Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Keyboard

Keyboard

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

Keyboard

Postby KNH » Tue 08.08.2006 3:54 pm

I’m sure this won’t be a popular thread, but it’s interesting nonetheless, IMO.

I would presume most people do not even know there’s another keyboard out there. Why? ‘Cause the standard keyboard suits everyone’s needs very well.

I embarked on the journey to switch keyboards for no other reason then just because I could. I’m one of those few people who is obsessed with his typing speed.

With the standard QWERTY keyboard, my typing speed was a dazzling 80 wpm, but for someone like me, surly a mere 80 wpm isn’t enough. I wanted my typing speed to be 100 wpm or something of the sort. I needed a new keyboard layout that would do the trick.

The keyboard in question would be the Dvorak keyboard. A picture of the keyboard is here.

After making the switch to the Dvorak keyboard, I was face with a great dilemma. The Japanese IME uses the standard QWERTY input. Needless to say, I found a way to switch the QWERTY input to the Dvorak input. It was quite the search. So much that I would even cut classes just to try and find a solution. I was that obsessed.

So, the point to all of this is… does anyone else use the Dvorak keyboard here?
Last edited by KNH on Tue 08.08.2006 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KNH

RE: Keyboard

Postby Infidel » Tue 08.08.2006 9:32 pm

I use dvorak for romaji and I switch my keyboard to kana mode for entering japanese because standard IME uses qwerty and I can't touch type in qwerty anymore.

It only too about a week to learn to touch type in kana mode. I suggest doing that instead. All you have to do is click the kana button in your language taskbar to type in kana.

I didn't really notice a major improvement in my typing speed with dvorak, but then again, I didn't try to improve my speed very much. I switched to dvorak to alleviate my carpal tunnel from all the typing I do and it made a big difference. Typing doesn't inflict any pain on my wrist anymore.
Last edited by Infidel on Tue 08.08.2006 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby kanadajin » Tue 08.08.2006 9:55 pm

Hmm.. My wpm is 170
kanadajin

Postby Shibakoen » Tue 08.08.2006 10:08 pm

kanadajin wrote:
Hmm.. My wpm is 170

Do not sit next to me in the computer lab!:o Just the thought of someone hammering away on the keys like that is enough to drive me nuts.
Shibakoen

Postby punkgrl326 » Tue 08.08.2006 11:16 pm

Not to be a downer, but I'm not a big fan of the Dvorak keyboard. Many say it's highly efficient in typing and is easier to use than the QWERTY interface, but my school recently switched to the Dvorak keyboard as a standard a few months ago and I can't say how much it confuses me. I miss qwerty when I'm using it. Maybe it's just because I'm so used to it's layout. Oh well :|
"Every act of conscious learning requires the willingness to suffer an injury to one's self-esteem. That is why young children, before they are aware of their own self-importance, learn so easily."

-Thomas Szasz
punkgrl326

Postby KNH » Tue 08.08.2006 11:34 pm

@infidel: Ah, the kana mode is actually an awesome idea. I wish I had seen it that way from the beginning. I'm sure it would've saved me a lot of trouble. But, I managed to find someone who changed the Japanese IME keyboard layout from Qwerty to Dvorak, and he told me how to do it. To do it, one must go to the registry. It's rather harmless, really.

@kanadajin: Surly you must understand 170 wpm is a bit hard to believe. Though, it's not impossible.

@punkgrl: Whether or not Dvorak is more efficient, I really don’t know. All I know is that my accuracy has greatly improved. At the moment, my typing speed is less than that of my Qwerty’s speed. I can usually peak with Dvorak at 70-75 wpm. Then again, I’ve only been using Dvorak for 6 months.
KNH

Postby chikara » Tue 08.08.2006 11:36 pm

The only thing I have against the Dvorak keyboard is that is not widely used. I have yet to see a laptop PC with a Dvorak keyboard. Even if I had one some sites I go to don't allow me to connect my laptop to their network for security reasons so I am forced to use one of their PC's. I have yet to see a Dvorak keyboard at one of these sites. I guess I could always take my own.

By all means learn to touch type on a Dvorak keyboard but IMHO it is a good idea to keep up your QWERTY typing skills as well.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby chikara » Tue 08.08.2006 11:41 pm

kanadajin wrote:
Hmm.. My wpm is 170

You belong in The Guinness Book of World Records :o

Typing Speed Records
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby Infidel » Wed 08.09.2006 1:12 am

The only thing I have against the Dvorak keyboard is that is not widely used. I have yet to see a laptop PC with a Dvorak keyboard. Even if I had one some sites I go to don't allow me to connect my laptop to their network for security reasons so I am forced to use one of their PC's. I have yet to see a Dvorak keyboard at one of these sites. I guess I could always take my own.

Well, thanks to the windows control panel, typing Dvorak is simply a matter of 5 mouse clicks to change the keyboard layout. When I'm at my community college, I just switch the keyboard layout and away I go. Once you know how to touch type it doesn't matter what the lables on the keys say. As a matter of fact, right now I'm typing from work where the keys are all in qwerty layout, but I'm typing dvorak.

For what it's worth, simply changing keyboards wont' make you faster. You still have to train to become fast. The dvorak keyboard just increases your upper limits if you put in the effort.

Guinesses hasn't actually been recording typing speeds for a good while. The lady that held the last record has just stayed there, and probably will be the fastest forever, or at least until they start to record them again.
Last edited by Infidel on Wed 08.09.2006 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Postby keatonatron » Wed 08.09.2006 1:22 am

chikara wrote:
kanadajin wrote:
Hmm.. My wpm is 170

You belong in The Guinness Book of World Records :o

Typing Speed Records

When he tested his typing speed he used only the words "I," "A," and "of." :p

Man, 170 wpm would be like 3 words per second. :o
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby Infidel » Wed 08.09.2006 6:59 am

Meh!

WPM is really a measurment of transposition speed, which I hardly ever do, which most people don't do. Usually, I'm thinking as I type, changing my mind--- re-iterating, formatting, and correcting. WPM is also supposed to be a measure of ERROR free typing. Something most of us are even poorer at. In transposition all the grammar mistakes have already been corrected, when typing our own thoughts mistakes start creeping in that we don't even notice. Sure my WPM is much higher if I ignore grammatical and spelling mistakes.

When I type form letters at work I type very fast, I feel like my fingers are drumming on water. But that is really just because my fingers are used to typing these words, not because they are a valid measurment of my typing speed. I really don't feel like WPM is a useful indicator of speed unless your in the data entry business. Otherwise what matters is can you type words at the speed that you think them. I can certianly answer this in the affirmative.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Postby KNH » Wed 08.09.2006 9:50 am

That makes a lot of sense, Infidel. I know exactly what you're talking about. I appear to be a bit slower when I'm thinking while I type. Nonetheless, I'm still faster than your average individual.

@chikara: As Infidel has stated, Dvorak is easily accessible. So, it’s really not that difficult to use it. The only time a Dvorak user will run into trouble is when the keyboard layout cannot be switched. For example, when I use my school’s computers in one of the labs, I do not have the luxury of being able to get into control panel, so I cannot change the keyboard layout, and I have to search-and-peck. But I’m alright with that. I knew there would be a situation like that when I made the switch. And I honestly believe in the future I’ll be better off with Dvorak.

If you’re computer savvy, you can also find a way to make it so Windows’ default keyboard layout is Dvorak, which is something I have found a way to do with my laptop.

Also, I have stumbled upon an interesting site. It’s a comparison between Qwerty and Dvorak. You can type something in, or you can copy and paste something, and it’ll tell you a bit of information. Anyone can check it out here. And as one will notice, the majority of the typing is done on the home row for a Dvorak user.
Last edited by KNH on Wed 08.09.2006 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
KNH

Postby LaughingMan » Thu 08.10.2006 12:14 am

Early last year, I tried to make a switch over to the Dvorak layout of the keyboard, but unfortunately, since school was underway, I had very little time to train myself to get used to the layout. I thought switching would be an interesting endeavor for increasing speed and efficiency at the computer, and I'm probably right, but to obtain that, I'd really need to work at it.

Growing up at the computer (and consequently, the Qwerty layout), I have gotten used to the Qwerty layout. For all purposes, though, the Qwerty layout is fine with me since I can already type at speeds around 130 wpm (if [url]typingtest.com[/url] is any sort of a reliable basis. Even if this system of measuring typing speed by WPM is flawed, it's at least enough to tell me that I'm able touchtype words that I'm thinking at a reasonably acceptable pace.

Some history on the Qwerty and Dvorak layouts for you:
The Qwerty layout was made with the intention of limiting your typing speed. Back in the days when layouts were still being tested on typewriters, they would find that typewriters would jam a lot if there would be an efficient layout you're typing with. If letters next to each other would be pounded in rapid, quick succession, the typewriter would jam. (Think of how far the letters for the word "the" are spaced apart on a Qwerty keyboard as opposed to a Dvorak keyboard, where they're all on the homerow).
The Dvorak layout was experimented with later in the times of the Great Depression, and they found that workers were able to work with the productivity of two people instead of just one. Since this was the Great Depression, people needed jobs, so they couldn't put this new innovation into effect at the cost of people's jobs. Just a case of bad timing, I suppose.
「このノートに名前を書かれた人間は死ぬ」
LaughingMan

Return to General off topic