Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - International Universites in Japan

International Universites in Japan

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

International Universites in Japan

Postby josh_mac » Thu 07.27.2006 7:29 pm

Hi,
I'm pretty young(14) and have been learning the wonderful Japanese language for about 9 months now. I'm weighing up the options for my future now and obviously unless something very drastic happens I will end up in Japan. I was wondering if there were any good international Universities in Japan? Any feedback is really appreciated. Thanks

Oh and how many people are going to London to take the JLPT this year? I might see some of ya there!
josh_mac

RE: International Universites in Japan

Postby Nibble » Thu 07.27.2006 8:23 pm

What do you mean by 'international'? A university that accepts foreign students, one that offers its courses in English, or one that teaches Japanese to foreigners? If the first one, pretty much all of them do; however, you need to know enough Japanese to be able to pass a test comparable to JLPT level 1 in order to be accepted.

With 3-5 years ahead of you, I don't think that's unrealistic... if you study hard.
Nibble

Postby Shibakoen » Thu 07.27.2006 8:51 pm

If you want American Schools, Temple University has a campus in Tokyo. I've heard mixed things about it. You can definitely try getting into a Japanese Uni. Definitely check out places like Keio and Waseda, etc. Tokyo's got like 100 Universities.
Shibakoen

Postby Sumi » Thu 07.27.2006 9:27 pm

I've wanted to go to a Japanese university rather than a American one.
ねえ、あのう、弟さん、ここに遊んじゃだめだよ。あそこは酸があるんだよ。
Sumi

Postby keatonatron » Fri 07.28.2006 3:11 am

If you don't speak really good Japanese, your options are pretty much limited to the American schools that offer courses in English. As far as I know, none of the Japanese universities offer that. Also, going as an exchange is by far the easiest and most secure, but you can only go for one year (probably). If you go by yourself, it is very expensive! You can't really work much, so you'd probably have to have at least $30,000 (Y3,000,000) saved up PER YEAR OF STUDY IN JAPAN.

If you want to go for 4 years, that comes to $120,000 USD.

EDIT: Also, if you want to go to a Japanese university you have to take the national foreign student exam. Your score on the test determines which school you can go to. The test covers multiple subjects, including advanced math with no calculator!

I don't want to discourage anyone, I'm just trying to help you be as informed as possible. ;)
Last edited by keatonatron on Fri 07.28.2006 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby josh_mac » Fri 07.28.2006 5:18 am

your not discouraging me at all it's good someone lays the facts down straight! thanks for your feedback everyone.
josh_mac

Postby battousai » Fri 07.28.2006 9:04 am

keatonatron wrote:

Not much different than 4 years at a normal American university if you dorm. :|
battousai

Postby Ezrach » Fri 07.28.2006 9:08 am

Tuition is expensive, but if you attend a uni in a major city, finding work is easy. You can legally work around 28 hours per week on a student visa, after you've secured permission to do so (which is a round trip to immigration followed by a stamp, no questions asked). I charged 2,500 / hour for a private lesson, with slight discounts for group lessons. All I did was meet at a cafe of their convenience. They paid for my ride and time. (I was in Tokyo at the time, studying at 上智大学)

As a foreigner on low income, you'll be eligible for tuition at half price at any national university (Fukushima university, for example, is 600K Yen per semester, 300K after the halved tuition). You can also apply for scholarships. The university will have an office specifically dedicated to scholarships and jobs available for students, if you want to check that out as well.

It's a great experience, but the whole college atmosphere is a bit crappy. People wake up 2 hours before leaving for school and get all made up (usually females, but even some guys do it) - a big change from just waking up, throwing on some jeans, and heading to class. Japanese students are too high-maintenance.
Ezrach

Postby josh_mac » Fri 07.28.2006 10:52 am

"People wake up 2 hours before leaving for school and get all made up (usually females, but even some guys do it) - a big change from just waking up, throwing on some jeans, and heading to class. Japanese students are too high-maintenance."
yeah I thought they might be:D which is soooo not me!
Is anyone from the UK here? Cardiffs course looks pretty good.
http://www.shef.ac.uk/prospectus/2006/coursedetail.php?courseid=87#otherqual
Last edited by josh_mac on Fri 07.28.2006 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
josh_mac

Postby Ezrach » Fri 07.28.2006 11:32 am

It's not a major drawback (the high-maintenance deal), it's just noticeable. You won't be outcast if you insist on wearing jeans and a t-shirt everyday. I just wanted to point it out so you'd have a general idea.

Classes are really laid back compared to Western unis. You have a lot more free time as a student in Japan.
Last edited by Ezrach on Fri 07.28.2006 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ezrach

Postby two_heads_talking » Fri 07.28.2006 2:32 pm

battousai wrote:
keatonatron wrote:

yeah if you are attending harvard or some other IVY league school..
two_heads_talking

Postby spin13 » Fri 07.28.2006 8:31 pm

...on scholarship.

I didn't attend an Ivy League school. Expected tuition for next year is $44,185 and you are required to own a laptop. Add $2500 for the school laptop and software.

Then start laying gold eggs...
Last edited by spin13 on Fri 07.28.2006 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spin13

Postby keatonatron » Fri 07.28.2006 10:18 pm

battousai wrote:
keatonatron wrote:

I just finished 4 years at an American university, and my student loans total $31,000. I lived in on campus or in an apartment the whole time, and got financial aid from the government.

No (guaranteed) financial aid if you go to Japan :(
keatonatron

Postby Sumi » Fri 07.28.2006 10:22 pm

keatonatron wrote:
If you don't speak really good Japanese, your options are pretty much limited to the American schools that offer courses in English. As far as I know, none of the Japanese universities offer that. Also, going as an exchange is by far the easiest and most secure, but you can only go for one year (probably). If you go by yourself, it is very expensive! You can't really work much, so you'd probably have to have at least $30,000 (Y3,000,000) saved up PER YEAR OF STUDY IN JAPAN.

EDIT: Also, if you want to go to a Japanese university you have to take the national foreign student exam. Your score on the test determines which school you can go to. The test covers multiple subjects, including advanced math with no calculator!

I don't want to discourage anyone, I'm just trying to help you be as informed as possible. ;)

Thank you for the information. When it comes to advanced math, how advanced are we talking? I'm not a math whiz and the sound of advanced and math put together makes me somewhat sick.
ねえ、あのう、弟さん、ここに遊んじゃだめだよ。あそこは酸があるんだよ。
Sumi

Postby keatonatron » Fri 07.28.2006 11:25 pm

Sumi wrote:
When it comes to advanced math, how advanced are we talking?

Something like this. :p

Info on the whole test can be found here.
keatonatron

Next

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan