Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - What music do YOU listen to?

What music do YOU listen to?

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

RE: What music do YOU listen to?

Postby requemao » Fri 08.18.2006 10:22 pm

kanadajin wrote:
barbershop music... hmm like the music they play in barbershops..? If you like that, then I like elevator music.

Actually it originated in barber shops, very long ago. Or, at least, so it's told.

If you don't happen to know what kind of music it is, I'll tell you and I'll give you a link to a video on youtube.

In a nutshell, it's male-only quartets singing popular songs a capella in close harmony. Like this:
OC Times, 2006 International Semi-Final Round
Last edited by requemao on Fri 08.18.2006 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Iwanu ga Hana
requemao

Postby kanadajin » Mon 08.21.2006 1:18 pm

If you don't happen to know what kind of music it is, I'll tell you and I'll give you a link to a video on youtube

I have no clue what it is..
kanadajin

Postby requemao » Mon 08.21.2006 5:07 pm

kanadajin wrote:
If you don't happen to know what kind of music it is, I'll tell you and I'll give you a link to a video on youtube

I have no clue what it is..

Did you try reading the rest of my post? You would have found out.

I think I should have rephrased it as "since you say you don't know what it its, I'll tell you and then give you a link", because I did both things.
Iwanu ga Hana
requemao

Postby elXco » Mon 08.21.2006 5:14 pm

I like mostly alternative rock but I also like Salamander which is a hard rock song.
I like DMB, Darkness, Duran Duran, I love Red Hot Chilli Peppers, and much more!
Seldom Jpop is good and some is really bad. IMO

The Japanese songs I like are:

Mr. Children is pretty good. I like that new song he/they sing.
O yeah and Aqua Timez
Ayumi Hamazaki (Blue Bird) :D

BTW is Ayumi Hamazaki's music directed to girls?
I really enjoy her song Blue Bird and I'm a guy
Last edited by elXco on Mon 08.21.2006 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
elXco

Postby Neko Ninja » Mon 08.21.2006 5:29 pm

I find that all music is good in some strange way, but if I had to choose favorites I would probably say rock, techno, dance, and classical. All good. Even better mixed together. (Hint: Think about "Coldplay")
If I got a nickel for everytime I wasn\'t nervous around a Japanese person, I would have two pennies and gumstick. - True Quote from me

Guns don\'t kill people. It the people with guns, that kill people. - Unknown

Hiragana: 15/45
Katakana: 0/0
Kanji: 3
Neko Ninja

Postby Strawberry_Juice » Mon 08.21.2006 7:17 pm

I'll listen to just about anything, really. I just put everything on shuffle all the time, so I'll get some Missy Elliot and then some Berlioz. :p

But my favorite band for the time being is Muse. Just saw them last month in San Diego and will be seeing them again here in Vegas in September! One of those bands that's at their peak live.
Strawberry_Juice

Postby emingygurl » Mon 08.21.2006 7:30 pm

JPop/Rock. XD Gackt, Hamasaki Ayumi, Utada Hikaru, Orange Range, 3B Lab*s, Nana Kitade, L'Arc~en~Ciel, UVERworld.
"It's not that I want to win, it's just that I don't want to lose."- Gackt
emingygurl

Postby kanadajin » Mon 08.21.2006 8:20 pm

Did you try reading the rest of my post? You would have found out.

Yes I did and I read..

If you don't happen to know what kind of music it is, I'll tell you and I'll give you a link to a video on youtube.

I didn't see the rest.. I thought I had read it all.. That happens to me sometimes >.>
kanadajin

Postby Rsquared333 » Mon 08.21.2006 8:26 pm

Punk!!! (old school stuff mostly but there are a few good bands out there)

Old school rap (when they didn't have to cuss every other word)

Heavy metal (slayer!!!!!!!)

AFI they are hard to fit in a genre but they are pretty much my favorite band.

and finally anything I think sounds good :-)
It is never too late to be what you might have been.
Rsquared333

Postby kanadajin » Mon 08.21.2006 9:58 pm

Old school rap (when they didn't have to cuss every other word)

what about tupac? do you listen to him?
kanadajin

Postby Rsquared333 » Tue 08.22.2006 2:21 am

kanadajin wrote:what about tupac? do you listen to him?

I am not a big fan of him, I don't like what he represented (whether intentionally or unintentionally) with his music. I don't like singers who glorify being a "gangster". I also don't like artists who use the "n" word in their music. As you can probably tell I don't like almost everything that comes out now a days.

The best old school stuff didn't cuss at all.
Last edited by Rsquared333 on Tue 08.22.2006 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rsquared333

Postby kanadajin » Thu 08.24.2006 1:38 pm

I am not a big fan of him, I don't like what he represented (whether intentionally or unintentionally) with his music. I don't like singers who glorify being a "gangster". I also don't like artists who use the "n" word in their music.

Well, if you listened to his older music he doesn't glorify being a gangster.. Like his songs

Changes, i aint mad at cha, smile, keep ya head up, ghetto gosple, life goes on.. ect.

And I hope you don't mind me asking.. by why do you care if they say the 'n' word or not..
kanadajin

RE: listening to music

Postby rborc415 » Thu 08.24.2006 2:15 pm

I grew up on rock and roll, mowtown, and the Beatles (genuflecting..)
I'm not into alot of what passes for music these days, especially not hip-hop or rap. I've pretty much revolted against what I've been subjected to on the radio of late, although I find some of the techno stuff interesting.
I'm originally a guitarist, but I'm also learning fiddle and tin whistle, so I enjoy alot of celtic music.
Basically, if someone sits down and writes a song with a good narrative, I'm all ears. People like Richard Thompson come to mind, as well as John Hyatt.
Classical has always been a mainstay (Bach, Mozart, Chopin, Rachmaninov)
But every once in a while I have to dig up my copy of Abbey Road :D
Last edited by rborc415 on Thu 08.24.2006 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ロバート
rborc415

Postby Rsquared333 » Thu 08.24.2006 6:07 pm

kanadajin wrote:
Well, if you listened to his older music he doesn't glorify being a gangster.. Like his songs

Changes, i aint mad at cha, smile, keep ya head up, ghetto gosple, life goes on.. ect.

I didn't say all his songs. Personally I don't find "changes" that bad seeing as the original song was pretty good. His persona did glorify the "thug life" though. He was one of the few rappers that did actually care about the community but unfortunatly he and his friends were involved in a lot of gangster activity. The incident that involved his death started with him beating up another gang member in retaliation. It was not just the music that promted the lifestyle it was his life that did.

kanadajin wrote:
And I hope you don't mind me asking.. by why do you care if they say the 'n' word or not..

It is ok to ask questions.

I know what it is like to be on the recieving end of that word when it is not from a rapper.

I don't feel there is any need for that word and I don't understand why black people (mostly the youth of today) still use it.
Last edited by Rsquared333 on Thu 08.24.2006 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rsquared333

Postby kanadajin » Thu 08.24.2006 7:17 pm

I didn't say all his songs.

I know sorry.. I didn't mean to make it sound like that..

It is ok to ask questions.

I know what it is like to be on the recieving end of that word when it is not from a rapper.

I don't feel there is any need for that word and I don't understand why black people (mostly the youth of today) still use it.

yeah I know what it's like to be on the recieving end of that word too.. I don't care(as much) if someones just.. well.. If they call me that word Directly meaning "black slave" I'd get very mad.. If they just say it in a sentece(the way rappers use it) I might not get mad.. This might sound racist but.. I'd get mad if someone white called me it, even if they just use it in a sentence..

Anyway..
kanadajin

PreviousNext

Return to General off topic