Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - uses of arimasen??

uses of arimasen??

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

uses of arimasen??

Postby Variand » Tue 05.10.2005 10:38 pm

Ok, so i'm trying ot learn japanese out of a book i bought... and it says the negative of 'desu' is either "de wa arimasen" or "ja arimasen". but what it doesn't say is when to use either one or the other.

for the most part it has only used ja arimasen in the examples, but the whole de wa arimasen is throwing me off. can anyone show me the light?
Variand

AIM = FI Variand
Variand

RE: uses of arimasen??

Postby maikeru » Wed 05.11.2005 12:18 am

Variand wrote:
Ok, so i'm trying ot learn japanese out of a book i bought... and it says the negative of 'desu' is either "de wa arimasen" or "ja arimasen". but what it doesn't say is when to use either one or the other.

for the most part it has only used ja arimasen in the examples, but the whole de wa arimasen is throwing me off. can anyone show me the light?

ja is simply a contraction of dewa. dewa is slightly more polite but ja arimasen is still very polite. They mean exactly the same.
maikeru

Postby maikeru » Wed 05.11.2005 12:20 am

Variand wrote:

ja is simply a contraction of dewa. dewa is slightly more polite but ja arimasen is still very polite. They mean exactly the same.
maikeru

Postby Variand » Wed 05.11.2005 12:46 am

ah ok, arigato. clears things up a bit.
Variand

AIM = FI Variand
Variand

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems