Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - American banks w/ branches in Tokyo

American banks w/ branches in Tokyo

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

American banks w/ branches in Tokyo

Postby spin13 » Mon 07.31.2006 5:21 pm

I am interested in compiling a list of (national) American banks that have branches in or throughout the Tokyo area. For example, I have heard that CitiBank is present in Tokyo and I know that Bank of America is not. Can anybody else verify the presence of other banks?

I ask because I assume there are minimal if any fees for accessing an account from anywhere as long as it is the same bank. I also assume this eliminates most of the time delays in accessing money. Please inform me if this is incorrect. I'll also have a Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi account setup through my employer, so I'm mostly interested in having an accessible account within my first month or two before paychecks start rolling in.

Thank you,
-Eric
spin13

Native language: English

RE: American banks w/ branches in Tokyo

Postby Shibakoen » Mon 07.31.2006 10:02 pm

There is a Citibank branch in Ginza, I think, but unfortunately that's the only one I can think of off hand. I really liked my Shinsei bank account. I could do a lot online with that. I've heard that their investment arm has come under some trouble recently, however. Anyway, the postal ATMs are pretty useful because you can get money from overseas accounts from that. I do think there is a charge, though, but it's nothing like the $24 I had to pay that silly Banco Santander whenever I got money out in Mexico. Ridiculous. Just plan on making larger withdrawls. You'd be amazed how normal it is to pay for a cheeseburger with a 10,000 yen note (roughly like a $100 bill, I guess more like 85-95 depending on the exchange rate.) If you dropped a Benji in Makkers in the States they'd look at you funny and many gas stations where I'm from don't take $50 or $100 bills.

Added link to Citi bank ATM locations. http://www.citibank.co.jp/en/shpatm/al001a_index.html

Also checked Wachovia and BoA: nothing.

Link to the Economist Cheat Sheet on banking in Japan:
http://www.economist.com/cities/Displayobject.cfm?obj_id=1545799
Last edited by Shibakoen on Mon 07.31.2006 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shibakoen

Postby billy-jay » Tue 08.01.2006 12:13 am

That's funny; I could've sworn there was a Bank of America here. I used to know some guys who (I thought) worked there. I'll see if I can get a hold of one of them and find out.
billy-jay

Postby keatonatron » Tue 08.01.2006 12:43 am

spin13 wrote:
I ask because I assume there are minimal if any fees for accessing an account from anywhere as long as it is the same bank.

Bank of America once charged me an "out of state fee" for using one of their ATMs in Oregon instead of Washington :@
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby Chris Hart » Tue 08.01.2006 1:08 am

It looks like RBS (Royal Bank fo Scotland), the parent company of Citizens group/Charter One Bank, has a Tokyo branch as well. I'm not certain how accounts with them work internationally though.
Chris Hart

Postby Shibakoen » Tue 08.01.2006 8:13 pm

billy-jay wrote:
That's funny; I could've sworn there was a Bank of America here. I used to know some guys who (I thought) worked there. I'll see if I can get a hold of one of them and find out.

There might be an investment banking/corporate banking presense, but I couldn't find any Tokyo branches on their website.
Shibakoen

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan