Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Programmers In Japan ?

Programmers In Japan ?

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

Programmers In Japan ?

Postby kawada2998 » Tue 08.01.2006 4:33 am

When I leave school , and after University (if i get there) I wanna pursue a career in programming. And when I can save up the money, move to Japan. :)

I am asking , is there a big need for programmers over there ?
Are there lots of jobs in the programming industry.
And if so, would it be possible for a foreigner to get a job in programming ?
Image "I know lucidity." (-_-)
kawada2998

RE: Programmers In Japan ?

Postby ComradeJoe » Tue 08.01.2006 8:10 am

To be blunt, I have no idea how the japanese labour market works, but why would they hire a foreign programmer over a japanese one? :|
Last edited by ComradeJoe on Tue 08.01.2006 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
ComradeJoe

Postby Oracle » Tue 08.01.2006 8:52 am

It's certainly possible to work as a developer/programmer in Japan. I've done it (in Tokyo) - and I know others who have/do as well. A few things to keep in mind though:

Programmers in general don't get paid that well - certainly not as well as a good development job in the US would. This is especially true for local Japanese companies.

They work you really hard. This happens in IT everywhere, but the Japanese attitude towards work and what has to be done to satisfy (often unreasonable) customer expectations means that you can work long hours (for the previously mentioned low pay! ).

Communication is obviously important and you do need good Japanese and the ability to read/write design specifications if you're going to work for purely Japanese company, but you can work as a developer in Tokyo without needing Japanese at all (and make good money) by working for one of the big foreign financial companies which have offices there. Learn all about fixed derivatives and financial products combined with C++ and Java and you'll probably find a place in Tokyo :)

Good luck!
Oracle

Native language: English

Postby keatonatron » Tue 08.01.2006 8:52 am

Sure it's possible. Looking at job hunting sites, I've seen a few foreign companies in Japan looking to hire English-speaking programmers. Unfortunately, the industry is flooded right now and I've seen even more "job wanted" posts from people with 10+ years experience not able to find work. I hate to say it, but my opinion is (and always has been) that "I'm going to save up money and move to Japan" is about the worst long-term plan you can make. There are way too many unknown variables.
keatonatron

Postby istanbul » Tue 08.01.2006 9:42 am

hi i am living in turkey. a senior programmer. working for biggest mobile company. know .net and java. my ultimate goal is also to move in japan. i saw someone suggested java. i knew good java. but my curent job is on .net.

what u suggest for japan. i know some oracle and some sql server. database seems better area for finding a job. i taught i had better improve them.

oracle seems an international value.

anyway i wish to talk with computer progrramers in these manners...
much loses much, few loses few...
istanbul

Postby mosiesk » Tue 08.01.2006 10:36 am

I too, want to eventually work in Japan, but are there any regulations about buying a property over there? My dad was researching for me and all you seem to be able to do is rent accommmodation.
"Tell me, when the snow melts what does it become?"
mosiesk

Postby Budomaru » Tue 08.01.2006 11:30 am

keatonatron wrote:
I hate to say it, but my opinion is (and always has been) that "I'm going to save up money and move to Japan" is about the worst long-term plan you can make.

unfortunately true - i've almost given up on this idea although it doesnt really affect my future plans. to be honest, i'd expect someone to have quite unique or spectacular skills in order to actually combat the chances of losing a job to a native japanese person. not to mention that you will need very good language skills (in both japanese and programming :P).

low pay isnt something easy to ignore, unless you're really passionate or special and can manage to get a higher pay. both cases are not the kind of thing anyone should take for granted.
You know you've been hanging around a forum too long when people start quoting you and agreeing :P
Budomaru

Postby Justin » Tue 08.01.2006 11:34 am

mosiesk wrote:
I too, want to eventually work in Japan, but are there any regulations about buying a property over there? My dad was researching for me and all you seem to be able to do is rent accommmodation.

I'm fairly certain you CAN buy land, it's just a matter of getting a proper loan to do so, or having enough cash to straight out buy the land/house. You see, if you come over to Japan, a place where you have yet to build any credit at all, followed by the fact that at some point you may just pack things up and head home, it can be awfully hard getting a large enough loan to pay for a house.
Justin

Postby Oracle » Tue 08.01.2006 11:51 am

It's definately possible to buy land/a house in Japan. It takes a few years living there, a steady job history, plus being married to a Japanese national probably doesn't hurt to get a loan..

Here's a blog entry by a guy who did it: http://www.dannychoo.com/blog_entry/eng/515/Tokyo+Property+Purchase/
Oracle

Postby mosiesk » Tue 08.01.2006 2:17 pm

Oracle wrote:
It's definately possible to buy land/a house in Japan. It takes a few years living there, a steady job history, plus being married to a Japanese national probably doesn't hurt to get a loan..

Here's a blog entry by a guy who did it: http://www.dannychoo.com/blog_entry/eng/515/Tokyo+Property+Purchase/

Hehe, marrying a Japanese guy was an idea....joke.

Thank you so much for giving me that site. It told me everything I need to know.
"Tell me, when the snow melts what does it become?"
mosiesk

Postby chikara » Tue 08.01.2006 11:03 pm

Oracle wrote:.....They work you really hard. This happens in IT everywhere, but the Japanese attitude towards work and what has to be done to satisfy (often unreasonable) customer expectations means that you can work long hours (for the previously mentioned low pay! )....

This was certainly my impression from my visits to Japan. The technical people I worked with at IBM Global Services Japan appeared to have quite reasonable conditions but it was certainly a culture shock when I went on site at a large player in the auto industry. A sweat shop is the only way I could describe it :o

This article, Getting an IT job in Japan, on gaijinpot.com may help.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby kawada2998 » Wed 08.02.2006 4:08 am

many replies :D
Thanks for them all, they have helped :)
Thanks for the site chikara
Image "I know lucidity." (-_-)
kawada2998

Postby KINGZ » Wed 08.02.2006 7:49 am

Oracle wrote:

I was thinking the price to own was much higher tokyo, its nothing to by a 1200sqft house down here for $250,000 in florida. hell if you can find something in the slumbs for 150k you are doing good.
KINGZ

Postby keatonatron » Wed 08.02.2006 8:50 am

KINGZ wrote:
I was thinking the price to own was much higher tokyo

I didn't read that article, but a 2 bedroom APARTMENT in Tokyo usually costs around $350,000 to buy.
keatonatron

Return to General off topic