Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - ほろにが?

ほろにが?

Do you have a translation question?

ほろにが?

Postby Shizen » Wed 05.25.2005 1:11 am

Came across this word which doesn't exist in Jim Breen's WWJDIC and seems to be quite popular (I've seen quite a lot website with horoniga.htm page name) so if anyone have any clue to what this generally is, drop a line.
恐竜男
Shizen

RE: Horonigai = bittersweet

Postby Tomo » Wed 05.25.2005 1:51 am

"Horonigai" is "bittersweet" or "slightly bitter", I think.

This word is used for
1. beer which is not sweet
2. chocolate which is not sweet
3. memory which usually ended in failure
(but it's a good memory now that things have come to this pass)

In Japan, enjoying Horonigasa(bittersweetness) is one of the factors to be an adult. Foods with this bittersweetness are called "OTONA-NO AJI" in Japanese, which means "the taste for adults". e.g.) Coffee, beer, and MACCHA(powdered green tea). Do you like these things?

By the way, How do you describe for not sweet beer in English? B)
Last edited by Tomo on Wed 05.25.2005 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tomo

RE: ほろにが?

Postby spin13 » Thu 05.26.2005 12:17 am

Tomo wrote:
By the way, How do you describe for not sweet beer in English? B)

Well, the most common usage would be 'bitter' as in, "This beer is a bit too bitter." However, this is not to be confused with a bitter, an actual type of beer prominent in England. The next best is 'hoppy' as hops is the grain that tends to add this non-sweet quality to the brew. 'Bittersweet' wouldn't be a bad description of some styles, but after that its seems to be whatever comes to mind when the beer hits your tongue.

Then again, beer, similar to music and other such broad productions, have been classified far beyond everyday use. What's the difference between a bitter, an extra special bitter, a pale ale, and a pale mild ale? There are multitudes of different malts, hops, and grains that go into making beer and each combination has been catalogued and classified. Not to mention the type of water and process used. It's almost a hopeless pursuit to learn it all!

Since we're on the subject, and this is a Japanese forum, I'll share this little tidbit of information:

From http://www.beeradvocate.com
Japanese beer companies produce what's called "Happoshu," which is sparkling low malt beverage. Since the tax for Happoshu is much less than the tax for beer, happoshu is cheaper than beer. For that reason, Happoshu has become very popular in Japan. Happoshu classification occurs when an ingredient other than malt, hops, rice, corn, kaoliang, potato, starch, or sugar is used, or if the malt ratio is less than 67%.

I can't find a dictionary definition of happoshu, but I would guess it comes from:

発泡 [はっぽう] - (n) foaming.

The individual kanji lend themselves to the definition of 'leaving bubbles' or 'carbonated.' I'd actually be curious if somebody more knowledgable than I could explain the entire definition.

-Eric
spin13

Native language: English

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion