Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Funny/Embarrassing things that happened to you

Funny/Embarrassing things that happened to you

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

Funny/Embarrassing things that happened to you

Postby emingygurl » Mon 08.21.2006 7:28 pm

Let's talk about funny or embarrassing things that happened to you while in Japan, or while learning Japanese, or anything related in any way to Japanese. =P Mine isn't really funny, but it has potential to be in the future if the habit gets worse.

We have to have two years of a foreign language, and since my school doesn't have Japanese, I'm in Spanish II this year. Thing is, my interest in it is 0. When my teacher asks what a certain word is, like, "Does anyone remember the word for ten?" Instead of thinking 'diez' like I should, my mind instead jumps to 'ju." x_x

Another example is the girl that used to sit beside me was saying she didn't even know what the word 'what' was in Spanish. I was really close to blurting out 'nani' x_x See the potential danger? One of these days I will blurt out some Japanese in front of the whole class. They'll look at me like, "o.O....What?"

So what are some things you've done/doing?
Last edited by emingygurl on Mon 08.21.2006 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It's not that I want to win, it's just that I don't want to lose."- Gackt
emingygurl

RE: Funny/Embarrassing things that happened to you

Postby Ezrach » Mon 08.21.2006 8:39 pm

emingygurl wrote:
Let's talk about funny or embarrassing things that happened to you while in Japan, or while learning Japanese, or anything related in any way to Japanese. =P Mine isn't really funny, but it has potential to be in the future if the habit gets worse.

So, why don't you enroll in a local community college course? Your school is obligated to let you take courses elsewhere for the same credit if they can't provide the classes, and not only does it count towards your highschool degree, you also get college credit for it, which you can apply to any university degree in the future.
Ezrach

Postby emingygurl » Mon 08.21.2006 8:43 pm

I thought of that as well, but my community college..get this..doesn't have Japanese. -.- And I looked online for any tutors or classes in my city; no luck. See why I hate it here? lol
emingygurl

Postby requemao » Mon 08.21.2006 9:25 pm

emingygurl wrote:
We have to have two years of a foreign language, and since my school doesn't have Japanese, I'm in Spanish II this year. Thing is, my interest in it is 0. When my teacher asks what a certain word is, like, "Does anyone remember the word for ten?" Instead of thinking 'dies' like I should, my mind instead jumps to 'ju." x_x

It is a pity that you don't have any interest in Spanish. I understand some reasons why Japanese is more appealing, but Spanish is surely more useful (and more difficult, yes, I know).

[rant]
And it is even more of a pity that they don't teach you to differenciate S from Z (you wrote 'dies', when it's 'diez'). Being English your mother tongue you know well what a pain in the neck it is to learn to spell when pronunciation does not help. Thus, if you pronounce S and Z the same way you will have trouble writing. It happens to Latin Americans, I see it everyday on Internet forums: the S Vs. C/Z makes for more than half of their spelling mistakes. Of course, in order to learn standard Spanish you would need a teacher who knows it and can teach it, and those do not abound.
[/rant] (now I feel better)

But then, it's great that you like Japanese and want to learn it even if you don't need it. がんばってください!

Now let's get back on track...

Mine is not very funny, but surely embarrassing. Once I had to speak with an English teacher of mine. In the middle of the conversation (in English) she asked me something and I replied "はい!". She was like, "we've already been speaking for a minute, it's not the time to say 'hi'.... "
Iwanu ga Hana
requemao

Postby kanadajin » Mon 08.21.2006 9:35 pm

You know.. I think this thread would have a lot more posts if you just put it in the off topic section and just let people tell funny/embarrassing things that has happened anywhere and anytime. But thats just my opinion..

Man.. I can't remember what I said.. Well I'll post it when I remember, it was something about a tree and a bathroom.. don't ask XD
kanadajin

Postby emingygurl » Mon 08.21.2006 9:43 pm

o.o Tree and a bathroom? lol

And requemao, I do know the 'z' is pronounced as an 's' in Spanish. I haven't written much Spanish last year and this year, so it's a habit typing it how I say it.

Also, in response to the statement of not needing Japanese, I'm planning to go to TUJ and spend a few years in Japan afterwards. -.- So yes. I kind of do need to learn the language.
Last edited by emingygurl on Mon 08.21.2006 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
emingygurl

Postby tanuki » Mon 08.21.2006 9:47 pm

emingygurl wrote:
When my teacher asks what a certain word is, like, "Does anyone remember the word for ten?" Instead of thinking 'dies' like I should, my mind instead jumps to 'ju." x_x

*ahem* diez *ahem*

EDIT: Wow, das was terribly late, I'm sorry. I had the window open for too long before answering.
Last edited by tanuki on Mon 08.21.2006 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby tanuki » Mon 08.21.2006 9:57 pm

And it is even more of a pity that they don't teach you to differenciate S from Z

Maybe she's learning Latin American Spanish. I've heard of Americans learning that instead of Spain's Spanish, which makes sense, since they will probably be using it more with Latin Americans.

I don't really find it a "pity", because an American talking in not-so-fluent Spanish with a Spanish accent in Latin America would sound really weird, and the goal is to sound natural, right?

Of course it depends on where will the person use the language.
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby Torunamu » Mon 08.28.2006 8:50 pm

emingygurl wrote:
I thought of that as well, but my community college..get this..doesn't have Japanese. -.- And I looked online for any tutors or classes in my city; no luck. See why I hate it here? lol

I'm in the same predicament. It'd be nice if a JLPT certificate could substitute.
Torunamu

Return to General off topic