Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - SpoilerTag (WagaWiki)

SpoilerTag (WagaWiki)

Spotted any errors or found anything that doesn't work?

SpoilerTag (WagaWiki)

Postby paul_b » Sun 08.06.2006 11:24 am

AFAIK, this forum has spoiler tags
[spoiler]like this?[/spoiler]

Is there something similar that can be used in WagaWiki?

It would be useful for (for example) simple self test quizzes for the lesson pages.

e.g.

Q. What is the ~masu form of する ?
A. [spoiler]します[/spoiler]

[Edit]I suppose I might try <font color=white>stuff here</font>
Last edited by paul_b on Sun 08.06.2006 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
paul_b

RE: SpoilerTag (WagaWiki)

Postby zengargoyle » Sun 08.06.2006 12:01 pm

there isn't at the moment, but it could probably be added without much difficulty. it would just take some experimentation. i've looked over the customization hooks for wikipedia and it looks much easier to hack than PHP-Fusion.

along the same line... i sorta stalled on trying to make an EDICT lookup tag for the forums because of some oddness where the database is SJIS encoded but javascript (and browser) are UTF encoded which means that any EDICT lookup for the Fusion side of things has to be done in javascript in the browser, or painful characterset conversions are needed on the server side... since wiki is UTF it should be easier to do EDICT lookup for the wiki.

only difficulty is the tagging. there will have to be redundancy in the markup, a 'key' value for the link to EDICT part, and a 'display' value for the text itself...

<edict lookup="読む">読みます</edict>

which seems a bit painful... i haven't checked (don't use the WWW interface much) whether or not the backend can handle de-conjugating words before looking them up....

spoiler can probably be added easier, and make a good test case for modifying wiki... spolier is just some CSS style manipulation. probably end up like:

<spoiler text="click for answer">the answer.</spoiler>

i know there are easy hooks into wiki for <tag> like tags, i'm not sure how hard adding BBCode ([tag]) or new wiki markup would be.
zengargoyle

Postby kanadajin » Sun 08.06.2006 12:11 pm

It would be useful for (for example) simple self test quizzes for the lesson pages.

Yeah it would be useful.. And maybe you could use it for romanji too.. LOL jk romaji I know! Don't yell at me :D what i mean by using it for romaji is for example sentences.. Like lets say you were explaining how to use です and the example was 私は[INSERT NAME]です the romaji is usually beside or under the sentence..

私はカナダ人です - watashi wa kanadajin desu.
Maybe you could use the spoiler for the romaji.. Becuase everytime i try to read the kana I always end up reading the romaji.. It's like I would have to put my hand on my computer screen to block out the romaji..
kanadajin

Postby paul_b » Sun 08.06.2006 12:16 pm

Just for info I've used the 'white font' trick to make a [wiki=Quiz 1]simple quiz[/wiki] for the [wiki=Grammar page 1]first lesson[/wiki].
paul_b

Postby paul_b » Sun 08.06.2006 12:44 pm

zengargoyle wrote:
only difficulty is the tagging. there will have to be redundancy in the markup, a 'key' value for the link to EDICT part, and a 'display' value for the text itself...

<edict lookup="読む">読みます</edict>

which seems a bit painful... i haven't checked (don't use the WWW interface much) whether or not the backend can handle de-conjugating words before looking them up....

I don't think it can, at least not 100% reliably.

You can make your tag a bit simplier though.

<edict=読む>読みます</edit> (not dictionary form)
<edict>読む</edit> (dictionary form).
paul_b

Postby kanadajin » Sun 08.06.2006 1:02 pm

Just for info I've used the 'white font' trick to make a simple quiz for the first lesson.

Slick.. I guess we don't really need the spoiler..
kanadajin

Postby paul_b » Sun 08.06.2006 2:42 pm

kanadajin wrote:
Just for info I've used the 'white font' trick to make a simple quiz for the first lesson.

Slick.. I guess we don't really need the spoiler..

Hmm, some people may have overridden the default colours in which case it won't work. Although [spoiler]spoilertags[/spoiler] rely on Javascript (I assume) which some people disable.

Incidentally [wiki]Grammar page 1[/wiki] now has a [wiki=Quiz 2]second quiz[/wiki] up.
paul_b

Postby zengargoyle » Sun 08.06.2006 6:13 pm

<edict=読む>読みます</edit> (not dictionary form)

hrmm. don't think that would work, it's not valid XML. would probably have to be:
<edict>読む</edict> or <edict>読む 読みます</edict> (whitespace to separate).

you could also probably do this for spoiler:

<span style="backgound-color: #FFFFFF; color: #FFFFFF">spoiler here</span>

that is spoiler could be a scripted color change instead of visibility change so the select trick would still work for non-javascript people...
zengargoyle

Return to Problems