Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - This user is online

This user is online

Spotted any errors or found anything that doesn't work?

This user is online

Postby kanadajin » Mon 08.21.2006 10:34 pm

Im really sorry if this was suggested before but I didn't know what to type in the search.. I did try though.. I typed in Online XD

I know we have that "users online" thing at the bottem of the page but.. it's kinda weird.. And it doesn't seem to work for me. But anyway, I was thinking it would be cool if we had something maybe on the user's profile.. Indicating if the user was online or not.. Anyone here who uses Myspace should know what im talking about. I don't think it should be that hard(but what do I know ^^)

yeah so.. yeah
kanadajin

RE: This user is online

Postby randomperson » Mon 08.21.2006 10:38 pm

how does the users online not work for you, does it not display names or what?
randomperson

Postby kanadajin » Mon 08.21.2006 10:43 pm

Sometimes it doesn't display names.. Sometimes im positive the user is offline and signed off but it still shows their name even after refreshing.. and sometimes It says im offline when Im signed on.

This is just and example Of what I mean..

http://i7.tinypic.com/258pehl.jpg
Last edited by kanadajin on Mon 08.21.2006 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kanadajin

Postby zengargoyle » Mon 08.21.2006 11:57 pm

define "online".

when you have logged in to TJP, and have a cookie, then every time to load a TJP page that has the Online Users panel your user_id and the current time are inserted into an 'online users' database table. then all entries in that table that are over 5 minutes old are deleted. then the remaining table entries (i.e., users who have loaded a TJP page in the past 5 minutes) are displayed.

if you have not loaded a TJP page in the past 5 minutes... you are offline. otherwise if you have loaded a TJP page in the past 5 minutes... you are online. that's all there is to it.

maybe this Myspace thing has some javascript that contacts the server every minute or so while the browser window is open. i wouldn't like that. i have a browser tab open on TJP 24/7 for weeks at a time, so with the javascript thingy i would always be 'online'...
zengargoyle

Postby kanadajin » Tue 08.22.2006 12:07 am

I see..Okay well, I tried :D
kanadajin

Return to Problems