Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - 翻訳の専門学校?

翻訳の専門学校?

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

翻訳の専門学校?

Postby Ezrach » Sat 08.19.2006 10:16 pm

I'm looking to go back to school within the next two years (as soon as my wife graduates). We've been going over various routes, but what it boils down to is that I'd like to study translation. We're currently considering just having me do a couple of years at a 専門学校 in Japan. I know some of you are translators, or maybe some of you just know of some good resources. I'd really appreciate it if anyone could share their resources and information on schools throughout Japan that have 翻訳 programs. (As for background in the language - I majored in it)

Thanks much.
Ezrach

RE: 翻訳の専門学校?

Postby KNH » Sat 08.19.2006 10:41 pm

情報がありませんが、それはいい考えだと思います!私は翻訳者になりたいので、日本語を勉強します。でもまだ上手じゃありません。 まあ、頑張ってくださいね〜  :p
Last edited by KNH on Sat 08.19.2006 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KNH

Postby keatonatron » Sun 08.20.2006 12:52 am

I haven't heard about any translation programs. The only guy I know who is doing translation simply studied until he was really good and applied for the job. Of course, he's one of those "language people". He speaks English, Spanish, German, Japanese, Mandarin, and Cantonese, and his study of the Chinese languages has helped him with kanji a lot. Maybe he's not a good example.

I was thinking about this the other day. A lot of people (myself included) can speak and understand everything on the English side, and can speak and understand everything on the Japanese side, but passing information from one side to the other is quite difficult. I was thinking there must be special training that would help you get more comfortable with it, but I've never seen a school for it. It seems like all the people I've heard about that are translators grew up bilingual and they can just... do it.

Did you try looking on the web? This is just the first result from google:
http://www.eigotrans.com/school/school.shtml
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby Ezrach » Sun 08.20.2006 1:10 am

I've come across Chinese <-> Japanese interpretation, as well as Korean <-> Japanese interpretation courses, but nothing for translation, and nothing at all for English. It seems like there are only language schools that drill you in the language, but no specific skills besides passing the university entrance exam.

I came across the link you posted, keatonatron, and I should go through it in depth. The initial image of school names like "Wise Infinity" was a turn-off, but maybe the site is just a diamond in the rough, and I need to actually navigate it to find the gem.

I took on some temp work in translating last year to supplement my income as an English tape-recorder, and I had a tough time with just 3 pages of lawyer babel, having to translate a web site's terms of service. It was an eye-opening experience.
Ezrach

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan