Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - What music do YOU listen to?

What music do YOU listen to?

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

RE: What music do YOU listen to?

Postby DeathOfSoul » Sun 08.27.2006 1:12 am

Jrock baby! ~<3

The main bands I listen to are:
-D'espairsRay
-Deathgaze
-AnCafe
-Rentrer en soi
-Dir en grey
-Miyavi
-and Phantasmagoria
DeathOfSoul

Postby Sumi » Sun 08.27.2006 1:35 am

Dir en Greyと雅はいいバーンド。
ねえ、あのう、弟さん、ここに遊んじゃだめだよ。あそこは酸があるんだよ。
Sumi

Postby LeGasp » Wed 08.30.2006 10:34 am

The Yeah Yeah Yeahs are a great group, and How to save a life by The Fray is a good song. I dont like their other songs though. Here In Your Arms by Hellogoodbye is such a great song too. Their other songs are good too. Greenday is great and that goes without saying. Evanesence (Call Me When Your Sober, My Immortal *older song*) Death Cab for Cutie is a great band too. :D
Last edited by LeGasp on Wed 08.30.2006 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Katakana-All
Hiragana- All
(YAY ^ ^....fianlly)
Kanji-.....scared to death
LeGasp

Postby MoogleFan » Mon 09.18.2006 2:39 am

THE LIBERTINES! One of the most brilliant bands ever. The guy in my avatar was a singer/guitarist in that band, until they broke up... :( His new band Dirty Pretty Things is excellent, though, and Pete Doherty's Babyshambles is a pretty good band.
I listen to anything I think is good...I love music and would heartily suggest listening to any of the following bands...A lot of British music, old and new: Blur, Kaiser Chiefs, Bloc Party, Goldfrapp, Echo & the Bunnymen, The Smiths, Duran Duran, Love and Rockets, Siouxsie & the Banshees, The Clash, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones American: The Doors, Television, The White Stripes, The Strokes, Talking Heads, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Rage Against the Machine...
And then, there's Gackt. ^_~
MoogleFan

Postby Silver Apocalypse » Mon 09.25.2006 3:20 pm

Me?

I listen to anything really: Hip hop/rap, R&B, pop, country to a certain extent [though the new songs aren't all that great], rock, jpop, foreign songs, reggae, soca, calypso, anime/game songs, classical.

Basically I listen to anyone who can ACTUALLY sing and good bands that have great beats. I have, like Sachi up there, one of the most random IPods you could ever hear...you name the genre I probably have it, except heavy metal since I can never understand what they're saying.

Artists:Christina Aguilera, Celine Dion, Do As Infinity, Nickelback, Linkin Park, Evanescence, Hinder, Mariah Carey, Origa, Shakira, Namie Amuro, Charolette Church, Avenged Sevenfold, Mary J. Blige, TuPac, Eminem, Whitney Houstan, Lady Shaw, Alison Hinds, Sean Paul, Keyshia Cole, Ayumi Hamasaki... the list goes on.
Silver Apocalypse

Postby Sumi » Mon 09.25.2006 4:56 pm

My music interests are pretty diverse when it comes to Japanese music is general. I mean, I like Dir en Grey and Morning Musume at the same time? Odd, two different genres and sounds but they both are good. I love Mary J. Blige too. Her music is good and really speaks to me.
ねえ、あのう、弟さん、ここに遊んじゃだめだよ。あそこは酸があるんだよ。
Sumi

Postby Rsquared333 » Mon 09.25.2006 8:47 pm

kanadajin wrote:If they just say it in a sentece(the way rappers use it) I might not get mad.. This might sound racist but.. I'd get mad if someone white called me it, even if they just use it in a sentence..

I am curious to know your reasoning for this. I am not trying to be condescending I am really just curious.
It is never too late to be what you might have been.
Rsquared333

Postby kanadajin » Mon 09.25.2006 9:37 pm

I am curious to know your reasoning for this. I am not trying to be condescending I am really just curious.

Im not comfortable saying this because I know someone is going to trip.. But It's just the way I was brought up.. I learned about black history.. And that the white people were the slave masters, and the black people would call each other This word and be called it by the slave masters.. So I guess when white people say it I kind of think of the slavery.. and when black people say it I still think of the slavery but I wouldnt think it's as bad because it wasn't the black people making other black people pick cotton..

So yeah, thats jsut what I learned growing up...

EDIT: Maybe I should have responded to that privatley >.>.. Oh well, hopfully no one will ask me anymore..
Last edited by kanadajin on Mon 09.25.2006 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kanadajin

Postby BrianM » Mon 09.25.2006 10:23 pm

classic rock, heavy metal, some grunge, OLD punk(British Invasion and the Ramones)
Industrial,80's synth pop(A Flock of Seagulls,some Duran Duran and others).
My favorite band is Judas Priest! \m/.Cause of this site i found of about Sex Machineguns and i can't stop listening to "demae michi icchokusen"!! Awesome song!
yea i think thats about it
BrianM

Native language: English/Portuguese

Postby Rsquared333 » Mon 09.25.2006 10:37 pm

kanadajin wrote:

Im not comfortable saying this because I know someone is going to trip..

Don't feel bad about your thoughts especially about something so prevailent to you.

kanadajin wrote:
But It's just the way I was brought up.. I learned about black history.. And that the white people were the slave masters, and the black people would call each other This word and be called it by the slave masters.. So I guess when white people say it I kind of think of the slavery.. and when black people say it I still think of the slavery but I wouldnt think it's as bad because it wasn't the black people making other black people pick cotton..

Yes it was orginally used as slang for "negro" just denoting a person as black. Negro was derived from the latin word for black "niger".

The negative conotations of the word began shortly after slavery and have become most offensive in the 20th century.

Well if it makes you think of slavery in anyway don't you think it shouldn't be used?

kanadajin wrote:
EDIT: Maybe I should have responded to that privatley >.>.. Oh well, hopfully no one will ask me anymore..

sorry, I hope you won't feel uneasy to continue the conversation. I think it is an important one. One that if reason is used can be discussed openly even with people of other races.
Last edited by Rsquared333 on Mon 09.25.2006 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It is never too late to be what you might have been.
Rsquared333

Postby kanadajin » Tue 09.26.2006 8:51 pm

Well if it makes you think of slavery in anyway don't you think it shouldn't be used?

I mean, When white people say it, it makes me think of people getting whiped.. Like It's kinda saying.. I own you! When black people say it, it's kinda means like "friend". When the black people called each other this word, I'd think they kinda meant slave and partner..

sorry, I hope you won't feel uneasy to continue the conversation. I think it is an important one. One that if reason is used can be discussed openly even with people of other races.

Well, maybe. But I don't think it should be in the "what music do YOU listen to?" Thread :P

So let's get back on topic.. Please PM me if you want to continue the conversation.

Ok so, if any of you know Tech n9ne then you already know that this exists but.. My friend made a few songs and he calls the Genre "Rack" because it's rap mixed with rock, rock Music and rap lyrics.. I don't really like tech n9ne but I like my friends songs ;) SO I officially listen to.. Rack
kanadajin

Postby babybluejackets » Sat 09.30.2006 11:04 pm

I like all music. Thats one of the reasons I want to learn Japanese... and eventually Korean. I really love Hitomis music and Hyori Lee. They're just badass. B)
Last edited by babybluejackets on Sat 09.30.2006 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
babybluejackets

Postby kanadajin » Sat 09.30.2006 11:07 pm

I like all music. Thats one of the reasons I want to learn Japanese... and eventually Korean.

Well, if you find Japanese difficult. Good luck with Korean ;)

I like all music.

Hmm, Even Rap?
kanadajin

Postby babybluejackets » Sat 09.30.2006 11:48 pm

Yea... even rap. :D
I listen to rap like I listen to country. If its played I'll listen and like it... but I don't seek out country or rap music.

I don't know a single Korean letter or word, so I'm pretty sure it'll be very difficult to learn it. lol At least with Japanese I knew a few popular words like sushi & sayonara. :p
babybluejackets

Postby y0ungkwang » Thu 10.05.2006 7:24 am

I like pretty much classic and some new rock. I am a big Bob Dylan fan but he's pretty much considered Folk.
y0ungkwang

Previous

Return to General off topic