Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Gifts

Gifts

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Gifts

Postby kashikoi92903 » Tue 08.01.2006 11:48 pm

I'm leaving for Japan this coming Monday (five days!) and am planning to meet up with some people. Of the four I'm planning to meet (although actually it may end up only being two or three), I only have two gifts. So for my first question, I know that giving a gift to someone in Japan obligates them to give back, so I'm hoping that what I decided on for the two is not over the top, putting too much pressure on them to get something really nice in return. For my penpal (a girl), I bought a watch complete with a case. For another friend who's the bassist of his band, I ordered custom printed picks. Is that too much?

Secondly, I'll also get to meet two friends of the aforementioned bassist. I've never met them before, so I'm not sure if it's appropriate for me to give them gifts. But seeing as how the bassist is getting one, I don't want to leave them out. Any ideas of what to get? One is a chef (or training to become one - not sure) who lives in France, and the other is the band's vocalist.

Thanks!
kashikoi92903

RE: Gifts

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 08.02.2006 12:07 pm

your gifts should involve you, your culture, and something they are interested in.. sounds good so far. when in doubt something age appropriate would be nice too. maybe some sort of cutlery for the chef (realizing he may have what he needs already) and something for the vocalist would be nice too..
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby clay » Wed 08.02.2006 12:31 pm

Just what Two Heads said and some things I usually take:

1) A dollar's (I am an American) worth of new, shiny pennies (just go to the bank and ask). Children love these as a souvenir
2) box of chocolates (great for taking care of a whole family, office workers, etc.
3) Decaf Coffee - I have never seen this in Japan
4) Items from your culture. For example I took a nice miniture statue of liberty or a photo book on American nature...
clay
Site Admin

Postby Ezrach » Wed 08.02.2006 9:46 pm

It's not really a gift in the sense of a birthday present. It's just a souvenir.

My usual:
1) A box of sees candies. (or, any other famous confectionary brand in your country)
2) Any good coffee, especially Kona and Blue Mountain.
3) T-Shirts with a print of something relating to your country.
4) Some sort of toy you don't think you'd find in Japan. (for children, of course)
Ezrach

Postby Dehitay » Fri 11.10.2006 11:19 am

I hope yall don't mind if I revive this thread. I would like some more ideas of some good things to take. Stuff like a roll of pennies I would have never come up on my own. I'd like the advice of people that know better since my ideas are rather limited

US music CDs
clothes with US designs
US snacks
Last edited by Dehitay on Fri 11.10.2006 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Native language: English

Postby clay » Fri 11.10.2006 11:52 am

Actually this would make a good page for the Wiki. I'll create the page in a sec.

EDIT: Just created it:
http://thejapanesepage.com/w/index.php?title=Omiyage

It is just a quickie so if anyone has anything to add to it or comment on it, please do so there. Once we get enough good information, I'll make it into an article.
Last edited by clay on Fri 11.10.2006 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
clay
Site Admin

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan