Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - GAH!

GAH!

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

GAH!

Postby Eiko » Sun 05.22.2005 8:37 pm

Right now, I'm working on learning the basics on conjugating verbs. I understand (mostly) about the consonant and vowel verbs. But now, I'm not so sure:

These are consonant verbs, right?

Abaku
Aburu
Arau

And these are vowel verbs, correct?

Abiru
Abiseru
Afureru

So, AFURERU, would be "afuremasu" and not "afurerimasu"? And, does this mean that any verb, in its dictionary form, if it ends in -eru, -iru-, or -aru, is a vowel verb?
That makes me sad. :( I thought I had it, too.
Seeking a pen pal and to learn more about Japan. nagomey@aol.com. Thank you.
Eiko

RE: GAH!

Postby kanadajin » Sun 05.22.2005 9:01 pm

i'm not sure but i think you were wight the first time.. because i think thats wrong

I'm not sure.. lol
Last edited by kanadajin on Sun 05.22.2005 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kanadajin

Postby Mukade » Mon 05.23.2005 7:50 am

What I think you are calling "Vowel Verbs" are often called "Group I Verbs" or "-U Verbs" in Japanese language class are (it depends on which textbook you are using). They are called the Go-dan doushi, or "5-step Verbs" in Japanese.

Some examples:

kau
kiku
sasu
tatsu
shinu
yomu
kaeru
tobu

Basically, any verb that doesn't fit into the next two categories is a 5-step Verb.

-----

The "Group II Verbs" or "-Ru Verbs" are called iru/eru doushi in Japanese. Basically, any verb that ends in an iru or eru sound fall into this category (I highlighted 'basically' because there are a few exceptions, like "kaeru" from above).

Some examples:

miru
ireru
kiru
taberu

-----

The "Group III Verbs" or "Irregular Verbs" are easy to remember since there are only two - suru and kuru.
Mukade

Native language: English

Postby Eiko » Mon 05.23.2005 10:30 pm

Um, thank you for the help, but I still don't understand. I'll just have to wait until I get into a Japanese class. But all the same, arigato gozaimasu.
Seeking a pen pal and to learn more about Japan. nagomey@aol.com. Thank you.
Eiko

Postby InsanityRanch » Sun 05.29.2005 8:51 pm

I'll take a stab at this one, too.

Most verbs that end "eru" or "iru" are ichidan, which I think you are calling vowel verbs.

But there are exceptions!

帰る (kaeru) meaning return, is a godan verb, which you are calling a consonant verb, I think. However 変える (also kaeru) meaning change, is an ichidan verb.

In most cases the distinction can be made by looking at the plain form in Japanese: ichidan verbs mostly are written with two syllables after the kanji -- the 'e' or 'i' syllable and ru. So: 食べる(taberu), 下げる(sageru), 浴びる(abiru) are typical ichidan verbs. The "regular" exceptions are two-syllable verbs such as 見る(miru) and 得る(eru), where the penultimate syllable is actually "inside" the kanji.

Godan verbs, by contrast, are either written with only one syllable after the kanji like 行く(iku), 飛ぶ(tobu), and 帰る(kaeru), or the syllable before the ru is NOT an 'e' or 'i' sounding syllable like 高まる(takamaru) and 上がる(agaru).

Admittedly, this is not totally simple and for a beginner, the easiest solution may be simply to memorize the exceptional "eru" / "iru" verbs that are common. There are only a few I think...

HTH!

Shira
"Give me a fruitful error any time, full of seeds, bursting with its own corrections. You can keep your sterile truth for yourself." -- Vilfredo Pareto
InsanityRanch

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems