Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - question

question

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

question

Postby Kuroneko-chan » Tue 05.31.2005 6:02 pm

Okay, I downloaded the Learn Kana flashcards...thingy from this site, and I was wondering if anyone knew what Dakuten and Handakuten and/or Diphtongs are???:|
Kuroneko-chan

RE: question

Postby InsanityRanch » Tue 05.31.2005 10:34 pm

the dakuten turn an unvoiced consonant into a voiced one: k into g, s into z, t into d, ch and ts into dz (or just z), and h (for reasons known only to the Japanese) into b.

The handakuten turn h into p.

and diphthongs are generally written out in Japanese as double vowels or combinations of vowels, which is at least easier than English in that regard.

Shira
"Give me a fruitful error any time, full of seeds, bursting with its own corrections. You can keep your sterile truth for yourself." -- Vilfredo Pareto
InsanityRanch

Postby Kojiki » Tue 05.31.2005 10:44 pm

The above is perfect, but for a bit more visual idea. The dakuten is the quote looking thing ( " ) and the Hanadakuten is the little circle used only with H. Diphthongs are the double consonant sounds in Japanese that have a brief space between the preceeding syllable and the Diphthong syllable. It's usually indicated in Hiragana by a small "tsu" right where the space should be.
Last edited by Kojiki on Tue 05.31.2005 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Purveyor of the classics:

The Tale of Genji (currently)
The Kojiki (next in line)
The Houshin Engi (if I can find an English or Modern Japanese translation)
Kojiki

Postby zengargoyle » Tue 05.31.2005 11:42 pm

Kojiki wrote:
The above is perfect, but for a bit more visual idea. The dakuten is the quote looking thing ( " ) and the Hanadakuten is the little circle used only with H. Diphthongs are the double consonant sounds in Japanese that have a brief space between the preceeding syllable and the Diphthong syllable. It's usually indicated in Hiragana by a small "tsu" right where the space should be.

diphthongs are the vowel slides like in: hai. where the vowels slur together rather than
being pronounced seperately. hai vs. ha-i.

the double consonants are glottal stops: nippon. where the flow of air is momentarily
blocked by the glottis.
zengargoyle

Postby Kuroneko-chan » Wed 06.01.2005 7:19 pm

Thank you ^__^ I was so confused about it but I do have another question.
I read in the grammar section of this site that the Japanese right: subject-object-verb as opposed to subject-verb-object so I was was wondering if I were gong to say "Hello, everyone" in Japanese would i say "everyone" and then "hello"?
Kuroneko-chan

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems