Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Stupid Questions

Stupid Questions

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

RE: Stupid Questions

Postby Harisenbon » Wed 08.30.2006 4:09 am

What you should do is write it once then WagaWiki it. Then the next time you can just link it.

I think that's even MORE insulting.

To me, that says
"Your question is so common and trite that I have taken the time and energy into making a WEB PAGE to belittle you."
:p
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby b4d0m3n » Wed 08.30.2006 5:58 am

This post made me sleepy. Sleepy with boundless rage, that is.
b4d0m3n

Postby paul_b » Wed 08.30.2006 6:13 am

Harisenbon wrote:
To me, that says
"Your question is so common and trite that I have taken the time and energy into making a WEB PAGE to belittle you."

And that's what makes it good. :D :D
paul_b

Postby datdo » Wed 08.30.2006 7:46 am

Some of my friends have asked me to show them what the kanji is for a particular word because they are thinking of having it tattooed. They all gave up after realizing that they would never remember what the pronunciation was or after seeing what the kanji looked like. So maybe if people ask questions they can see the faults in the thinking...maybe
And we all ask stupid questions from time to time. We might not even notice if its not pointed out to us. I know it happens to me all the time on the internet and I get flamed. Stupidity is in the eye of the beholder.
datdo

Postby keatonatron » Wed 08.30.2006 8:39 am

datdo wrote:
Stupidity is in the eye of the beholder.

Stupidity is in the eye of those less ignorant.

Stupid people usually think they're smart, and so do other stupid people.
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 08.30.2006 9:36 am

i am still trying to figure out what question the OP intended. unfortunately for me, it seems to have disolved into his rant about his grandfather and how studying japanese is stupid..

just for us dumb hicks out there, would y'all care to sit a spell and learn thissun some lessons? cuz i know y'all had a point. i just can' seem to wrap my mind around it.. ;)
two_heads_talking

Postby keatonatron » Wed 08.30.2006 9:58 am

He wasn't asking a question. He simply stated his disapproval with the way we talked about Japanese tattoos.

Once he got the explanation he was looking for, he was satisfied: "Very nicely said Kea-san. This type of response would encourage people to learn, instead of running them off."

I have problems wrapping my mind around Iwark's threads, but this one wasn't bad at all.
keatonatron

Postby paul_b » Wed 08.30.2006 10:10 am

keatonatron wrote:
Once he got the explanation he was looking for, he was satisfied: "Very nicely said Kea-san. This type of response would encourage people to learn, instead of running them off."

Incidentally I think that's worth putting in the wiki.
paul_b

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 08.30.2006 10:48 am

the only reason i asked is that the OP started of with "the only stupid question is the one unasked.. " then they go on a rant.. so i am sitting here wondering what stupid question they wanted answered? that is all.. (yes i am playing devil's advocate here.. leave me alone)
two_heads_talking

Postby adam » Wed 08.30.2006 10:59 am

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool"
~Shakespeare
adam

Postby clay » Wed 08.30.2006 11:48 am

On a lighter note, my cousins jokingly asked me if "konnichi wa, y'all" was Southern Japanese :D

Maybe we should just post a link to Keat's words of wisdom in the Wiki the next time we get a Tattoo question and leave it at that.

I know once I start down the smart alec street, there isn't much hope for me to come back.
clay
Site Admin

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 08.30.2006 12:57 pm

clay wrote:
On a lighter note, my cousins jokingly asked me if "konnichi wa, y'all" was Southern Japanese :D

Maybe we should just post a link to Keat's words of wisdom in the Wiki the next time we get a Tattoo question and leave it at that.

I know once I start down the smart alec street, there isn't much hope for me to come back.

AMEN
two_heads_talking

Postby Shibakoen » Wed 08.30.2006 7:24 pm

Very well said Keatonatron. You can put it in the FAQ, but it's not like anyone will read it. One thing to note...insults don't add anything constructive to an argument.[/parenting]

Harisenbon wrote:
What you should do is write it once then WagaWiki it. Then the next time you can just link it.

I think that's even MORE insulting.

To me, that says

I agree. I think this is similar to the message that the common "Google it" response sends, too. The main difference is that the Google It answer implies, "I don't want to waste the time to make the web page so I'll just let you search for it yourself."

Fair suck of the sav cobber, you aren't dinkum are you. I took a squiz at the link old mate posted but I don't reckon using "yall" to mean "you all" is ridgy didge. Are these seppos all on the turps or do they really speak that way?

WTF? [NC drawl] We really need to teach y'all some English. [/NC drawl] :D Don't belittle the "y'all." There're more of us around than you know.
Shibakoen

Postby keatonatron » Wed 08.30.2006 7:29 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:
the only reason i asked is that the OP started of with "the only stupid question is the one unasked.. " then they go on a rant.. so i am sitting here wondering what stupid question they wanted answered? that is all.. (yes i am playing devil's advocate here.. leave me alone)

That was a reference to the questions people ask about tattoos. "They aren't stupid questions, because there are no stupid questions. But you treat the poster like it's a stupid question" is basically what he was saying.

Devil.
keatonatron

Postby datdo » Wed 08.30.2006 9:19 pm

chikara wrote:
Fair suck of the sav cobber, you aren't dinkum are you. I took a squiz at the link old mate posted but I don't reckon using "yall" to mean "you all" is ridgy didge. Are these seppos all on the turps or do they really speak that way?

am I the only one who is still trying to translate this? Is there an online translator for this...dailect? The first time I read it I was sure it wasn't American english. No offense to chikara but I can't understand what this means.
datdo

PreviousNext

Return to General off topic