Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - All About Appearances? An Outsider's Observation.

All About Appearances? An Outsider's Observation.

Japanese, general discussion on the language

RE: All About Appearances? An Outsider's Observation.

Postby Matsumoto_hideto » Fri 05.13.2005 6:40 pm

Mukade wrote:
muxec wrote:
At least in Japanese schools students respect their teachers, not like here, where in some schools students say "Go f. your a. motherf.s" to their teachers.

The notion of Japanese respect towards one's elders and teachers is a myth. It may have been true in a bygone age, but not in modern Japan.

I currently teach in a Japanese middle/high-school academy (学園) and I get disrespected just as often as when I taught middle- and high-school in the U.S. In fact, since there is no system of consequences in place to help enforce the rules, there's nothing that can be done if a student does tell their teacher to take the lesson plan and shove it.

I would have to agree

the whole respect to a "sensei"

has been in decline for sometime

which is supprising from the confucian notion in which asian government was based off of teachings of confucious.

Confucianism gave Japan a hierarchical model for social and political order. It focused on personal interaction, explaining the responsibilities and duties relevant to the five basic dyadic relations:

master–servant, parent–child, husband–wife, elder sibling–younger sibling and friend–friend.

and that relationship has seemed to been lost with each generation
自由た〜!!!
All things appear and disappear because of the concurrence of causes and conditions. Nothing ever exists entirely alone; everything is in relation to everything else.
Matsumoto_hideto

Postby Spaztick » Fri 05.13.2005 7:02 pm

Aight, I stand sorely corrected on my part. The stuff I read from wasn't all that great, the guy was pretty biased and I think he had either a bad financial experience in Japan or something really traumatic, like Japanese warlords raiding his house or something. :P Ok so the last part was made up, but other than that he seemed biased and ticked at the japanese system and way of things.

But, at least I was right that they could do without the rote memorization, I think the British are steering toward the right way, but I'm trying to get one way of learning canned so I can send it out. Long story. :)
XD At this sig.
Number of people that have: 13
SaiaiKenja
Daisuke
Kodi
dreamingxashley
redfoxer
ben
Elumi
LordDisa
Kates
AaRoN
Rezeyu
Hideiko_san
roosh
ParanoiaK3
Spaztick

Postby muxec » Sat 05.14.2005 3:23 pm

Today I heard Israeli tourists who just returned from Japan. It's all about face. Drivers of every tourist bus (including Japnese internal tourism). At any stop longer than 5 minutes the driver starts to wash his bus. Foreigners ask him "Driver-san, why do you wash your bus so often?". And he responds "My bus is my face". Double standards. You may have ass in shit but your face must remain bright.
Toyama Tokanawa : )
muxec

Postby Matsumoto_hideto » Sat 05.14.2005 6:21 pm

muxec wrote:
Today I heard Israeli tourists who just returned from Japan. It's all about face. Drivers of every tourist bus (including Japnese internal tourism). At any stop longer than 5 minutes the driver starts to wash his bus. Foreigners ask him "Driver-san, why do you wash your bus so often?". And he responds "My bus is my face". Double standards. You may have ass in shit but your face must remain bright.

自由た〜!!!
All things appear and disappear because of the concurrence of causes and conditions. Nothing ever exists entirely alone; everything is in relation to everything else.
Matsumoto_hideto

Previous

Return to Japanese General Discussion