Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Jobs in Japan

Jobs in Japan

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Jobs in Japan

Postby Sumi » Sun 08.20.2006 10:46 pm

I was reading about the need of lawyers in Japan. I was wondering how difficult is it for a foreigner to become a lawyer in Japan? Since I want too, is it better for me to go to a law school here in the states and then go to Japan?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060820/ap_on_re_as/going_to_court
ねえ、あのう、弟さん、ここに遊んじゃだめだよ。あそこは酸があるんだよ。
Sumi

RE: Jobs in Japan

Postby chikara » Sun 08.20.2006 11:14 pm

This blog of an American lawyer working in a Japanese law office may give you some useful insights.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby keatonatron » Mon 08.21.2006 6:10 am

Moved from Grammar section.

I'm sure it could be done, but I don't know how many Japanese people would opt to put their well-being in your hands. I guess you could work as a prosecutor. Plus learning all the lawyer lingo would be really hard and could have very large consequences if you misunderstand something.

Generally, jobs where miscommunication due to language barrier could ruin someone's life should probably be avoided (i.e. police, doctor, lawyer, fireman, plastic surgeon, etc.)

I wouldn't disuade you from becoming a lawyer, and I wouldn't disuade you from trying to live and work in Japan, but I can't say I support the idea of mixing the two.
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby Mike Cash » Mon 08.21.2006 6:18 am

keatonatron wrote:
Moved from Grammar section.

I'm sure it could be done

It would only require a very high mastery of some very difficult Japanese (yes, they have the same impenetrable "legalese" that lawyers the world over have), acceptance (very competitive) to Japanese law school, graduation from the school, and passing the national bar exam. I'm not sure, but it may require Japanese citizenship as well. A perfunctory J-Google search returned nothing definitive.

I guess you could work as a prosecutor.

I feel almost 100% certain in saying that working as a prosecutor does require Japanese citizenship.
Mike Cash

Postby AJBryant » Mon 08.21.2006 10:32 am

Plus there are all those interpersonal cues and things (haragei, etc.) that really are hard to learn, and are best picked up while growing up in the culture...

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan