Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - 大学に日本。

大学に日本。

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

大学に日本。

Postby Sumi » Tue 08.01.2006 11:08 am

I've been wanting to attend a Japanese university for some time now. I've been trying to find information on how this can be done, but the more information I find, the more confused I become.

So, has anyone here gone to a Japanese university? If so, how did you do it?

-Thanks in advance
-すみ
ねえ、あのう、弟さん、ここに遊んじゃだめだよ。あそこは酸があるんだよ。
Sumi

RE: 大学に日本。

Postby Budomaru » Tue 08.01.2006 11:14 am

Jasso Homepage

you might find this interesting and useful - when i was looking around for scholarships to japanese universities, this one was one of the most important ones (if not the most important of all) out of the sites i found.
You know you've been hanging around a forum too long when people start quoting you and agreeing :P
Budomaru

Postby Sumi » Tue 08.01.2006 11:34 am

どうもうありがとう、but I have one more question. What exactly is a guarantor?
Sumi

Postby keatonatron » Tue 08.01.2006 12:39 pm

Someone who guarantees that you will have enough money. In other words, if you can't/don't pay your tuition or you get into trouble and need money, the bill will go to the guarantor.

For most schools/programs, the guarantor has to be able to show that they have money in the bank (maybe around $30,000-50,000?) and a steady income.
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby Sumi » Tue 08.01.2006 1:34 pm

So, do I just ask a good friend or something like that?
Sumi

Postby Nibble » Tue 08.01.2006 1:52 pm

A good friend with thirty to fifty thousand dollars. Usually a parent would be your guarantor.

Unless you're going to a special university that offers courses in English, you'll also need to have very good Japanese (around JLPT level 1).
Nibble

Postby Sumi » Tue 08.01.2006 2:05 pm

So even if my mother didn't live in Japan, she could be my guarantor? Or does your guarantor have to live in Japan?
Sumi

Postby clay » Tue 08.01.2006 3:13 pm

I would guess the guarantor could be any where just as long as they had proof of support.

This reminds me of a funny story. Back in 1998 I and another American friend met a guy from Venezuela named Rafael. I remember asking him what he did for a living. He replied 大学院 daigakuin which means 'grad school.' My friend and I looked at each other with horror on our faces. We both could have sworn he said 'Drag Queen!'

(Rafael, if you are reading this すまん)
clay
Site Admin

Postby AJBryant » Tue 08.01.2006 5:37 pm

So even if my mother didn't live in Japan, she could be my guarantor? Or does your guarantor have to live in Japan?

IIRC, the guarantor has to (1) be in Japan, and (2) be Japanese. They have to be someone that the body can go after, and international lawsuits are difficult and annoying. Someone who is Japanese isn't likely to flee the country to avoid paying someone's bill.

At any rate, they'll tell you what is required of a guarantor. Which, btw, you need for EVERYTHING -- from apartment rentals, to school fees, etc.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby Sumi » Tue 08.01.2006 6:58 pm

*Sigh. This is going to be hard...
Sumi

Postby keatonatron » Tue 08.01.2006 11:36 pm

AJBryant wrote:
IIRC, the guarantor has to (1) be in Japan, and (2) be Japanese.

Depends on the school. My school is all foreign students, so it doesn't matter where the guarantor is. It would assume 留学生 programs are more lenient about this kind of stuff.
keatonatron

Postby oban » Wed 08.02.2006 12:39 am

WOW!!! But it is for the better once you complete 大学に日本, correct? can you tell me why it is better to study at a 大学に日本. お願いします! cuz i do not know if i should go to Japan or stay in the U.S.. But i am only 16, so i have plenty of time to think about it. :D
thank you

Sean
ショオン[center][/center]
oban

Postby keatonatron » Wed 08.02.2006 9:05 am

Let me get this straight-- You're trying to decide whether to go to college in Japan or America? I don't see how that is even a choice.

American colleges are number one. Thousands of Japanese people want to come to America to go to college, and if you go to Japan with an American college degree it is well respected. No Americans want to go to a Japanese college, and for good reason. If you come to America with a Japanese college degree, it's pretty much worthless. Plus everyone will ask you-- "Why?".

On top of all that, American colleges are extremely cheap for you. Japanese people are paying out the ears to go while you can get free money from the government and cheap tuition. A Japanese college will be insanely expensive; you'll get no help from the government and your tuition will most likely be higher than a normal student. Despite the cost, the benefits of a Japanese school are extremely small, if even there at all.
keatonatron

Postby clay » Wed 08.02.2006 9:36 am

In the States public high school is a joke (or at least it was in my day). I moved 3 times in two different states during my high school years which gave me a chance to try out three different schools. I can honestly say, at each of these schools I never did any homework at home; I always finished it just before or just after class.

However, university really kicked me in the butt. I got a C my first semester! (I always got A's and B's in high school)

I have heard (and seen) in Japan just the opposite. High school is incredibly competitive and challenging but college is a time to play. I don't know if that is a more true than not generalization, but it seems to be said quite a bit.
clay
Site Admin

Postby Sumi » Wed 08.02.2006 10:46 am

I was thinking about going to Stanford University (especially since you don't have to pay tuition if your family makes under 45,000$ a year! Yay!). My school counselor told me that I have a good chance at going & that I should go to an American college instead of wasting a ton of money on a foreign college.

Maybe, I'll just stick to the original plan. Go to college here & then move to Japan.
Sumi

Next

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan