the beginning of the sentence. This is the subordinate clause that tells WHICH ONE. (WHICH sushi? WHICH movie?)

kinou tabeta sushi == the sushi (I or someone) ate yesterday.

Take this apart again:

kinou, sushi wo tabeta

Yesterday, I (or someone) ate sushi. The wo marks a direct object. The verb is in its plain form. The verb in a subordinate clause is ALWAYS in its plain form.

To make this a subordinate clause, drop the wo and put the verb before the object (which is now the subject of the complete sentence)

kinou, sushi wo tabeta ---> kinou tabeta sushi ha...

If you specify the subject it takes GA, not ha.

watashi ga kinou tabeta sushi ha ...

The sushi I ate yesterday ... (subject specified rather than left to context)

So, using miru (see) rather than iku (go) because iku needs a "ni", so let's make this easier:

kinou, eiga wo mita = Yesterday, I saw a movie
eiga ha omoshirokatta = The movie was interesting.

To stick these together, make the first a subordinate clause:

kinou, eiga wo mita ----> kinou mita eiga ha

and add the conclusion (including desu for politeness). So:

kinou mita eiga ha oishikatta desu.

Can you (I mean Elumi!) write the sentence "The music (ongaku) I heard (kiku, past tense kiita) was beautiful (utsukushii)? Remember to turn the first part into a subordinate clause and use the past-tense form of the adjective. Wakatta no? <g>

Shira
InsanityRanch

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion