Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Just Another Kid Wanting to Go to College

Just Another Kid Wanting to Go to College

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Just Another Kid Wanting to Go to College

Postby chiisu321 » Wed 08.16.2006 11:05 pm

I'm just another trying to go to a university in Japan. I consider myself well informed (i've been doing my research on policies and lerking around the forums). Also i plan to go before i jump into anything (wouldn't wanna get there an not like it :|)

Anyway, I've been reading that some schools will look MUCH better on a resume than others. I was wondering what those schools may be. I'm thinking about Kobe University and Tokai University. But I'm sure i have a much better chance of getting into a school like International Christian University or Temple. (my grades are near perfect, but i still expect it to be difficult)

That brings me to my second question. What type of material would be on the entrace exam? I realize that every school has a different one and that some will be more difficult than others, but i have no idea what to study at this point. Where can i find study material for entrance exams?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me :D
Last edited by chiisu321 on Wed 08.16.2006 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chiisu321

RE: Just Another Kid Wanting to Go to College

Postby Schattenjedi » Wed 08.16.2006 11:21 pm

You mentioned that your grades are near perfect. How about your Japanese level?
Schattenjedi

Postby chiisu321 » Wed 08.16.2006 11:28 pm

I'm only at about upper beginner level. I started studying in June. I've got a few years though and i've set goals of what level i want to be at when. Based on JPLT 4 i know all but a few of the Kanji, i know the grammer, but i'm weak in it, and i've touched the vocab.
chiisu321

Postby keatonatron » Thu 08.17.2006 2:37 am

I wrote a lot about this in one of the other (many) threads about university in Japan.

If you want to go to a Japanese university, it is extremely difficult to go by yourself. You have to pass the exchange student exam, which tests Japanese at a near-high school level (i.e. aimed for Japanese highschoolers), as well as other subjects (math, history, world issues, etc.). It's also not cheap (maybe $120,000 or more for 4 years), and there is no financial aid to speak of.

On the other hand, if you are able to go as an exchange student through a university in the states, things are a lot easier. You get financial aid, you only have to pay tuition for the US school, and you don't have to speak Japanese all that well.

A degree at a Japanese university probably won't help much unless you want to be a translator or something. If you come back to the states and try to go into a technical field where knowledge is very important, people will think "Did he really understand the Japanese enough to learn everything?". In Japan people will think "why didn't he just go to an American school? They're better than ours and easy for him to get in! Maybe he failed at an American school and decided to come to Japan where it's easier to fool people?" (small exxageration). I think people should really think about WHY they want to go to a Japanese college. Many people think about the "fun" factor, but once the fun is over and they've got a degree that no one takes seriously, they might start having second thoughts.
Last edited by keatonatron on Thu 08.17.2006 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby Reno » Thu 08.17.2006 3:22 am

Keaton is right about that, BUT (and its a big but):

Going to another country and study there is one of the best experiences ever. I am going to New York in about a month where I will study Filmmaking and I just can't wait. A whole other culture, other language, other friends at some point. Yeah there will be hell of a lot of )(*&#$@ along the way but don't give up!
Good luck with studying everybody and I hope one day I will be able to pick it back up.

Until then, a nice goodbye from me to you ;)
Reno

Postby keatonatron » Thu 08.17.2006 9:05 am

Of course it would be an amazing experience, but you need to weigh everything correctly. For most people, a one-year exchange is more than enough to benefit greatly from studying abroad.

If you want to be a filmmaker, going to the states to study is great. America is #1 when it comes to successful blockbusters.

Similarly, if you want to be a Japanese translater, studying in Japan is the only way to go.

However, if you plan to work in the states and just want to study in Japan because it sounds cool or you think it'd be a good experience, probably just going for one year through a local school would be a lot better than wasting so much time and money on something that won't help you achieve the end result.

I'm not trying to disuade anyone, just giving some things to consider ;)
keatonatron

Postby two_heads_talking » Thu 08.17.2006 9:28 am

keatonatron pretty much summed it up.. maybe a year or two in japan would be worth the experience more than 3-4 years at a japanese university..

weigh your options, make your choice. just be careful
two_heads_talking

Postby Ezrach » Thu 08.17.2006 10:24 am

My wife went to Japan and did intensive Japanese study for a year and a half (she knew absolutely no Japanese prior) with the intention of taking an entrance exam. She passed JLPT level 1 and got into a national university on the first try. She had an unfair advantage, though, in that she's Korean, and the grammar structure and some words are identical. It would be like an American studying Spanish.

If you don't have to go into college immediately, you might consider a similar route. You will definitely need to invest time into the language in a classroom environment. Self-study from beginner level will not suffice.

If you apply as an international student, I think your entrance exam is different than a normal entrance exam, but I can't back this up with anything concrete. I just remember hearing about the system somewhere. My wife is asleep so I can't ask her at the moment, and I only studied for a year in Japan under an exchange program, so I'm not positive.
Last edited by Ezrach on Thu 08.17.2006 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ezrach

Postby clay » Thu 08.17.2006 10:28 am

She passed JLPT level 1 and got into a national university on the first try.

Nice. I've met a Chinese lady who was able to pass JLPT 1 kyuu after just a year of studying.

If it works both ways... Makes me want to start studying Korean! Then maybe I can figure out why Yon-sama is so popular B)
clay
Site Admin

Postby keatonatron » Thu 08.17.2006 11:58 am

clay wrote:
She passed JLPT level 1 and got into a national university on the first try.

Nice. I've met a Chinese lady who was able to pass JLPT 1 kyuu after just a year of studying.

I'm all too used to this sort of thing. All my classmates are Chinese and Korean. Sometimes it's tough to keep up :(

I pride myself in the fact that all my classmates are horrible at katakana-ized English words, but I know almost all of them without looking anything up :D That's nearly half the language right there! (joke)

This is the test you have to take to enter a university as a foreign student: http://www.jasso.go.jp/eju/index_e.html
keatonatron

Postby Sumi » Thu 08.17.2006 12:51 pm

keatonatron wrote:
Many people think about the "fun" factor, but once the fun is over and they've got a degree that no one takes seriously, they might start having second thoughts.

My grandmother (who lives in Japan) and I were discussing this (as my junior & senior year creeps along). She said that it would be easier to go to Stanford, then come to Japan. She thinks that if I go to a "big time" American college, I'll have an easier time finding a job. Eh, I'm not too sure about that though.
Besides, with my family budget, I don't have the kind of money to go to another country right now.
ねえ、あのう、弟さん、ここに遊んじゃだめだよ。あそこは酸があるんだよ。
Sumi

Postby keatonatron » Thu 08.17.2006 1:33 pm

Sumi wrote:
She said that it would be easier to go to Stanford, then come to Japan. She thinks that if I go to a "big time" American college, I'll have an easier time finding a job.

It's true!
keatonatron

Postby clay » Thu 08.17.2006 1:47 pm

keatonatron wrote:
I pride myself in the fact that all my classmates are horrible at katakana-ized English words, but I know almost all of them without looking anything up :D That's nearly half the language right there! (joke)

Yep! I remember that feeling. I had a good Chinese classmate friend who had never heard of The Beatles or the English word 'beetle' :) I found that really hard to believe (Beatles not beetles), but it just goes to show despite our kanji weakness, English speakers still have a huge advantage.
clay
Site Admin

Postby chiisu321 » Thu 08.17.2006 7:24 pm

I don't want to just go to college in japan for the fun factor (or i don't believe that's why =/). It's more of a boredom problem i have. I'm aware that it would be pretty pointless to get a degree there and then try to get a job here. I intend to stay after i graduate. If i did come back (or go somewhere else) it wouldn't be for several years. Also, if i don't like the choice i've made it would be possible to transfer to a school back in the states.

Self study is not something I like or chose. There is no one in my area(to my knowledge) that could teach me. Until i find a tutor I'm on my own.
(just to put it out there, if you know anyone in the VA area........<_< >_>)

I'm considering just attending a language based school for a year and then testing to go to a regular university. If i do that though, I would like to attend a prep (cram) school too, if i can, to make sure i can pass the entrance exam.

I appreciate the comments. They bring about new ways to look at things. I believe that if i work hard enough and want it enough i can pull it off (not to sound corny or anything). Because it's something I really want to do, to me, giving up without trying, is worse then failing.I expect this to be incredibly difficult, but the fact that it's not impossible keeps my goal alive. (sorry in advance if i've made spelling mistakes) >_<
Last edited by chiisu321 on Thu 08.17.2006 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chiisu321

Postby keatonatron » Fri 08.18.2006 1:47 am

chiisu321 wrote:
It's more of a boredom problem i have.

This is what bothers me.

Why not try attending a school in the states (easy to get in, financial support, possibility of doing an excange if you're still "bored") but somewhere far from home (still quite an adventure, a chance to start a new life)? Many colleges, like the University of Washington, have excellent Japanese language programs, and very affordable exchange programs that allow you to really experience school in Japan.

I went to college not too far from home. However, it was my first time living on my own, and it was an AMAZING experience. I'd say I learned just as much as I did coming to Japan, but perhaps even more so because I could easily talk to all the people around me and really understand the different opinions people had that were different from what I was used to at home. If I had come to Japan before being able to grow like that, I think I would have had a very difficult time.
keatonatron

Next

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan