Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Job availability

Job availability

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Job availability

Postby Variand » Sat 05.14.2005 2:36 pm

Question...

how hard is it for a gaijin to find a job in japan? obviously the prof test helps out and i know its often required for foreigners. I'm just curious to really know about the biastness of companies to non nihonjin.
Variand

AIM = FI Variand
Variand

RE: Job availability

Postby Matsumoto_hideto » Sat 05.14.2005 2:38 pm

haha i talked to my friend that lives in tokyo

she says teh tests dont mean jack over there.... =_=;;
自由た〜!!!
All things appear and disappear because of the concurrence of causes and conditions. Nothing ever exists entirely alone; everything is in relation to everything else.
Matsumoto_hideto

Postby Variand » Sat 05.14.2005 2:52 pm

lol well i guess you can tell someones proficiency by just talking to them huh.

ka knee chee wah amigo. ^_^
Variand

AIM = FI Variand
Variand

RE: I don't have the Japanese Yellow Pages.

Postby Datadog » Sun 05.15.2005 5:10 am

How would one go about searching for jobs there from here?
Datadog

Postby Mukade » Mon 05.16.2005 12:52 am

you can start with on-line classifieds like:

http://www.gaijinpot.com
http://www.jobsinjapan.com

As far as getting jobs in japan:
As a white foreigner, you will be pigeonholed as an English teacher. Perhaps if you have a business or computer related degree and some good (near-fluent) Japanese skills, you can get a corporate job. Otherwise, you'll be relegated to teaching English. Fortunately, English teaching jobs are a dime a dozen, and some of them still pay fairly well.

If you are a non-white from somewhere like the U.S. or the U.K., you will find it more challenging, but you will probably find the same sorts of jobs open to you. Realize that to the average Japanese, "English-speaking foreigner" equals "WHITE English-speaking foreigner." If you're not white, then you're not TRUELY an American, Brit, etc. It's not impossible, but expect to meet with scepticism and/or outright prejudice. I don't know how many times I've heard the story of an Asian/Hispanic/African-American introducing themselves to a Japanese as an American and having the Japanese respond with a raised eyebrow saying "But...you don't LOOK American..."

If you are a non-white from a non-English speaking country, then you should expect to be forced into very low-level jobs: construction, meat packing, selling jewelry on the street, etc. The Japanese perception of non-whites from places other than the U.S., U.K., Australia, etc., is unfortunately very low. Expect to be discriminated against. Most of Japan's current social woes and rise in crime rates are being pinned on this group by the government and the media.

Last but not least, there are often translation/interpretation jobs open to anyone with good Japanese skills. Of course, Japanese-English is the most common, but you can find work for just about any other combination of Japanese-Foreign language. Unfortunately, this is a tough field to break into. It's one of those jobs where every opening requires experience, and so you're left asking "so where do I GET this experience if no one will ever hire me?!?" I've known some translators who got into the business translating some odd things: Buddhist websites, coffee table books on pottery, etc. Personally, I managed to get some experience translating "adult" manga. >ahem< :o
Mukade

Native language: English

Postby Datadog » Mon 05.16.2005 2:48 pm

Hey! I speak english! And I'm white! I'm just not an American...

I do have experience teaching French to kindgarteners, but even that I'm not very good at.
Datadog

Postby Variand » Tue 05.17.2005 3:29 pm

lol, crap, i cant speak english or japanese very well at all.... im screwed :(
Variand

AIM = FI Variand
Variand

Postby Mukade » Wed 05.18.2005 1:52 am

Variand wrote:
lol, crap, i cant speak english or japanese very well at all.... im screwed :(

Well then, you could always speak with a funny accent and get a job at the Sweden pavilion at Tokyo Disneyland... ;)
Mukade

Native language: English

Postby Variand » Wed 05.18.2005 7:37 am

haha, i'll have to keep that in mind lol.
Variand

AIM = FI Variand
Variand

Postby Akutabai_Gamma » Mon 05.23.2005 7:32 pm

I wouldn't mind being an english teacher, i don't particuliarly LIKE kids *mind you this is coming from a >16< year old* but i'll get over it, anyway whats the average pay for an english teacher in Japan for both elementary school and highschool teachers?
Akutabai_Gamma

Postby Cherie061403 » Thu 05.26.2005 10:40 pm

Mukade wrote:
you can start with on-line classifieds like:

http://www.gaijinpot.com
http://www.jobsinjapan.com

As far as getting jobs in japan:
As a white foreigner, you will be pigeonholed as an English teacher. Perhaps if you have a business or computer related degree and some good (near-fluent) Japanese skills, you can get a corporate job. Otherwise, you'll be relegated to teaching English. Fortunately, English teaching jobs are a dime a dozen, and some of them still pay fairly well.

If you are a non-white from somewhere like the U.S. or the U.K., you will find it more challenging, but you will probably find the same sorts of jobs open to you. Realize that to the average Japanese, "English-speaking foreigner" equals "WHITE English-speaking foreigner." If you're not white, then you're not TRUELY an American, Brit, etc. It's not impossible, but expect to meet with scepticism and/or outright prejudice. I don't know how many times I've heard the story of an Asian/Hispanic/African-American introducing themselves to a Japanese as an American and having the Japanese respond with a raised eyebrow saying "But...you don't LOOK American..."

If you are a non-white from a non-English speaking country, then you should expect to be forced into very low-level jobs: construction, meat packing, selling jewelry on the street, etc. The Japanese perception of non-whites from places other than the U.S., U.K., Australia, etc., is unfortunately very low. Expect to be discriminated against. Most of Japan's current social woes and rise in crime rates are being pinned on this group by the government and the media.

Last but not least, there are often translation/interpretation jobs open to anyone with good Japanese skills. Of course, Japanese-English is the most common, but you can find work for just about any other combination of Japanese-Foreign language. Unfortunately, this is a tough field to break into. It's one of those jobs where every opening requires experience, and so you're left asking "so where do I GET this experience if no one will ever hire me?!?" I've known some translators who got into the business translating some odd things: Buddhist websites, coffee table books on pottery, etc. Personally, I managed to get some experience translating "adult" manga. >ahem< :o

Awww... well I'm an African American female, so what would I be considered if not American? ^_^

And I hear that the Japanese do not look too brightly upon African Americans which is so unfortunate because I'm very interested in the Culture and yeah I'm also an Osaku, so I just have all kinds of strikes against me don't I? Geeeeze!
Last edited by Cherie061403 on Fri 05.27.2005 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cherie061403

Postby Variand » Fri 05.27.2005 4:49 pm

Don't worry Cherie, we still luv ya ^_^
Variand

AIM = FI Variand
Variand

Postby Cherie061403 » Sat 05.28.2005 1:10 pm

.. Awww stop.... ^_^

hehe JK! :D
Cherie061403

Postby natemb » Wed 06.08.2005 11:52 pm

Akutabai_Gamma,

I don't know what's the average pay, but I'm an ALT (Assistant Language Teacher) in Kyoto, and I make 250,000 yen a month (a little less than $2500). In Japan this is considered a quite good salary for someone just out of college, but if you're comparing it to salaries in your home country, remember that Japan is expensive (especially the cities). I teach in public elementary and junior high schools. To get this job you need a 4 year college degree (doesn't matter what it is) and you need to be a native English speaker. It is possible to get this job with no teaching experience and no Japanese language skills, but of course those help.

The 2 ways I know of to become an ALT if you're not already living in Japan are through the JET program (a Japanese government program) and through private recruiting companies (I got my job through a company called "Interac").

Aside from teaching in public schools as an ALT, there are also many other English teaching jobs in private conversation schools like NOVA, but I don't know how the pay compares.

Here are the JET and Interac websites:
http://www.jetprogramme.org
http://www.interac.co.jp/recruit
Last edited by natemb on Wed 06.08.2005 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
natemb

Postby jay_spears » Wed 06.15.2005 2:17 am

hey, I read that you have to have some kind of degree to work as a teacher in Japan? is there any other jobs for white, 18 year old americans in Japan? O-yasumi nasai! (I hope thats right? Im trying to teach myself Japanese out of a text book... w/ out a teacher... not easy. at all.)
& Famicom RULE!
jay_spears

Next

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan