Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Kanji Gold

Kanji Gold

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Kanji Gold

Postby SCMurphy » Tue 05.10.2005 12:14 pm

In the "Problems...Comments" forum I made a note that the LearnKana tool helped me tremendously when I was starting to memorize the 'alphabets'. and someone brought up a tool for learning Kanji, Kanji Gold, and wished that it were more effective. Well since I'm curious by nature and I'm trying to learn anyways I downloaded a copy and started working with it.

Kanji gold has 10 grades (but there is no grade 7) that are supposed to correspond to the Japanese school system for learning the required Kanji. I started with the first 80 then when I felt comfortable I added the next 160. The first time through the combined 240 I was actually managing to recogize 'compressed' Kanji in the Kanji and make educated guesses as to the English meaning, [small]"oooh I'm recognizing radicals!"[/small]. I was Rocking. B)

Let me say that for learning to recognize a Kanji in English I could not ask for a better tool. In a couple weeks I've just about got the first 240 Kanji to the point where I don't miss the English meaning. B)

The problem is that I haven't picked up the Japanese readings for the first 80 Kanji presented in this tool yet. :o Why is that I wondered. When I used the LearnKana tool I picked up the pronounciations by making the sounds as I typed in the Romanji for the Kana. Kanji Gold does have the ability to work in only Japanese, but I didn't know the words in Japanese so I couldn't break that surface.

Then I knew what I was doing. Kanji Gold has you select the meaning from a list of possible meanings. I was reading the English and skipping the On and Kun readings. I realized I really needed to be typing in the readings while saying them to get the Japanese to 'stick'. Just being able to translate the Kanji into English is next to useless. You end up say things like "this means fire and there is some kana and this means paper and I guess that together it's something like, the paper is on fire, or don't put the paper in the fire or something'. Not very useful. ;)

I am going to keep using Kanji Gold to learn the translations as I seem to learn them very quickly that way, but I am going to have to do something else to learn the On and Kun for the Kanji. See my next review for KanjiLab.

http://web.uvic.ca/kanji-gold/
Last edited by SCMurphy on Tue 05.10.2005 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SCMurphy

RE: Kanji Gold

Postby Nebby4T » Tue 05.10.2005 4:40 pm

I have this, but I don't know how to use it. What grade do I start on?
Nebby4T

RE: Kanji Gold

Postby SCMurphy » Tue 05.10.2005 10:33 pm

It starts automatically on Grade 1. You click on the "On-Time" menu and select "Move new Kanji to On-Time". Click on the big green R button to start a review.
SCMurphy

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips