Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Stupid Questions

Stupid Questions

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

RE: Stupid Questions

Postby chikara » Wed 08.30.2006 9:32 pm

datdo wrote:
chikara wrote:
Fair suck of the sav cobber, you aren't dinkum are you. I took a squiz at the link old mate posted but I don't reckon using "yall" to mean "you all" is ridgy didge. Are these seppos all on the turps or do they really speak that way?

am I the only one who is still trying to translate this? Is there an online translator for this...dailect? The first time I read it I was sure it wasn't American english. No offense to chikara but I can't understand what this means.

No wuckers mate ;)

It is a very colloquial form of オーストラリア弁 known as Strine

Just goes to show that it is very easy for one native English speaker not to have a clue what another native English speaker is saying.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby Infidel » Wed 08.30.2006 11:23 pm

The main difference is that the Google It answer implies, "I don't want to waste the time to make the web page so I'll just let you search for it yourself."

Google it implies. "If you are not willing to make a slight effort on your own behalf, why should I?" Especially if the answer is one of the top 5 hits, or Especially if the answer is all 5 top hits.

With an added dose of: "If you had googled it then you would know the answer already, instead of having to wait for it."

Learning isn't something other people do for you.
Last edited by Infidel on Thu 08.31.2006 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby AJBryant » Thu 08.31.2006 10:54 am

I agree. I think this is similar to the message that the common "Google it" response sends, too. The main difference is that the Google It answer implies, "I don't want to waste the time to make the web page so I'll just let you search for it yourself.

I have to disagree. What it *does* say is "You should be able to do this one yourself."

Depending on how it's presented, it COULD be insulting -- in the sense of "What, are you an idiot, such a frikkin' noob to the computer and the 'interweb' that you've never heard of GOOGLE? You never THOUGHT to look it up yourself? What kind of lazy, spoon-fed moron are you that you decided to ask someone else to take the time to find out something and give it to you rather than to actually get off your OWN metaphorical butt and do the legwork to find it? Were you so poorly educated that you never learned how to use a dictionary or an encyclopedia?"

Sometimes, I think that is a message that NEEDS to be sent.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby paul_b » Thu 08.31.2006 11:03 am

Shibakoen wrote:
Very well said Keatonatron. You can put it in the FAQ, but it's not like anyone will read it.

Well that's where you're wrong. 3,404 people have looked at the main FAQ page (never mind the other wiki content) which is 6 times more than have clicked on this thread.
paul_b

Postby Ongakuka » Thu 08.31.2006 11:09 am

Well that's where you're wrong. 3,404 people have looked at the main FAQ page (never mind the other wiki content) which is 6 times more than have clicked on this thread.

Yes but you have Shinobi trained from birth to visit the FAQ page. Either that or you pulled an Agent Smith and duplicated yourself a million times ;)
なぜなら、おまえは・・・・・・人形だ
Ongakuka

Postby Infidel » Thu 08.31.2006 2:13 pm

I do think that a large percentage of those hits are from the editing process.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby paul_b » Thu 08.31.2006 2:30 pm

Infidel wrote:

Some yes, but it doesn't count you once for each time you make an edit or refresh the page. I'm not sure exactly how it works but I am pretty sure the FAQ page hasn't had 1,500 edits made on it. :-P

[EDIT]OK I checked and it does count for each edit.
Last edited by paul_b on Thu 08.31.2006 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paul_b

Postby Code001 » Thu 08.31.2006 3:10 pm

AJBryant wrote:
I agree. I think this is similar to the message that the common "Google it" response sends, too. The main difference is that the Google It answer implies, "I don't want to waste the time to make the web page so I'll just let you search for it yourself.

I have to disagree. What it *does* say is "You should be able to do this one yourself."

Tony

I agree 100% and it's one of the reasons why I don't flood the board with posts. My Japanese is fairly low-level and with resources such as Google, searching TJP, the new Wiki and WWJDIC, 90% of my questions are answered. I'm sure once I get heavily into Kanji I'll be posting more, but in the mean time, I just sit back and absorb everything I possibly can.
Code001

Postby two_heads_talking » Thu 08.31.2006 3:20 pm

paul_b wrote:
Infidel wrote:

Some yes, but it doesn't count you once for each time you make an edit or refresh the page. I'm not sure exactly how it works but I am pretty sure the FAQ page hasn't had 1,500 edits made on it. :-P

i know you love hit counts. you really do, but as you mention you don't know how it works so are those unique hit counts? are they multiple hits from the same source etc.? that can really make a difference. I personally don't place much (some but not much) weight on hit counts
two_heads_talking

Postby richvh » Thu 08.31.2006 3:29 pm

There's less than 70 edits to the FAQ page, so the vast majority of the hits must come from hits not accrued during the edit process.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby Sunken » Thu 08.31.2006 3:29 pm

So, eh... what's the Japanese counterpart of "y'all", then?
Sunken

Postby magma » Thu 08.31.2006 3:32 pm

あなたがた?
あなた達?
magma

Native language: 米語

Postby two_heads_talking » Thu 08.31.2006 4:53 pm

omaera or kimira would fit nicely in the southern drawl
two_heads_talking

Postby requemao » Thu 08.31.2006 6:21 pm

'Omaera' is occasionally heard in anime, used mostly by bad guys and such. For some reason, I've always felt I shouldn't use it.
Last edited by requemao on Thu 08.31.2006 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Iwanu ga Hana
requemao

Postby chikara » Thu 08.31.2006 7:21 pm

AJBryant wrote:.....Depending on how it's presented, it COULD be insulting -- in the sense of "What, are you an idiot, such a frikkin' noob to the computer and the 'interweb' that you've never heard of GOOGLE? You never THOUGHT to look it up yourself? What kind of lazy, spoon-fed moron are you that you decided to ask someone else to take the time to find out something and give it to you rather than to actually get off your OWN metaphorical butt and do the legwork to find it? Were you so poorly educated that you never learned how to use a dictionary or an encyclopedia?"

Sometimes, I think that is a message that NEEDS to be sent..........

On the IT forums on which I am involved my standard response to a question where the asker could have simply looked it up the selves is this;

The answer you seek is here

When this doesn't work I call on Bart to explain what the poster should do.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

PreviousNext

Return to General off topic