Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - New Chat

New Chat

Spotted any errors or found anything that doesn't work?

RE: New Chat

Postby paul_b » Sun 07.30.2006 5:05 am

zengargoyle wrote:
i don't care about numbers. i rather care about quality. this chat is for the members of this forum who participate and want to teach or learn.

When the number of people chatting is one or zero then the quality is also non-existant. I'll also note that one of the people who thought that the chat system was still buggy thanks to all the "can't log in" posts was me.
paul_b

Postby zengargoyle » Sun 07.30.2006 5:48 am

max chatting users tends to peak around 10 and average is probably 5 and i've seen 17 in chatrooms at once. currently there are 21 users connected to the server and only 5 actually in chatrooms. those are pretty common numbers since the server has been up. but the past week has been slower than normal for some reason. (must be the heat)

from what i can gather, that's about the amount of participation back when it was flash-chat, maybe just a bit under. the few times i used flash-chat there weren't that many people and it was slow as snot.

out of the 14883 registered users (well, these numbers are from a month or so ago when only 13000 or so users)...
11674 == never posted once
13603 < 10 posts
14047 < 100 posts
4060 haven't visited in last year
8248 not visit in last 6 months

so don't let the big numbers make you think there are actually a lot of users. TJP has maybe 1000 (at the most) active participating interested members and tons and tons of signup and forget users.

the chat server can handle 95 concurrent users and that's a server-hosting-plan limit for number of connections, it can be bumped up to 300 or 500 without any problem other than $$.

anyway, nope, nothing at all wrong with chat server (aside from some non-accesibility problems now and then due to el-cheapo IRC hosting provider), it's been up and working for the past 46+ days solid and has only been down when i've had to restart it to add a couple modules that couldn't be added while it was running.

so get thee a client and start visiting....
zengargoyle

Postby Infidel » Sun 07.30.2006 5:59 am

if the forums had some sort of level system i would use that instead. and in the comments on the chat instruction page is a notice that you have to participate for a while before being allowed into chat, which just goes to show how much attention people don't pay...

There's part of the problem right there. "in the comments" not in the article itself. The important stuff goes in the article. Comments on articles almost never add useful info. Just a bunch of useless opinions.

Jovita K Gonzalez on June 22 2006 - 16:34:26
I LIKE FLASHCHAT FOREVER I SAD I MISS FLASHCHAT :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(
is a pretty standard "comment" and the reason they don't get read.

Like I said, it needs to be somewhere obvious. Not buried under a bunch of comments. Useful info goes in the artices. Comments are nothing but useless opinions. That's why they aren't read. Saying that the important information was in the comments is like saying that the bill was in the trash. What? You don't dig it the trash to make sure there isn't something important in there?
Last edited by Infidel on Sun 07.30.2006 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby paul_b » Sun 07.30.2006 6:11 am

Infidel wrote:
There's part of the problem right there. "in the comments" not in the article itself. The important stuff goes in the article. Comments on articles almost never add useful info. Just a bunch of useless opinions.

Which, IMO, is because new comments don't show up in the "newest threads" or appear in lists somewhere with stars next to them.
paul_b

Postby zengargoyle » Sun 07.30.2006 7:03 am

nope, you read the comments to see if somebody else had the same problem and fixed it. if they can't do that i have no pity. besides which, i can't edit the article. in hindsight, it might have been better to leave the link pointing to the this thread, but at the time it seemed like a good idea to give a 'preferred' client instructions page because the choice of clients was confusing too many people. it's yet another thing on the list of things to do to move the accumulated chat info into the wiki... 'cause you know people aren't going to read through 7 pages to find their answer... :(

<rant about infinite number of PHP-Fusion inadequacies deleted>

anyways, all that putting a '10 posts needed' notice in place would do is cause people to make 10 junk posts about absolutely nothing and sorta defeats the purpose. it's better to just remove the restriction and knock on wood.

how i wish fusion had a Experience System...
zengargoyle

Postby paul_b » Sun 07.30.2006 7:11 am

zengargoyle wrote:
nope, you read the comments to see if somebody else had the same problem and fixed it. if they can't do that i have no pity.

Pity-smitty, if people visit here and find "I can't use the chat" "I can't log in" on the shoutbox three times a day it isn't just doesn't give a good impression.
paul_b

Postby zengargoyle » Sun 07.30.2006 8:20 am

when they get on chat and sombody is being foul and there's nothing that can be done it they will have a worse impression. hopefully i'll get a chance to get something in place before something bad happens.
zengargoyle

Postby lucas666 » Sun 07.30.2006 10:20 am

thanks for the clarification, zengargoyle-san. I do indeed appreciate your way of having new users post first in the forum before being allowed to participate in the chat. However, doing so, from my point of view will either discourage new users to refrain from using the chat (a few fail attempts is all they need to not bother with the client again) or entices them to spam the forums (if they know about the new ruling of needing 'n' number of posts before chat is allowed).

My point is, most new users who register have short-live interests. If they aren't allowed to access certain features/facilities in the site, then they'll leave, probably not to return. IMHO, having a requirement to post 'n' posts, doesn't remove previously banned users from re-registering again, and real new users are the ones to suffer.

Anyway, this is a great site. The grammar section is especially useful. I finally felt like I'm making some progress. Can't wait to access the chat.:D
lucas666

Postby Infidel » Mon 07.31.2006 5:01 am

nope, you read the comments to see if somebody else had the same problem and fixed it. if they can't do that i have no pity.

You can also dig in the trash can behind a restaurant to see what perfectly good food they threw away. Really, comments almost never have useful info. It's like rooting around in a bunch of slimey discarded midden looking for something tasty. People who do that aren't smart, they are pathetic. I feel sorry for them. The restaurant manager shouldn't tell you to check out back if you couldn't find what you wanted on the menu and then claim it's your problem.

Anyway, article comments are one-way. There is never an expectation that the article author or any of the people who posted comments before prior will ever see new comments and respond to them. They are off the beaten path of the forums so there are no "new post" notices. Nothing to indicate to anyone that there is new info. And comments again almost never have useful, they just have comments. Besides, I looked at that pile of trash comments and didn't see the comment you commented was in the comment section about the post limit. It must be there because you said so, but I didn't see it when I looked for it. Which means again, it's not very obvious.

[quote'cause you know people aren't going to read through 7 pages to find their answer...[/quote]

And they really shouldn't be expected to. People have other things to do. The more important information is, the closer it should be to the top of the page.

besides which, i can't edit the article.

Delete it and make a new one. Cut and paste + text editor. Now that we have wiki up it would be better to stick with it than use the article function though. Then people can come here and ask questions and then we can edit the wiki.
Last edited by Infidel on Mon 07.31.2006 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby paul_b » Mon 07.31.2006 5:58 am

Infidel wrote:
Now that we have wiki up it would be better to stick with it than use the article function though. Then people can come here and ask questions and then we can edit the wiki.

I see the FAQ link still points to the old location - I thought it was going to be changed to point to the WIKI [wiki]Just the FAQs[/wiki] page?
paul_b

Postby zengargoyle » Mon 07.31.2006 6:12 am

paul_b wrote:
Infidel wrote:
Now that we have wiki up it would be better to stick with it than use the article function though. Then people can come here and ask questions and then we can edit the wiki.

I see the FAQ link still points to the old location - I thought it was going to be changed to point to the WIKI [wiki]Just the FAQs[/wiki] page?

i noticed a while back that the wiki faqs page had been added to the home page and assumed that the FAQ link in the Navigation panel had been changed as well. i've updated the Navigation link to point to the wiki.

wiki FAQ page
original FAQ page in case i forgot something.
zengargoyle

Postby PiPiS » Tue 08.01.2006 10:45 pm

Hi,
I need some help, I'm trying to login to the chat using Panadion but the server keep disconneting my login. Some advices?? Thank you.:(
PiPiS

Postby PiPiS » Tue 08.01.2006 10:47 pm

Tessen wrote:
出来ましたぞぉ〜〜!! 絶叫  
if you have problems specifically with your computer, (like me) i recommend jwchat, the web based one. IT WORKS!!! YeaaaAA ..転がす 勤めてみんな!! dont give up on it ppl, try all the clients first
がんを張って!!had to try it... :P 頑張れ

Good Morning,

Can I know where can I get the web-based chat? Thank you.
PiPiS

RE: hey um.....

Postby kyashi » Mon 08.28.2006 5:32 pm

i dont want to downlaod a different server or anything of that matter..... what i use anywhere at any time with interent connection is meebo.com u can log into jabber and yahoo etc etc all at the same time but ........i dont know how to join a chat room there... can anyone help me???i log in perfectly but i dont know how to join chat room
kyashi

Postby kanadajin » Mon 08.28.2006 5:38 pm

well you know it would be a lot easier if you download pandion. All I can say is to read the chat intructions, maybe that will help..
kanadajin

PreviousNext

Return to Problems